YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would kick off a thread to track the appearance and movements of the basking sharks this year. I know lots of folk are interested in when and where they appear, so if you see them, or hear of then, just add a post here!

Starter for ten...

Single basker spotted by Porthleven fishermen off Loe Bar yesterday morning.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Great idea, Lou.

The Shark Trust has the Basking Shark Project, and would like to know of any sightings, with pics if poss! Basking sharks can be identified by their unique markings.

Details can be found here.

·
For the dives where one helicopter isn't enough
1,682 Posts
Excellent idea Lou.

Not sure if this will work, but this should be an updateable google map - just make sure you click save if you add a point.
Google Map

Simon

Reactions: Snash

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
One was spotted by the manacles, may have ben the same one, but it is the other side or the Lizard. There is a lot of plankton appearing already, probably due too the sea temperatures being higher than normal.

I had 13 degrees on the surface yesterday, still 10 at 60m though.

·
1,682 Posts

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
read the comment somebody added on the article. :) PMSL

·
1,682 Posts

·
1,682 Posts
looks like the comment has been deleted - basically it said 'good thing it wasn't hungry'

Simon

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At long last :D

One small (juvenile?) basking shark - approx 2m long.

Manacles. 14:00hrs on Sunday 29th July.

Spotted by Celtic Cat. Andy on the Porthkerris rib took his bunch over to see it, and C and I paddled over when Haggis from the Dive Action Rib, who we were chatting to, let us know that Mike had seen it. Big hugs to Haggis!

When the motor boats left C & I had another few minutes follwing it on the tide int he kayaks, with mackerel jumping around us, before it disappeared under and we were unable to spot it again.

I was was ecastatic, but controlled my urge and kept a distance and a parallel track. It was really lovely. Mirror sea, me, her and a shark. Perfect :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Basking Shark Sighting

We went out in our own boat to do a bit of fishing from Porthkerris this evening and we spotted the small shark mentioned by Lou, but we also saw one about 2 1/2 m long just west of the Manacles in Godrevy Bay. We got a good look as it came head on with its mouth open. They have been so sporadic this year, it is very difficult to tell if this is them back again, or just the odd 1 or 2 again. Keeping our fingers crossed for calm weather and more shark sightings during the week (maybe summer will be here this week!!!!, or if not the week after, or the week after that or that!!!!!!!!):teeth:

·
Registered
759 Posts
No the message hasn't been deleted.
You can only see 3 comments at a time, if you click "see all comments" you can see it

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We went out in our own boat to do a bit of fishing from Porthkerris this evening and we spotted the small shark mentioned by Lou, but we also saw one about 2 1/2 m long just west of the Manacles in Godrevy Bay. We got a good look as it came head on with its mouth open. They have been so sporadic this year, it is very difficult to tell if this is them back again, or just the odd 1 or 2 again. Keeping our fingers crossed for calm weather and more shark sightings during the week (maybe summer will be here this week!!!!, or if not the week after, or the week after that or that!!!!!!!!):teeth:
Lucky sod :D

I think we shall have to pop down in the evenings if it stays calm this week - just in case.

G

·
We're off to Porthkerris this weekend, diving on Cornish Pussy, so hopefully, fingers and everything else crossed we get to see one or maybe two :teeth:

I shall be praying to whatever God controls the sightings of these delightful creatures :)

Corinne

1 - 20 of 26 Posts