YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Need some help on buying a BC for my wife (with her money of course).

She needs an XS in most makes as she is fairly tiny (5ft), and this obviously limits the lift avalable.  She is using about 10kg of lead plus ankle weights with a compressed neoprene drysuit.

I read somewhere that you need the same amount of lift in your BC as you have lead in your belt.

However, a local shop says that any BC will do the job in the event of a flooded suit.

Who's right here, and wings aside, can anyone recommend an appropriate BC for titchy folk.

Thanks in advance.
Graeme

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Well, when u think about it:

In the pool with no weight belt, you are neutral.

In the sea with a drysuit, you need (in this case) 10kg lead

Therefore the suit has made you 10kg more bouyant.

Therefore if the suit floods completely, you will be 10kg negative, and your BCD will only get you back to the surface if it can supply at least 10kg of lift.

I have to say, I don't think I've ever come across a BCD that didn't give over 10kg.

My recommendation:

Get the best fitting BCD possible. If the amount of lift it supplies isn't enough, then buy a pouch weightbelt. This is the type where the lead sits in pockets, and therefore allows for dumping of small amounts of lead instead of risking a Polaris attempt.

Also, if she carries at least one SMB and reel, she has another source of 10kg of buoyancy - deploy SMB and ascend by swimming, locking the reel and hanging when you need the rest.

That said, the Buddy Tekwing is something you should seriously consider if you want lots of lift but good fit.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In the pool with no weight belt, you are neutral.
<span =''>

Not sure if I am, in the Red sea I couldn't submerge at all when I'd emptied my lungs! Q: am I just a fat b****** or is it the salinity of the Red Sea?
Chee-az
Steve

(Edited by Steve W at 6:11 pm on Jan. 21, 2003)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Graeme,

I can recommend (though not through, ahem, personal use) the Sea Quest Diva LX - a lady's BC with 'special rubber bits around the front to cup and harness the lady's attributes'.

My wife's had one for over two years and it has seen action all over the world and in UK waters, and she wears by it. Comfy as sin (so I'm told ;) ), rugidly built and loads of lift. Get one to fit and you'll be laughing....or rather your wife will

Good luck and dive safe,

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Well done Bren,
I was racking my brains trying to think what it was called, Lucy who I work with and is very petite swears by hers.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Fi's got one too - she had her eye on my wing tho'

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Who are you trying to kid Bren !!  

Actually my wife also uses a Seaquest Diva LX and swears by it - as oppose to her last jacket which she swore at it ;)

Never tried it myself though (honest)....

Daz

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Thanks all.   She looked at the Seaquest locally but it was too expensive for her budget.

So......last night she ordered a Cressi Sub S111 from Dive Inn for £250 all in.

Hope its a good un, or no doubt I will get a cuffing.

Cheers

Graeme

1 - 8 of 8 Posts