YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi,

I've recently returned from a week in Barbados, holiday wasn't really a diving holiday as such, but hey they have water so why not. My girlfriend works as a travel agent so the the flights were only £119 return
, which was a bonus as it can be fairly expensive when you're there.

We did our dives with John of Dive Barbados, also know as Blue Reef, John is orginally from Scotland and a great guy and I would recommend them to anyone.

We only did 5 dives with them but managed to see 5 turtles and 3 seahorses! I had never seen either of these before and was well chuffed to see them both. You will apparently get turtles on most dives in Barbados and a good guide like John knows where to find the seahorses. The coral is generally in good condition, very little currents and good vis 20M+,  I would certainly recommend Barbados for a beginner or photographer.

The downside to the diving is that it does appear very overfished and there is no pelagic action around, John has been diving there 9 years and only seen 1 shark!

All in all a good holiday, lots to do, lots of nice restaurants etc, nice people, and good relaxing if not challenging diving.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

Believe it or not they do shark hunting as a tourist attraction, when approached on the beach I told the guy that I would rather see them alive and he replied with "well we only kill one",emm and then another one with the next bunch of bloodthirsty tourists!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

'Shark Hunting' like it's some sort of test of manhood, what catching a shark on a hook and then clubbing it death, wow how hard

I assume the sharks they are huting must be deep water, open ocean species as there certainly aren't reef sharks or similar around, which is a pity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts