YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Well, just got home this afternoon after spending 6 hours last night in the recompression chamber at the Wirral - had a bend in my right elbow and a skin bend across my shoulders / back. Not going to go too much into details as to what happened but the lessons learned the hard way are:

1. Diving a computer to its limit is NOT sensible - plan dives using tables and use a computer as backup - NOT the other way around. On US Navy tables, I missed approx 24 minutes of stops - my computer was clear all the way.

2. Be aware of what to do if you SUSPECT you may have something wrong. Tingling fingers & itchy shoulders was all I had to start off - 5 hours later I was sat in the pot wondering what the hell was happening!

3. Know the contact details and routes to the NEAREST chamber (many thanks to Andy Hayhurst for guiding me to the Wirral)

4. Realise that it could EASILY be you!

I now got a 4 week dive ban (I'm going to do 6 to be sure) and a pair of sore shoulders for the next week to remind me to heed the above advice.

Many thanks to ALL the staff at the North West Emergency Recompression Unit for their professionalism and dedication - no recriminations from any of them despite having to sit with me till after 1am this morning.

Also thanks to Andy Horsley (2tanx) for dropping everything at 5pm last night and driving me for 2 1/2 hours to the unit - a true friend indeed.

Am feeling fine (if a little sore) and have a lot to take from this experience. We will be putting together a list of all the chambers, contact numbers and so on for all YD'ers to print off and keep with them on every trip (thanks again Andy Hayhurst for providing this info)

Regards (and dive safe boys and girls!)

Jay

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Glad to see you are OK.

Absolutely agree about the staff at the pots, all they want is to fix us up and the best way for them to do that is if we get there asap.

Matt

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Glad to hear you're OK. I know how you feel(Pissed off and stupid). 6hrs, pah, do that standing on my head. Seriously though I'm glad you're safe'n'sound. That's the main thing. Stupidity goes away, death doesn't!!!!!!
  I know exactly what you mean about computers. I missed roughly the same amount.

Take it easy
Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

'Kin Ell  

And big enough to review the gig in front a festival crowd as well!

Well-in mate and glad to see you're all in one piece.

There, but for the grace of God.....

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Glad you're OK Jay - and nice one Andy 2tanx too - I know he's a mate but he really came through for you.

I can understand why you don't wanna go into much detail but as someone who uses a computer for deco calcs most of the time it's got me worried

Hope your recovery is quick and as painfree as poss and you're back doing what you wanna do as soon as you want.

All the best

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ April 10 2003,15:59)]I can understand why you don't wanna go into much detail but as someone who uses a computer for deco calcs most of the time it's got me worried
Hi Gav,
       The chambers keep telling us this but trying to get people that havn't been through it to listen is an impossible task. It's a shame that folk need to learn the hard way instead of listening to what previously bent divers are trying to tell them. It's almost a bury their haed in the sand thinking that it wont happen to them, untill it does. This isn't a pop at Jay, just a general observation.

Peter

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Jay, all the best.  Hope that you recover in double-quick time.  Understand you not wanting to go into details but anything that you can post to help us learn will be truly welcome.  I think alot of people did take something away from Peter's incident (no matter what he thinks ;)!)

Best of Luck

Lou

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

Lou - nothing secretive but the main points are detailed in my first post. I didn't breach any limits - well within deco obligations, slow ascent rate, 1.5 hour surface interval but that was all according to my computer which is a well conservative Suunto (there are MUCH more liberal computers out there). No identifiable reason for my bend unless you use the US Navy tables which don't recognise the 1.5 hr surface interval and clump both dives together giving a square profile of 35m for nearly an hour.

Apart from that, heavy workload at the surface could have contributed (almost certainly in my opinion now) - twinset and stage cylinders on a walk from Stoney carpark down to the water and back up. Didn't drink any alchohol the night before, was well hydrated but was diving air instead of nitrox. Basically though, it was not planning the dive on square profile tables I reckon - plain and simple.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>As everyone else has said, glad to hear you're ok, no doubt you've been really shook up by it, reckon anybody would be.
Even with square profile tables a bend can sometimes happen.
Think you've probably on the right track with the after-dive  exertion
Take it easy
steve

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I think you just want to keem me to my warm water girly dives mate.
Glad that you are ok and take it easy Jay.

Regards
Michael

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heads Up @ April 09 2003,15:56)]...Know the contact details and routes to the NEAREST chamber ...
...We will be putting together a list of all the chambers, contact numbers and so on for all YD'ers to print off and keep with them on every trip... .
Sorry to hear about your bend Jay, but Dave and his merry mob at the Wirral are good. You will go asymptomatic, and as Peter K said (if it makes you feel any more "normal") it's a common reason.
But PLEASE don't follow your own advice (quoted) in Scotland. Only the Coastguard know which NHS registered chamber is not currently busy, and they liase, siamese twin-like, with Aberdeen hyperbaric.
So can I start your list off.
Aberdeen - 999 or 01224681818. Orkney, the same.Shetland, the same, Oban, the same. The Clyde, the same. Any b----y where else in Scotland, the same.
Be aware that if you don't attend an NHS approved pot in Scotland (or one registered under the Care Standards Act in England or Wales) you will be billed. (Treatments start at about £10,000).
Also be aware that if you can shout the CG directly, i.e. when at/adjacent to the sea, your transport times is many hours shorter ! (re. Peter K's thread).
Sorry to go on, on your bit, but don't look on it as a time you can't dive, look on it as a time to get all those little jobs done on the kit that you,ve been meaning to do for ages.

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

...Jay Jay Jay....glad you are all right mate....i am now paranoid about my suunto...

get well quick
moray

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phill @ April 10 2003,20:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heads Up @ April 09 2003,15:56)]...Know the contact details and routes to the NEAREST chamber ...
...We will be putting together a list of all the chambers, contact numbers and so on for all YD'ers to print off and keep with them on every trip... .
Sorry to hear about your bend Jay, but Dave and his merry mob at the Wirral are good. You will go asymptomatic, and as Peter K said (if it makes you feel any more "normal") it's a common reason.
But PLEASE don't follow your own advice (quoted) in Scotland. Only the Coastguard know which NHS registered chamber is not currently busy, and they liase, siamese twin-like, with Aberdeen hyperbaric.
So can I start your list off.
Aberdeen - 999 or 01224681818. Orkney, the same.Shetland, the same, Oban, the same. The Clyde, the same. Any b----y where else in Scotland, the same.
Be aware that if you don't attend an NHS approved pot in Scotland (or one registered under the Care Standards Act in England or Wales) you will be billed. (Treatments start at about £10,000).
Also be aware that if you can shout the CG directly, i.e. when at/adjacent to the sea, your transport times is many hours shorter ! (re. Peter K's thread).
Sorry to go on, on your bit, but don't look on it as a time you can't dive, look on it as a time to get all those little jobs done on the kit that you,ve been meaning to do for ages.
Cheers Phill - thats the sort of info we need. 6 weeks is nothing as my original prognosis the night before was a probable PFO and a 6 month wait for a diagnosis plus a further 3-6 month wait for treatment.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Sorry to here that Jay

Did my 4 week ban (well almost) even though it turned out not to be a bend and it felt like eternity.

I have to say that i do like a bit of high percentage 02 to finish off a dive these days.

Cold and deep are not good bedfellows

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

When I took Adam for a precautionary spot of potting they looked at ouir profile and suggested that a saw tooth of just 1.5 mtrs (once) would be enough. We dropped onto the Stanegarth deck, pottled around, dropped to the floor to have a look under her for fishes then back up to the deck followed by another drop to the prop and then a slow ascent back up via the ledge/chopper etc. They didnt like the second drop to the prop, maximum recomended is just 1 mtr.
Jay if you can down load your profile that might indicate a bit of saw toothing which MIGHT have been an additional farctor.

Matt

1 - 20 of 62 Posts