YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I'm not talking about the singer. I am in fact talking about the IANTD instructor based in Orkney. In a year or two, once I have done my BSAC SD course, I would like to do an Advanced Nitrox course. I went to Orkney last year and fell in love with it. I'm going again this Easter with some friends (I'm not diving there yet though) - can't wait! When I do my ad nitrox course, I thought it would be nice to do it in Orkney. Looking on the IANTD website, Barry White (White Diving Services) seems to be the only instructor there that can teach it, apart from Sula diving, but that seems to be more about commercial diving. Has anyone had a course with him? Is he any good, or should I look elsewhere for a good instructor?

I know that it is a long way off, but I'm just doing my homework :) not my actual homework - that would be boring.

·
Like a chubby Batman......apparently
147 Posts
I'm thinking about doing a course with Barry too.

I don't know him personally, but he has been recommended to me by two people who do, and he's been very good at answering my questions so far.

Cheers

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andra - let me know how it goes if you do the course :)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
he,s a nice guy and a good diver .. not been on a course with him .. i think he worked with . john thornton, so prob a good IANTD instructor to..

·
deeply confused
1,402 Posts
Did Adv Rec Trimix with big Barry in 2008. He's a top instructor and a really nice guy, I doubt if you'll hear anyone with a poor opinion of him. He makes the course seem easier than it is and that is the mark of a good instructor.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Isn't he on the boards? Might be worth a PM, or having a look through some old posts to get an idea of what to expect.

I think he was posting as deepbaloo from memory.

Have had a few beers with him and he's a good guy, no idea about his teaching as I've not done any courses with him, but he's certainly done a lot of diving over several years up there, so there will be a lot to be gained from talking to him, even if only about the sites up there.

Digs.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
I have never been taught by Barry, but have seen him teach a fair few courses both OC and CCR. He is patient and thorough, plus you will get some cracking diving if you are doing a course in Scapa as Barry knows the wrecks really well.

He posts on the boards as Deep Baloo, so drop him a PM :)

·
deeply confused
1,402 Posts
Barry White

:DStrange......... to see so much unanimity on a YD topic:D

James, if you do a course with Barry there is a good chance that you'll sign up to his fan club. You'll get good instruction and a totally secure diving environment because the little guy goes the extra yard for you. Oh yes, pay no attention to comments about his height, the guy is actually 5'8" (but obviously he looks bigger underwater)

·
Like a Pie-eating Ninja
680 Posts
I'll be lucky to get my head through my neck seal after it has swollen after all these nice comments ( it's actually quite nice to know I must be doing something right up here :) ).
Back to the original post though, obviously I cannot comment on how good an instructor I am but as people have said James do drop me a line either by PM or on [email protected] or give me a bell on 07990800525 and I will be happy to answer any questions or to give my advice (preferably diving related, but any other fun subjects considered :) ).
Cheers Barry
P.s I am actually only 5' 2" but just look 6' 6" when dressed in a black drysuit (only about 15 hrs of the day then :) )

·
Team HPDW Cake Queen.
3,550 Posts
I hear he is a good bloke but that white drysuit he wears with all the glitter is frankly embarassing.

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
He's a good instructor but he can't hold his drink for toffee. I went out for a couple of quiet beers with him in Shetland last year and ended up carrying his sorry ass back to the boat.

Hold on a minute, I might have that the wrong way round....

·
one great big o'three fat bubble
209 Posts
can anyone spot the exact moment when the piss taking started?

As soon as deep baloo popped his head over the parapet.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
He's a good instructor but he can't hold his drink for toffee. I went out for a couple of quiet beers with him in Shetland last year and ended up carrying his sorry ass back to the boat.

Hold on a minute, I might have that the wrong way round....
nah, definitely a lightweight when it comes to beer......

1 - 20 of 40 Posts