YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I'm wanting to get into diving in the UK and would like some advice on getting my own kit.

I've seen an advertisement for a store near me that sells 2nd Hand gear at the end of each season from the dive school. They do a complete package Dry suit, undersuit, BCD, Regs + Gauges and a Cylinder. The complete kit is around £650 which seems like a pretty good price. I'd be interested to know if anyone has bought a package like this or if you pick and choose the gear you want.

Problem is I want to get diving and don't want to pay a fortune up front. I thought I could buy better gear in stages as I get into it.

Final point is that the store makes the ROHO drysuits so if anyone has any comments about these this would also be much appreciated. It's the ROHO Commercial that comes in the deal.

Thanks,

Rich.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Best advice I can give is to start diving with a Bsac club, they will lend you kit an dyou can then choose what you want at leisure and by asking club mates. If you rush into buying kit before you start diving you will probably end up replacing it all as you realise that your desires/needs have changed.

Matt

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

I've booked a Dry Suit course to get familar with drysuit diving and to see if I actually like diving in the UK's cold/poor viz waters.

After this I plan to join a BSAC club and I'm hoping with PADI OW and the Dry Suit Speciality that I can start training towards the Sport Diver cert. rather than having to start again with Ocean Diver.

The club sites I'd looked at so far (around Leeds) seemed to only lend kit out for pool sessions. Any club members from the Leeds area feel free to comment

I take your point though on rushing into buying kit, thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Excellent suggestions from Matt, the club environment with it's kit hire facilities is ideal for those on a tight budget - I started diving as a student with the Uni Branch so I can empathise.

Personally, I wouldn't splash your precious cash on an expensive DS course if there's a reasonable chance you'll Xover to BSAC later on, why not see if you can find a branch that will help you out with a DS Try-dive See here to find a list of braches near you

As PADI OW you'll be considered OD equivalent and can get a SALT sticker for your QRB, consequently you don't have to do the OD work but expect to  be given "crossover" work ie familiarisation with BSAC '88 tables, BSAC Branch & HQ structure, grades etc etc.

If you find a club who expects you to start from scratch, look for a different club as they would not be following BSAC guidelines re SALT procedures.
HTH
Steve
SALT info

·
Registered
314 Posts
I took the ex school/second hand route with most of my gear at first. I had no cash and just wanted to get regular diving. Now after 2 years i'm starting to replace it all with what i really want. In hindsight i wish i'd waited and got the right kit the first time.
bset advice is ask, look around find out what you want. If you can get it second hand, great, if not might be worth saving a month or 2 till you can afford it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
£650 for a full set of kit is a bargain. Just make sure it includes everything you need. You might get a better response here if you knew exact details of the kits contents. e.g. what regs are included?

Also, look on Diver Warehouse and Robin Hoods websites. I think both companies do good deals for a full set of kit.

·
3,293 Posts
Hi

A good starter pack;

The Fundamentals of Better Diving by Jarrod Jablonski. Approx £10

Better to spend the money knowing exactly what you want to buy rather than what the salesman wants to sell you today :)

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts