YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi Guys,

I'll submit to a degree of mince 'cause I'm from 't'other side of the the Hills', but surely you chaps (i.e. Yorks) must have some of the best Pond/Lake/Cave/Shore/Hole/Beach/Wreck diving known to Christendom in and around your manor!! I'm sure you do and you're just keeping quiet about them.

I can't argue with the fact that the recent St. Abbs weekend was a damned good dive (I must know, I've never dived there!!), but surely you (and our collective members) must have a shed load of sites worth a mention here. You can't ignore that you've got mine - and other Forum's users - juices flowing after the photies and reports of the Abbs gig?? They want to join and get a piece of 'what-you-got'.

The site and its membership are growing; I think we should agree that (please all, don't stop them coming because they're damned fine, entertaining and informative!) we need to expand the brief beyond "Hey So-and-so, didn't we have a good dive the other day?" ;) we have a duty to make this site a worthy and destinctive alternative to others?!

If we don't, and agree that we're happy with our own company, knowledge, experience and inter-mate banter (and I'm not saying that is the case), then we run the risk of becoming parochial, 'quaint' and just for the use of a certain clique; and that would never do, given this forum's stated aims.

What I would point out is that you have all the neceassry moderators in place and the required 'warning statements' for new members - let's embrace them (I'm not saying we're not) and grow YD to the size, useage and membership that it desrerves.

What d'ya say??

See ya on the U-boat.

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 2:19 am on June 14, 2002)

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 2:21 am on June 14, 2002)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Strangely enough I thought we had some of the longest descriptions of dives and events than any board I've so far been on. Infact I deleted one of my owns posts only last week about the St Abbs swim thru dive because I felt conscious after I'd posted it that I'd just waffled on forever and was probably boring the virtual pants off everyone on the site so I nuked it....

(Edited by Dave Williamson at 7:42 am on June 28, 2002)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Yeah Dave, that swim through was quite spooky!!! still, after thinking about it I should have taken my lamp with me!
Eddie.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

hehehehehehehehehe.... yep that was funny... I thought he had found something and was reaching in to get it! wasn't untill we moved a few meters further and found the swim through that I realised he had been trying to swim through the wrong hole!...
Dive safe,
Eddie..

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

See, you're doing it again.

Bren does have a point.  You guys dive around your local area frequently, and between you must have a wealth of knowledge of local dives that other locals, and visitors, could tap into.  However look at this section of the forum, and the UK sites one - they are empty (virtually)!

All it would take is for every so often, each member writes a detailed description of a site with all relevant info (in a Dive XXX book manner.  Soon enough this site could become a valuable resource for planning new dives or trips.

Why not rise to the challenge.  Much as I really enjoy reading reports of dives (and writing them!) there is so much more potential lying untapped!

Cheers

Lou

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Aaaaaah is that what Bren was trying to say... I honestly didn't understand him hence my earlier response... Bren will you talk a bit more common so us fick norveners understand what the ell your on about... fanks!!  ;)

I agree with what your saying Lou although the dives descibed so far aren't local to any of us, they are from Oban and St Abbs both of which are described in a million other web pages... (Note to self: Stop exaggerating!)

I did write up about a couple of evening dives that I did in Redcar (my local) but if I remember rightly I also posted links to a web sites showing the location and description of the wrecks in the area with a whole bucket load of history.

Believe me, if I find any sites that I can direct others too I most certainly will, part of the reason I write dive reports is to give people who Haven't been to a particular site the incentive to go, or at least give them a reason to ask more questions if they are interested.

As far as this thread developing into a few responses from the people who shared a particular dive well theres no way of controlling the next post in a thread and sometimes a thread can veer away from the original posters intent.

Dave.

p.s.
I've just had a little look and the particular thread I refered to earlier  'Please Click Here' describes the local dives I encountered, has links to websites describing more local dives plus a multitute of wrecks to dive plus oodles of other information. The people who showed an interest were answered fully and even invited to stay at my home when or if they turn up for a dip, albiet a lot of this was done privately i.e. off the board, for no particular reason other than I was emailed and asked questions. Please please don't think that this place is closed shop that is most definitely NOT the case, but if members do share a dive then you will see banter about said dive and maybe some see this as feeling kinda left out, I hope not as that is not the intent.

Edit: Just so its easier to find rather than dig thru other posts, here's a link straight to the web page of my local dive shop, showing Redcars wreck (this is by no means complete) plus a link to some nice footage of a local wreck called the Dimitris
http://www.divingdirect.co.uk/redcarrocks.htm

(Edited by Dave Williamson at 12:57 pm on June 26, 2002)

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

To follow up on what Dave has said, unfortunately although Yorkshire and the North East in general has a good coastline, it's unfortunately not really very suited to decent diving. Anywhere from Seahouses / Farnes going south towards the wash tends to suffer considerably with bad viz. With regards shore dives, the depth doesn't drop off considerably unless you go way off shore, and then you're into boat diving territory.

As for Inland diving - I would have thought that most of the large reservoirs and lakes (at least in North Yorks, such as "West End" near Pateley Bridge, and Blubberhouses) would have been good diving. Unfortunately Yorkshire Water, who own them all, doesn't seem to think so - they're quite narrow minded unfortunately. Their stock response is "They're Deep, Dark and Cold and as such we don't want you diving in it". Obviously not divers, then!
I have had in mind that near where I live (between Malton and Filey) there's at least two quarries I know of that are within 10 years of becoming end-of-life. I have been tempted in trying to raise the capital to turn one into a dive-site, which may be a good thing? (There's nothing like it for quite a few miles as far as I know.)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Yeah, that's the kind of thing, Dave.  it is just such a shame that there are 2 dedicated forums on this site for that kind of thing and they are rarely used.  It is over a month since any posts in fave UK sites.

Not that Yorkshire is very local for me, but Hull is only 3 hours away so it is definitely weekendable, and if any decent sites get written up we would be up for making the trip.  

Anyway, isn't Bren Northern too?
 (I was under the impression he was Lancastrian......sorry, Bren if I am completely on the wrong path here!)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Strangely enuff Lou, altho the site is called Y.D. I don't think there are many that ARE actually from Yorkshire, I think we're spread far and wide from Scotland to Holland.

Jay and Andy the originators of this wonderful little spot are from there, u can tell cos Andy talks reet funny.

I agree with your comments and will make an extra effort to fill in the less frequented areas of the site, but so should we all, lets write about our local sites all over Britain and not just Yorkshire, maybe the Yorkshire site section might want to be dropped as theres bugger all there

Best regards
Dave

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

I am really envy you lot! you have some of the best dive sights going! from the Scottish coast line down to Devon and Cornwall, I dread the day I left the UK, here's an idea for Jay to work on, a map of the UK with all the interesting dive sites on it, any one who knows any other sites not mentioned on the map can then add there site through Jay, I am sure that if we all chip in with our favourite dive sites we can then have a valuable data base for all of the Yorkshire Diver members to enjoy and refere to.
Dive safe.
Eddie...

·
Banned
217 Posts
Imported post

Hi all. Whilst I understand and appreciate the sentiment of wanting to see more dive site reports on this board, it needs to be noted for context that many subscribers to this board are not from Yorkshire!

However, I have dived in Yorkshire almost every weekend for the last 6 months and am happy to provide details of a load of sites in Yorkshire and all over the UK.

Some sites that I can post reports on include Hodge Close, Wastwater, Capernwray, Ulswater, Joint Hole, Hurtle Pot - all of which are in the Yorkshire region. I can also post some reports on Dorothea, Vivian Quarry, Scottish dive sites and others if anyone's interested? Oh, while I remember, this month's 990 magazine has an absolutely outstanding article on Hodge Close. I rate Hodge highly for anyone who is interested in the overhead environment - usual disclaimer here, get proper training and get properly equipped before entering tunnels etc.  I did my very first "cave" dive here and it was fantastic. It's an open water site with beautiful tunnels and a nice cavern.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in some reports,
it will need to wait a while though - I've just moved 300 miles south to be nearer Dorothea in order to do intensive build up diving prior to the Buitenzorg in October. I will definitely be posting a big report on that dive, it's a wreck in the Sound of Mull in the range of 103 metres. I am really hoping that the weather is on our side as a lot of boat dives are being blown out recently.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

sorry Ammers but...  Capernwray, Hodge close, Wastwater etc, Yorkshire?  are you sure?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Everyone an inland site but I'd still be very interested to read your comments about them Ammers so bring it on...
:biggrin:

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

And I don't think that anyone particularily mentioned that they need be Yorkshire sites....in fact I mentioned the lack of reports on the UK sites forum too.  It was just that people seem to post trip reports, no probs, but don't take the time to post a site report to let others experience the same trip.  If folks know a site particularily well, why not share that info?

I don't think that saying you can e-mail it, although a nice offer, is the point.  the point was that there are fora not used well on this site, and hence what is some valuable knowledge is not disseminated.

And just for the record...if I knew any sites well enough, I would post it.  Give me a chance to get to that stage though! (Off to Portland tomorrow for the first time - quite excited!)

Cheers

Lou

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

mmmmm I dont know .. some people just dont know their puddings from that lancashire hotpot stuff  !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts