YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive just tried to pay my electricity bill by electronic banking !only to find out

that my pass code doesnt work !!

even my members number doesnt work

so ive phoned barclays support and they say that my acount has been

suspended due to security issues !

does any body know or can shed light on this problem ! as im left scratching my head !!!

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
You should be able to prove who you are and Customer Services can then unsuspend your account?

When unsuspended:
1) Check statements for fraudulent activity.

2) Set up an extra pass number or password with Customer Services and request that this be used on top of their standard security.

3) Sounds a bit far fetched, but I would be very concerned about identity fraud. Goto www.experian.com and download one of their leaflets on this subject. Prevention is far easier than cure!

HTH's
L.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be able to prove who you are and Customer Services can then unsuspend your account?

When unsuspended:
1) Check statements for fraudulent activity.

2) Set up an extra pass number or password with Customer Services and request that this be used on top of their standard security.

3) Sounds a bit far fetched, but I would be very concerned about identity fraud. Goto www.experian.com and download one of their leaflets on this subject. Prevention is far easier than cure!

HTH's
L.
they said to me lou that they couldnt give me any more info and had to speak to a special department in the morning !!! even though i verified my acount details !! they still wouldnt go into it !saying that there had been a security issue with my acount ! ! beats me ?? i will have to go into the bank and talk to alison whos my barclays manager !!

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
they said to me lou that they couldnt give me any more info and had to speak to a special department in the morning !!! even though i verified my acount details !! they still wouldnt go into it !saying that there had been a security issue with my acount ! ! beats me ?? i will have to go into the bank and talk to alison whos my barclays manager !!
Sounds weird that they couldn't put you through to someone more helpful? Did they suggest anything that you could do, ie see Alison (or is that your idea?). If they didn't suggest anything, you have grounds for complaint. Otherwise, arm yourself with proof of ID (your ID and address proof), go to your branch and they should sort it out.

However, I would ask them what exactly happened to put your account into that state in the first place.

Can't help much more, just be careful with personal details.

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Sounds weird that they couldn't put you through to someone more helpful?
Ha ha ha. It's Barclays. They're completely useless and everytime you ring them about anything, you get through to an Indian call centre who then faxes your branch.

I wasted my entire lunch break in a branch changing my address and they're still sending everything to the old one. I've decided that closing the account is easier. And more enjoyable.

Jason

·
Registered
911 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me with Barclays.
I had been paid that day, I went to the cash machine to get money out and i was refused. I popped down to the main branch in Liverpool and asked the cashier what was the problem. She turned the screen round to me and the it had SUSPENDED MAJOR FRAUD plastered accross the screen. She couldn't give me any more information, the personal banker said it was out of her hands. Wait to be contacted they said
A few days later, someone from the fraud department phoned me up, asked me security questions and informed me that some tw&t had been trying to withdraw money from my account in Thailand on 4 occasions. I pay a monthly amount to protect against this, they monitor all activity and if it appears to be abnormal they refuse and suspend the account. I asked what if i didt have this service , their reply was, if you hadn't of flagged it up within a day or so its your problem!
Cash macchines with card readers send the information to another countries for example and within 15mins they can have a replica card and your pin. I was advised not to use the stand alone machines that are in shops and pubs as they are the main sourse of this type of activity, they aren't checked by the banks etc. Also, groups of cash machines, like 3 in a row and one has an out of order sheet of paper on it, this is so all people use one machine and it gathers more card information. This sounds like alot of urban myth, but this was from Barclays.
I had to cancel and change all of my cards etc incase they had gathered other card/account information.
I didn't think it was very common but my only advise to all would be for a couple of quid a month there are alot of benefits.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I've had problems too - payments that I made using electronic banking have on three occasions simply vanished. No money gone from my account - no transaction recorded - despite the website showing that they have been paid on the day - the following day no trace.

I've lost nothing - but it is a pain in the proverbial. I now have to check every payment I make 24 hours later to confirm it went through.

Waste of time :(

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
I've had problems too - payments that I made using electronic banking have on three occasions simply vanished. No money gone from my account - no transaction recorded - despite the website showing that they have been paid on the day - the following day no trace.
Is that with Barclays? Can't say I've had a problem with that side of things and the sending an SMS to your registered mobile when an electronic payment is made is a good idea that other banks would do well to copy.

On the fraud front. In the last 18 months, I've had fraudulent purchases of rail tickets at a machine on one account which must have been a cloned card and fraudulent internet purchases on another. Cardhiolder not present fraud has gone through the roof since chip and pin came in.

Jason

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ive just been into town to get a print out on a mini statement and nothing seems to be a miss!!

although i sent a very good friend a cheque the other day and its bounced ! for the life of me i dont know why ! as there is ample money in the acount to cover the cheque !!

so am stumped ???

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
ok ive just tried to pay my electricity bill by electronic banking !only to find out

that my pass code doesnt work !!

even my members number doesnt work

so ive phoned barclays support and they say that my acount has been

suspended due to security issues !

does any body know or can shed light on this problem ! as im left scratching my head !!!

leigh - did you note the error code it gave you when it rejected your details? if you quote the error code to the call centre (in india) then they will tell you why..

I had similar - it was because i'd used a different PC with different IP address [rant]which is fucking stupid - as the product is *internet* banking you fuckwits - therefore it *will* be used from different PCs[/rant]

- ahem. Sorry.

get the error code and phone them back.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
leigh - did you note the error code it gave you when it rejected your details? if you quote the error code to the call centre (in india) then they will tell you why..

I had similar - it was because i'd used a different PC with different IP address [rant]which is fucking stupid - as the product is *internet* banking you fuckwits - therefore it *will* be used from different PCs[/rant]

- ahem. Sorry.

get the error code and phone them back.

(its a crap service anyway.. the one I support is better.. ;) )
hi ya wilbo yes ive been onto them again !and they have told me my acount has been suspended due to 2 iregular payments that they have flagged as suspicious hence suspending my acount ! until they further investigate my acount irregualrities! as tommorow it will be a call to this number for a department that deals with this kind of stuff!!!!

wel im confused now ! as nothing is kept closer to me than my banking detaisl !!!

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Just been reading more of the thread; for something that most Banks do automatically, with Barclays you need to PAY for FRAUD PROTECTION?

And if account gets suspicious activity, you can't do anything until THEY contact YOU? So no cash machine, no payments, probably no cheques as well for that period of time. Tell me, if you were trying to pay your electricity bill, or any other bill online and for some reason, left it to the very last minute, and couldn't pay it because your account had been suspended, then if/how would Barclays recompense you with the potential hassle/damage caused to the creditor and your credit file? After all, it's the consumer left to sort out the mess.

Not a Barclays customer. I'll stick with Intelligent Finance!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
It's not really that odd. You phone at 8pm or whatever, the fraud department aren't there so wait til the morning. No point the "normal" call centre people doing anything until your account has been properly checked, if your account is compromised you could be a fraudster phoning up to get your account unblocked.

If you phone the right department in the morning i've no doubt they'll send you something to identify any payments not made by you, and you'll probably get a new card and pin etc in the post within a couple of days. Until then (once you've talked to the fraud people) you should be able to get money out in-person from your bank. Sure they'll explain it all to you tomorrow - I found them very very helpful when I had a problem on my account, all sorted within a week.

David

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just been reading more of the thread; for something that most Banks do automatically, with Barclays you need to PAY for FRAUD PROTECTION?

And if account gets suspicious activity, you can't do anything until THEY contact YOU? So no cash machine, no payments, probably no cheques as well for that period of time. Tell me, if you were trying to pay your electricity bill, or any other bill online and for some reason, left it to the very last minute, and couldn't pay it because your account had been suspended, then if/how would Barclays recompense you with the potential hassle/damage caused to the creditor and your credit file? After all, it's the consumer left to sort out the mess.

Not a Barclays customer. I'll stick with Intelligent Finance!
i know uve been witgh if a long time lou and know u trust em as u had your mortgage with em ! online fruad protection is included with my acount as far as i know ! and seems that they have flagged 2 certain amounts thats gone out in the last 2 days ! which firsly is for amounts that i dont recognise and on days when not only do i know ive not paid to anyone but also when ive not been near a bank to take out !! so beats me ???

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Nope, definitely someone misunderstood something somewhere. Barclays, as with all major banks, cover you for any fraud on your account as long as you weren't negligent. You can of course contact them if you suspect anything isn't right with the account, you absolutely don't need to wait for them to contact you. Only caveat on that is that while you can call the number to block your account 24/7, to get it unblocked the fraud people only work daytime hours so might have to wait maybe 12 hours if you happen to try to call at 8pm as appears to be the case here.

David

1 - 20 of 42 Posts