YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hello all,

Diver death over the weekend of Feb 21/22.

In the lakes of the ardennes Lux/belgium.

According to the police the cold was the primary factor at 1-2centigrade....no equipment failure identified.

The buddy lost sight of the victim, initiated the usual but surfaced without having located his buddy (a 35 year old pilot, commercial) and alerted rescue services.

The dive had been conducted to 20m as per dive plan but contact had been lost at that point. The diver was found at that depth, without regulator but with air in cylinders.

Sympathies to the family...

The lake at this time of year is an excellent place to dive...it's pitch, pitch balck after 15m and with freezing temps, the ice on the surface is testament to that.

The points are:

1. NEVER lose sight of your buddy, or at least his light;

2. IF you think you're getting cold, YOU are getting cold...turn the dive before you think you're getting cold..that way you'll be on your way back when you start to think you're getting cold...if you know what I mean.

Cold water/ice dicing is nice and great fun as the viz can be good (no bloom that you get in spring time) but the downsides are the above.

Regards to all.

Graham

·
Registered
142 Posts
Imported post

Sympathies to family and friends. God bless.

We have loads of dive sites round where we live and all are stunning this time of year. I'm afraid I lost heart for it though until I can afford a dry suit! It's simply no fun when the water is that cold and no dive is worth losing your life.

Just to add that the waters my buddy and I dive (Vinkeveen, Maarseveen, Spiegelpolder, Zeeland) are all pitch dark at that depth and often badly silted. We always use a buddy line for safety under those conditions and this is a practice which is by far the "norm" in our club too. You might think you look a little "girly" but the line is excellent for communication too.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Dui,

I read your post with interest, for a couple of reasons:

1. We dive in the same dradful conditions and often lose sight of each other. We have adopted a routine when this happens and we find each other pretty much straight away BUT we have discussed buddy lines. I've never used one but what do you use and how (length, type of line, just held so can be dropped? etc etc).

2. It sounds like you're from Holland?...I had been looking at Dutch websites to find a place to dive in the north sea off the dutch coast, as I live in Luxembourg Holland is reasonably close for me. Could you tell me a bit more about your diving and would you have any objections to me coming along to one of your weekend north sea dives? I need to get back into the sea...but lakes are OK...just somewhere new would be good.

Cheers for now.

Best regards.

Graham

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

another tragedy...probably another preventable tragedy.....condolences to the family and diving group.
Diving under ice is great but hte temperatures and conditions need to be treated with respect. I've dived under the ice and we were roped up....is the lake covered in ice does anyone know?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Hammerhead,

No the lake was not iced last weekend. We were just down the road over the border in Lux....it was just a cold Sunday dive as they all are at the moment...nothing unusual.

I've not heard anymore about any possible equipment failure.

If you're interested, have a look at this..

http://www.scuba.lu/divesites/haute_sure_map1.htm

The lake was drained in 1991 to repair the dam, this site shows the more interesting dive sites of the lake in open air...you can see it's pretty crap but when there's no alternative...needs must. It's a great place for getting used to bad diving conditions, training etc

Cheers.

Graham

1 - 5 of 5 Posts