YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The boys & I had some vouchers for PC World left over since Christmas and my birthday, so decided to get rid of them on Bank Holiday Monday.

Boys had decided that they wanted a wireless keyboard and mouse and some games .
I just wanted too enquire about a new battery for my laptop and a book on how to set up a wireless internet connection .

Basically , between us we had around £ 320 in vouchers to waste.

Off we went to our local PC World around lunchtime, but before hand went in to a Tesco’s super store with the wife , were the boys got a keyboard and mouse for £ 15 . After that shopping spree, we went next door to PC World and after an hour or so . Out we came with

New laptop with bargain bundle ( Laptop – wireless enabled, MS Vista, really fast and more memory than I’ll ever use //// laptop case , 25 blank rewriteable DVD’s, Nortons internet 2007 security protection bundle, 1 gig & 512 meg mem sticks FIFA 2007 game, USB Bluetooth key thinghy that the boys can send stuff to their phones ) all I a neat storage box.

This was marked up as a Bank Holiday special £ 349.99

Also to make life easier, we decided to get a new wireless router ( NETGEAR ) which came with a USB 108 mps wireless adapter, because I wanted 2 of these , the salesman threw and extra one in for a £ 10.

Well, F*** my old boots, after 4 months of trying to set up a wireless connection for the boys, all I did was installed the software and plugged in the adapters and within 45 minutes , the boys were on a computer upstairs in their room, one was sat in the living room on my old laptop, Jo was on my main computer and I was out in the garden ( far end ) all having a 4 way chat on MSN Messenger……

PEACE AT LAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 1930, the Jamie was chatting with his girlfriend ,who was helping make a BEBO account , Stephen was sending his sea cadet mate photo’s from the big drill comp he had just won., Jo was downloading some music for her car, I was doing my work revision and e:mailing stuff to a fellow coastguard……

WOW , by bed time for the boy’s ,,, Jo and I are the best Mum& Dad in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD…….

Not added it all up yet ,but all this I think it’s less than £ 90 spent out of my own pocket.

Whats more , when i'm down in Christhurch in June, my new laptop can be wireless connected to the hotels system and I can chat back home for nothing ,unlike the £ 90 mobile phone bill for internet and chatting last time :sad :

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
the boys were on a computer upstairs in their room, one was sat in the living room on my old laptop, Jo was on my main computer and I was out in the garden ( far end ) all having a 4 way chat on MSN Messenger……
The cold winter nights must simply fly by in Deal!! :D
I was thinking the same thing .... in the old days people used to sit around a thing called a table and use analogue voices to communicate .... progress hey? :D

Mal

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I was thinking the same thing .... in the old days people used to sit around a thing called a table and use analogue voices to communicate .... progress hey? :D

Mal
Reminds me of a comment I heard a couple of years ago, "Have you seen the real world, the graphics are amazing!"

Danny

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
yep, my two brats (darling daughters aged 15 and 16) come to my place at the weekends, out come both laptops and they are off, both of them on messenger to various boyfriends (ex, current and prospective) and Grilfriends (similar categories) the youngest also takes charge of the TV, DVD and freeview remotes... Dog and I leave house for long walks... :frown: The joys of technology, I love seeing my kids.

Pete

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Message finally getting through is it Andy :D

Good effort though, proves to all technophobes that if you can do it, there really is hope for everyone else :D
I was testing how far the wireless connection went before being disconnected :D

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Mal
Mal,

I was being shown how to have a 4 person convo :D really cool apparently, if u can keep up with all the names and typing speeds :eek:

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Jag,

so easy aswell ,,,, just setup WINDOWS MAIL like outlook,,,,, perhaps i'm in the wrong job and should be a computer geek , making mega bucks

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
yep, my two brats (darling daughters aged 15 and 16) come to my place at the weekends, out come both laptops and they are off, both of them on messenger to various boyfriends (ex, current and prospective) and Grilfriends (similar categories) the youngest also takes charge of the TV, DVD and freeview remotes... Dog and I leave house for long walks... :frown: The joys of technology, I love seeing my kids.

Pete
SNAP!

I don't have a dog though, I just go to bed early and leave them to it, they don't like it when I make them log off to eat dinner or sit and watch a movie with me, or even worse I take them outside to the real world...

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Hey Jag,

so easy aswell ,,,, just setup WINDOWS MAIL like outlook,,,,, perhaps i'm in the wrong job and should be a computer geek , making mega bucks
Trust me Andy, you want to job swap, I'll swap!

For me now, IT is a means to pay for other stuff. I've completely lost interest in the field, but that's mainly down to working for ***ts, they've knocked the enthusiasm out of me. So, like I said, you wanna swap, drop me a line :D

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trust me Andy, you want to job swap, I'll swap!

For me now, IT is a means to pay for other stuff. I've completely lost interest in the field, but that's mainly down to working for ***ts, they've knocked the enthusiasm out of me. So, like I said, you wanna swap, drop me a line :D
I was joking ,,,, Mate...

Even tho' I have my head in books and doing aroud 16 hours revisiion a day until I start 13 exams in 33 days time and still think that I have the best job in the world :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts