YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, when do basking sharks appear in our waters? never bloody seen one although been out when other boats have, hope to see em this year, so any tips would be appreciated.
i'm on the south devon coast, :)
cheers

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
26/4/10 i made a post Basking sharks spoted of lands end in several numbers.
But next year it could be the 27th instead cos it will be a leap year soon ;)

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
They appear about now, the plankton is starting to bloom, a bit later than normal, this brings them in.

However, 10 years I have lived in spitting distance of Torquay harbour and have not yet seem one....

See dolphins a lot though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep i've seen loads of dolphins, was thinking of baskers as the blooms here, nearly saw some from cliffs of north coast of cornwall last year, but was just out of eyeshot.
will keep eyes and ears open :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
My sister lives near Lands End - can ask her to listen out for when they are spotted. I think she has mentioned Makos being seen further out. No word of the 'white shark' sightings this year - I swear that is made up by the Cornish Tourism Industry ;)

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Well grub's up so they should be on their way. It's strange to have the bloom while the sea is still quite cold but they always turn up in May or early June.

One of my best dives was off Plymouth with two brass steam gauges in the goody bag and four basking sharks circling me whilst I was decompressing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts