YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Belgica is our "local" wreck, situated just North of my house. It's one of those places I like to go if the weather's not "all that" or if I'm in a hurry but just NEED to get in the water. Well this was one of those days. In a hurry, needed to get in the water.
Belgica was with Amundsen (Scott's opponent) on one of his Antarctic expeditions. With more a barge-status she was sunk during a German bomb attack on the British HQ here in Harstad in 1940. She was laden with dynamite and therefore you can still find a few bricks not suitable for building a fireplace!  

Stats: Max depth 22 meter, 45 minutes. A pleasant dive.

The stern:

The bow (not MY silt!):

Two visiting buddies:

And a nudibranch.

Comments or questions are welcome.

Kyrre

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>You are one lucky boy, it has even got Liz interested and she is not reallya cold water poor viz diver. But is impressed with the photos.

Many thanks & very jealous!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Very cool photos Kyrre,
I am very envious that you have so much of interest to dive around.
I am off for my first wreck dive at Easter, The HMS Waikato and the HMS Tui which are all up in the Poor Nights region.
I gather if I really want to do some good wreck diving then I have to come and visit europe
Steve

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Steve, I think that should be Poor Knights
Kyrre, lousy vis again  

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 22 2004,00:04)]
<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks for the comments guys. It wasn't before I met you guys I understood how fortunate I am to live in an area with so many more or less intact wrecks and with the kind of visibility that we do get, especially in the winter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Kyrre, lousy vis again  
It didn't get any better with my buddy finning about without consideration for others... You can imagine I was mad at him when we got up having taken pictures like this for instance (Check the black silt coming up under his fins):

Here's one more, this time so high up that he's not able to ruin the vis

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

What's all that junk hanging off the top guy in the second pic?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 23 2004,17:38)]What's all that junk hanging off the top guy in the second pic?
<font color='#0000FF'>Well he's got his console. Then there's the borrowed Olympus 5050 with external flash in a borrowed housing in his left hand, though it looks like it's hanging off him. He's got his own house hanging sans camera in order to test it at depths since it flooded some time ago.

Kyrre

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Ah, right! Fair enough!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts