YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having trouble with BBC channels this morning?

My signal strength is 95% but none of the BBC channels are working. Just wanted to know if it was just me

I live in Aberdeen.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Have you tried re-tuning your channels?

I don't know about Aberdeen but here in Glasgow the digital switch over has been going on for the last few days and you need to re-tune to get some channels back.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Maybe Alex Salmond is initiating his quest for independence on his home patch and blocking the English propaganda?!

Kidding honest ....maybe a transmitter is down?

·
Diving Dad
506 Posts
How do you get your TV? Satellite or Freeview?

I know BBC were making some changes to their Satellite transmissions last night...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Anyone else having trouble with BBC channels this morning?

My signal strength is 95% but none of the BBC channels are working. Just wanted to know if it was just me

I live in Aberdeen.
If you do a google search for freeview and bbc you should find reference to multiplexed channels. Freeview multiplexes (piggy backs together) about 4 or 5 digital channels on one carrier. [its not really digital transmission]

i.e if there is a problem with the original signal at the transmitter it takes down 4 to 5 channels at once. It is fairly easy to tell wit the bbc.

Another thing I have had is the freeview box changed the transmitter it was looking at for 1 group of channels and the quality was bad. Had to change it back manually.

Gary

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
If you do a google search for freeview and bbc you should find reference to multiplexed channels. Freeview multiplexes (piggy backs together) about 4 or 5 digital channels on one carrier. [its not really digital transmission]
In what way is it not really digital?

·
Diving Dad
506 Posts
In what way is it not really digital?
Because all RF transmissions (i.e. what comes in over your satellite dish or aerial) are analogue.

With old-style analogue TV, it all stayed in the analogue domain - one channel was carried on one frequency.

With digital TV, the analogue signal that's received on a particular frequency is demodulated (i.e. decoded) into a digital bitstream. Within the digital bitstream (which is called an MPEG Transport Stream) is multiplexed (i.e. mixed together) multiple channels. Combined with MPEG audio and video compression, this allow many more channels to be transmitted in the same range of frequencies.

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
Because all RF transmissions (i.e. what comes in over your satellite dish or aerial) are analogue.
Blimey, that's hair splitting! What's modulating the carrier is digital, whereas in the "old" system what's modulating the carrier is analogue.

I'd call it digital, and I'm a pedant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts