YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Ok Who do I complete this course with and is it the TDI or PADI.. I am PADI AOW with just over 100 dives under my belt most completed in the UK.  
I have got the dive centres down to three, Emperor Divers, Ocean collage, and Camel divers.

Camel seems the cheapest but whom would you guys recommend?  I will be flying out on the 7th of August for two weeks. And looking to start on the 9th, the  PADI course seems to last 2 days and the TDI 1, this tends to swing me towards the TDI, also Emperor have offered free NTROX for a 5 day package..  What do you think???

Sean

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Sean,
I'd go TDI. Basic Nitrox is straightforward and how anyone can stretch the course to 2 days is taking something  

Have you considered the adv Nitrox? Much more use and I wish I had done it as a first off rather than the basic.

I have used Emperor in Sharm and found them to be very good, professinal and (for that part of the world) well organised), certainly better than other Red Sea companies I've used.

Enjoy

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Sean,

I've used Emperor twice and found them to have their shit very much together. I also agree that you should opt for the TDI Advanced Nitrox course (2 days, 4 dives, 4 gas mixes - usually 40%, 38%, 36% and 32%) as this will give you your initial exposure to operating mixes and depths. The Exam is more comprehensive and explains very clearly the correct procedures and aspects of using Nitrox for your future diving. Given all the benefits of divng with Nitrox, I've only ever dived three times on 21% (standard compressed air) since passing my Adv ticket.

Like you, I began my diving life with PADI and then switched to TDI - and more important than the course is the instructor, so bare that in mind as you make your choices.

Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Imported post

Sean

Agree with Richie.  Only made the mistake of not going with Emporer Divers once - a mistake I will not make again!

Free nitrox fills for the dive package!  Not a bad incentive.

Enjoy.

Kev

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Not wanting to contradict anything anyone else has said, I went with Ocean College 2 years ago and they were really good. Boats were top notch and the hotel excellent.

I would agree with everyone else on going straight to advanced Nitrox. I looked around and decided basic was just that.... basic!

August will be bloody hot, take plenty of re-hydration salts with you, you'll need them!

Paul

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I thought that you could combine TDI basic & advanced nitrox, but no go straight to advanced.

Everywhere I have seen has had "Nitrox Diver" as a prerequisite for the Advanced Nitrox course.  is that not so?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lou,

TDI offer two Nitrox courses. If memory serves, the basic-level exam/course is just course work with no diving (unless you do it with Hayhurst and he will give you two dives on the Basic course); the Adv course combines all the theory you'd learn in the basic, 4 dives using four different mixes, and the detail and depth of the theory is over and above what you'd  cover on the basic. The Adv TDI course also cert's you to use 100% for deco.

HTH.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Hi all

I did TDI basic Nitrox which was a book and an exam thats it. I then did TDI Advanced nitrox and did a lot more interesting stuff and a few training dives. To my anoyance I then found you could go streight to advanced nitrox if I had wished.

So my advice go streight for TDI Advanced Nitrox.

DO NOT do the silly PADI course that costs more and only qualifies you to 40% or somthing silly.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

I think you'll find they've put the kybosh on going straight to the Advanced.  I did the basic TDI nitrox with Emperor in January - this was all bookwork.  I believe there was a similar course which included dived and of course the Advanced.  I contacted them a month or so ago and they said you couldn't go straight to the Advanced.

E-mail them - Emperor Divers Central Reservations <[email protected]>

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

My opinions are partly the same as others above, partly different. Here they are, for what they're worth:
1. Camel Divers are very good.
2. So are Emperor Divers (at least in Hurghada).
3. Free nitrox for the package is worth quite a lot of money (around 8 dollars per dive).
4. I did the CMAS Basic Nitrox course. It was 5 lessons, each lasting 2 hours, plus 2 dives. It qualifies me to use nitrox up to 40%. I wouldn't want to dive on nitrox with less training than that.
5. Except on trips abroad, I always use nitrox (usually EAN 36) for the second dive. It's simply a nicer gas than compressed air. The reason I don't use it on trips abroad is that it is a lot more expensive in most places than I'm used to paying here in Sweden (just under £4 per fill).

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Mdemon, that's what i meant...

Bren, i know there are two course but you can't (as far as I have found out) do the Advanced without having done the Basic first.  You could do them both together (and pay for both) but Basic Nitrox is a prerequisite for Advanced Nitrox in TDI......

Unless, of course, someone has found an outfit that will do it.  The TDI website seems to stipulate oherwise.  Maybe they have wised up to the "continuous training" ethos as a way of raking it in?

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Continual training ethos

No I think they wised up to the cash ethos

The TDI advanced Nitrox manual covers all of the same ground as the basic nitrox manual. CNS P/tox EAD's etc. It just includes, dive planning, Gas planning, sending up SMB, Kit config,holding stops for deco, SAC rates and a few other usefull bits of info.

Well worth the extra if they charge you. Some do some dony My chap wont charge extra but he is bassed in Bucks not Egypt.

Mark Chase

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Ditto, well Herts but near enough, maybe Lou/Caroline as well and I'm sure Adam would be interested (as I'm paying!) so we could get a group booking to make it worthwhile?

Matt

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Sounds grand to me.

We are planning on doing it, hence the enquiries, but all the places I've found have required the basic first.  Hence looking at £300 ish to get the Advanced qual.....eek!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Why, exactly, do you want the advanced qualification, Lou?

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Yeah Yeah I said I wouldnet need tha advanced one just yet but six months after getting into Nitrox there I was looking for some deco gas :0

Any old how:

Instructor

Paul R Marks  Aquanaut Diving  www.aquanaut.org.uk

Mobile 07860 239332

Tell him I sent you he might give me a discount of my next course (CCR)

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Good question, John.

The honest answer is "future-proofing".  It covers all I need to know for recreational use (the basic course) and also stuff that may be useful in the future.  Plus it is a formal introduction to some more advanced techniques and skills under the (hopefully) watchful eye of an instructor.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea but after reading the course details on the TDI website it did seem as though when you did the Advanced you re-covered everything you did in the Basic, and hence if there was the smallest chance of ever wanting to do more (or get 100% O2 fills even for emergency use?) then it seemed daft to pay twice.

Hence I wasn't up for a combined course that had you paying for Basic and Advanced - in that case i would just do the Advacned if and when i ever needed it.  if you could get more course for your cash by going straight to Advanced it was worth it!

i guess it boils down to being tight!!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ July 09 2003,15:23)]Good question, John.

The honest answer is "future-proofing".  It covers all I need to know for recreational use (the basic course) and also stuff that may be useful in the future.  Plus it is a formal introduction to some more advanced techniques and skills under the (hopefully) watchful eye of an instructor.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea but after reading the course details on the TDI website it did seem as though when you did the Advanced you re-covered everything you did in the Basic, and hence if there was the smallest chance of ever wanting to do more (or get 100% O2 fills even for emergency use?) then it seemed daft to pay twice.

Hence I wasn't up for a combined course that had you paying for Basic and Advanced - in that case i would just do the Advacned if and when i ever needed it.  if you could get more course for your cash by going straight to Advanced it was worth it!

i guess it boils down to being tight!!!
In that case, I would tend to disagree with Mark on this one. What's wrong with a course that "only qualifies you to 40% or something silly" if that's all you want to do? I wouldn't pay £300 for a "just-in-case" course. What does PADI's Basic Nitrox Course cost? I wouldn't write it off before checking it out. Thousands of divers have done the course (hundreds in Sweden alone) and are happily and safely diving with nitrox. I presume you could do TDI's Advanced Nitrox course later if you decided to go that way?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts