YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Well, I've got my new Diva, and it's a FAB BCD. Obviously, having spent the money I'd like to look after my new kit the best way possible.

Background. I live in a modern (which means small) 2 up, 2 down house. :embarassed: So there's not much room. I store my dry suit in my wardrobe, but the rest gets relegated to the loft, all boxed away in gear gulpers and bags.

Having dived at Wraysbury on Wednesday I hung the kit up. All nice and dry, suit cuffs and neck dusted to stop aging etc. :angel: I went to pack up what I thought was a dry BC. I heard rather a lot of slopping about. So I pulled the dumps and lots of water came out. I then unscrewed all the dumps and tipped out as much of the water as possible. I squeezed all the buttons etc. Then I blew the BC up and have left it expanded hanging up to dry.

Is this enough to keep it from going rotten etc? Or do I need to do more?

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
When you have swilled your BCD, blow a bit of air in, hold it upside down and press the inflater valve release and all the water will come out.

Store it with a little bit of air in.

Once in a blue moon, I swill the salt out of the inside by holding the hosepipe on trickle in the inflater hose, hold the inflator open and then swill fresh water about and tip it out again as above.

I abuse mine something rotten and it's still going strong. Main bits to swill salt out of are the dumps and connecty-bits.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
I half fill mine with water from the bottom drain valve, holding it upside down to ensure the fresh water goes right through to every chamber, screw the drain back on, swill it around. They get heavy when full (ie a 20Kg lift BCD will weigh upto 20Kg).

THen, I inflate it as hard as possible, then turn it upside down and press the deflate button on the hose; water will come jetting out under pressure and ensure the hose and associated parts get a good swill.

I only really do this in summer though. :embarassed:

It's too cold and miserable by half to be stood outside in the dark and cold after I get back from a days diving, when I'm cream crackered and just want my tea in front of the log fire.

It won't rot inside and as long as you keep it plugged up, there'll be no evaporation and no salt crystal formation. Just store it inflated to help stop it sticking together, also helps the outside dry out quicker.

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
part of my packing kit away after dive is to plug wing inflate back on bottle or anyones who happens to have a low pressure inflate hose still connected :)

then fill wing with gas and then hold the dump valve in the lowest position and just open it water then gas comes out. I do this few times and it would take all of 20 seconds.

I store wing with a little air in.

David

Reactions: hogen-deifar

·
Dark Side Member
131 Posts
Is this enough to keep it from going rotten etc? Or do I need to do more?
A person that I used to know, who serviced regs, suggested using Milton solution (used for cleaning and steralising baby bottles etc) to kill off any bugs or bacteria in the bladder and inflator hose. Afterall, there maybe the time when you need to inhale the air in your bcd only to discover that it tastes rank....

TB

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Afterall, there maybe the time when you need to inhale the air in your bcd only to discover that it tastes rank....

I think if it comes to breathing the air from your BC then a bit of a nasty taste is probably the least of your worries.

Cleaning my BCD was always done exactly how the others have suggested... Other alternative is to make sure you're diving enough so it doesn't get a chance to dry :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think if it comes to breathing the air from your BC then a bit of a nasty taste is probably the least of your worries.
I think it's more to do with the things that grow in the BC would appreciate a nice new home in your lungs too. It's not just to do with breathing from the air in there (and I agree, fungal infections of the lung would be a last consideration if it came to that), but the standard cleaning routine where people may be manually inflating to swill out. It's possible to get a bit of air back while inflating with various bacteria included, so hence the occasional Milton treatment I guess.

The instructions with my new Buddy tell me to rinse off and then unscrew the emergency cylinder adaptor, fill with a little water, inflate, swill around and then empty before storing partially inflated. Pretty much as others have detailed above :)

You should have had a manual/booklet/leaflet with it HD that tells you how to rinse/store it?

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I think it's more to do with the things that grow in the BC would appreciate a nice new home in your lungs too. It's not just to do with breathing from the air in there (and I agree, fungal infections of the lung would be a last consideration if it came to that), but the standard cleaning routine where people may be manually inflating to swill out. It's possible to get a bit of air back while inflating with various bacteria included, so hence the occasional Milton treatment I guess.

The instructions with my new Buddy tell me to rinse off and then unscrew the emergency cylinder adaptor, fill with a little water, inflate, swill around and then empty before storing partially inflated. Pretty much as others have detailed above :)

You should have had a manual/booklet/leaflet with it HD that tells you how to rinse/store it?
Hang on a minute... Dave... what on earth are you doing? Are you a man? real men don't read instructions until...
a) it goes wrong
b)it doesn't do what you thought it was supposed to
or
c) you break it.

Julie
You are a girl. Girls read instructions.

Are you two having a bit of role reversal?
:D :D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hang on a minute... Dave... what on earth are you doing? Are you a man? real men don't read instructions until...
a) it goes wrong
b)it doesn't do what you thought it was supposed to
or
c) you break it.

Julie
You are a girl. Girls read instructions.

Hahaha...green incoming for that...even though I'm insulted :redface:

I read instructions for important stuff...like looking after my gear. When it comes to videos and other non-essential equipment I take the standard 'WTF, this piece of far-east sh*te isn't doing what it's supposed to' approach until my wife steps in waving the instruction book with the usual 'did I really marry that' look on her face...

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Other alternative is to make sure you're diving enough so it doesn't get a chance to dry :D
I wish!!!!!

Ok smart arse!

Julie. You are a girl. Girls read instructions.

Grrrrrr :angry: LOL

........ until my wife steps in waving the instruction book with the usual 'did I really marry that' look on her face...
We wonder that ALL the time!!! Hahahaha!!! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.