YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are thinking of booking a holiday to Barbados for the end of June/start of July, probably staying in St Lawrence Gap. A quick search of the forum brings up a couple of dive centres, The Dive Shop and Hightide. Has anyone got any experience of these or other centres?

Also any comments on dive sites would be very much appreciated. The other half is only just getting back into diving so we will probably stay shallow although if there are any must visit sites I might be able to leave her on the boat soaking up the sun.

Thanks

·
Just another pikey diver...
1,993 Posts
Only know the former - recommend highly. Carlisle Bay is gorgeous for shallow stuff - so much in a small area. The Stav is 30m but always recommended - most centres do it routinely.

Picasa Web Albums - David P - Barbados Unde... will give you a good flavour - or David P's web site for some video, mainly from Carlisle Bay.

From St Lawrence Gap you're a bit away from the Bridgetown/West Coast operators. There is a local operator but I've not used them. The Bridgetown operators will usually pick up; and it's a short minibus ride. The S Coast reefs, in 15-ish, are quite pretty... good freediving off Rockley Beach from my limited experience. But give me Carlisle Bay (and/or the Stav and the west coast reefs) every time... If you've a significant other then the catamaran cruises - Tiami and others - take in basic snorkelling up the west coast and nearly guarantee turtles too - a great day trip, not el cheapobut always good value.

PM for more background...

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
We are thinking of booking a holiday to Barbados for the end of June/start of July, probably staying in St Lawrence Gap. A quick search of the forum brings up a couple of dive centres, The Dive Shop and Hightide. Has anyone got any experience of these or other centres?

Also any comments on dive sites would be very much appreciated. The other half is only just getting back into diving so we will probably stay shallow although if there are any must visit sites I might be able to leave her on the boat soaking up the sun.

Thanks
Barbados Diving: The Dive Shop Ltd. - SCUBA in Barbados since 1965! Excellent peeps. They are The Dive shop, did my OW there, loads to see off the beach in Carlisle bay, plus the Stavronikita for a wreck. Get down to Oistins for the Fish Fry, and Scarlets for a drinkie.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I dived in Barbados a few years back at Divepro in St Lawrence Gap who were pretty good. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be there any more though. It's all pretty good diving particularly the Stav.

·
Presenter - info on scuba diving dot com
536 Posts
Hello Toasted Rabit.

Last year we went out to Barbados with the Barbados Tourism Authority to report on the diving and other activities out there.

We dived with a number of operators amongst which was Hightide and they are all a great bunch of people who are relaxed and friendly with nice day boats.

If you go to our website, and specifically this section http://www.info-on-scuba-diving.com/barbados.html you will be able to select from a series of videos, one of which includes interviews with one of the Instructors from Hightide - Edwin and also one of their customers and her opinion of the diving to be found - of course there is also video of underwater in the clip too!

I hope you find the clips informative and of help.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Another vote for The Dive Shop Ltd.

Used it for the 10 years we went there and never had a problem. Unfortunately Haroon has recently passed away and now his wife runs the place. I am sure it is just as professionally run but without Haroon at the tiller...

As has been said. Carlisle Bay is full of wrecks, many of which you can see all on the one dive. The Stavronikkita (to give the Stavro it's full name) is a very nice wreck north of Bridgetown. There are many nice reefs and I am sure you won't be dissapointed.....have a pint in The Ship Inn for me.

edit: Just remembered. In the carpark next to The Dive Shop Ltd is Cuz's Shack. He does the best fishcake sandwiches on the island. Pop over and have a special sandwich and a coke....well worth a chat with him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
I did my OW with Rogers Scuba shack in 2003 and have dived with them on five separate occasions since then and highly recommend them. They are situated on Carlisle Bay in 'The Boatyard' complex on the St Lawrence Gap side of Bridgetown.(tel 246 436-3483) They do hotel pickups (approx 8.30am for two tank morning dives) and are usually on time which is rare for Babados.
I aiso recommend the Carlisle bay wrecks and the Stav also Astra reef on the south coast for turtles and seahorses

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. Holiday is now booked for the end of June, I'll fire off a few emails to the centres mentioned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts