YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Im just back from a club dive over a long week end in cornwall and for once the weather was brill flat calm sea hot sunshine and a sherry or three. We dived out of lorna bay on a rib with undersea adventures who are based in penzance and they were spot on full marks to them.
On saturday dived on Primrose Low Lee ledge the site of a local wreck and three galleons my first ever intact cannons the afternoon dive whilst travelling in the rib we came across a pod of basking sharks so it was fins and mask time into the water and swim with them what an experiance they were like icebergs all you could see on the surface was a couple of fins but under the water they were huge we had a great time and still had a dive at the end of it!
Sunday we had two more great dives but no sharks.
nigel

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

You lucky sod! I've seen whalesharks in 4 different countries but never a basking shark.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Echo that John, Nigel they really are very high on my hit-list of things I'd like to see. I'm down in Cornwall in August and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, except I do realise thats a bit late in the year for them, still here's hoping.

Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Matt, sightings are evidently quite comon in August in Ireland (Waterworld, Tralee Bay). I don't know if that applies in Cornwall as well but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Is there any way we can see your photos, Nigel?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Im having them put on cd I,ll email them to you.

nigel

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

Hi Nigel,

Sounds fantastic - can you email me some pics too and I will show them to Gerry?  Am sure he'd love to see them!

Les

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Sure will they will be ready on friday.Suzanne has seen them and shes never going in the water again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nigel

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

Excellent.  Did you see Gerry's turtle pictures from Dahab?  Not quite as exciting as basking sharks but still pretty good for a first time photographer!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Would that be on the cheap camera sorry the o so very cheap dont collect the money from the account camera or just the same price as this cheap dive computer but i cannt get any more at this price.
Did he ever buy the dive computer for you?
nigel

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

OK, the camera is in fact very expensive, it's just a complicated story!  

And yes, I made him buy me a computer at the Dive show last year at the NEC - I got exactly the same one as his (Vyper), but for £100 less!!!  Not sure who was more pleased actually...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

When you have time send me a E mail about the camera the photo were good nice turtles.

nigel

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ June 19 2003,09:46)]Echo that John, Nigel they really are very high on my hit-list of things I'd like to see. I'm down in Cornwall in August and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, except I do realise thats a bit late in the year for them, still here's hoping.

Matt
<font color='#000080'>Where have you bin (pun intended) Matt,

Don't tell me they had you doing some work  

Anyway on a serious note...  I hope you get to see one of our gummed friends.  Just don't come back and tell me about it  

Daz

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nigel @ June 19 2003,12:03)]Im having them put on cd I,ll email them to you.

nigel
Great! I look forward to seeing them.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Incidentally, I have some photos taken on my recent liveaboard trip to the Egyptian "Deep South". All the underwater pics were taken with Sea and Sea's "point-and-shoot" camera (MX-5, price in the UK about 150 pounds). I got the special close-up lens before the trip and found it more or less eliminated back-scatter, which was a major problem before. Some of the shots taken without the close-up lens had quite a lot of back-scatter but I cleaned them up with Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE (=Limited Edition), which came with my scanner, and am quite pleased with the result. I don't think David Doubilet need fear the competition but I do think my photos are quite good enough to serve as a nice memory of the trip and to e-mail to others. If anybody would like to see them, just send me an e-mail and I will e-mail them in batches of 6 (less than 1 mb), so as not to block your e-mail account (there are 24 photos altogether, best viewed with the "slide show" function if you have it in your computer).

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ June 19 2003,09:46)]I'm down in Cornwall in August and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, except I do realise thats a bit late in the year for them, still here's hoping.

Matt
<font color='#736AFF'>Matt
Would that be the last two weeks in August by any chance? are you diving? I m down there for family hols and wouldnt mind squeezing in a dive or two if you fancy it..
jules

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

There's a bunch of us (Out of Cinque Diving Club) doing a long weekend out of Porthkerris from the 29th Aug - you're welcome to come along and say hello & we'll see about squeezing you in if you fancy a splosh.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Julia
Sat Aug 9th for just one week, unfortunately. Might manage to squeeze in an extra couple of days though into the following week.
Daz,
Up to my earoles in work and I have moved office, so everyone can see what I'm doing now, bugger!

See, I'm not a layabout, just took advantage of the situation as it presented itself.
Cant say I like this work idea too much, gets in the way of diving, however I have joined the permanent staff so more days off without loosing pay. I like that idea, but it only kicks in later in the year, holiday entitlement thing. Plus of course 'sick' days for those essential visits to the pot if the worst happens.

Matt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts