YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long after a dive would you expect to discover symptoms of a bend. Would it be normal to not notice anything for a week, and then get hit with pain.

Thanks in advance

Corinne

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
How long after a dive would you expect to discover symptoms of a bend. Would it be normal to not notice anything for a week, and then get hit with pain.

Thanks in advance

Corinne
Hi Corinne,

In answer to your question it would not be "normal".

If you have any doubt whatsoever, call the Duty Diving Medical Officer on 07831 151523 (24 hrs).(In Scotland call 0845 408 6008 - ask for the on-call hyperbaric doctor.)

They do not mind, they are qualified, and it will put your mind at ease.

Cheers, Paul

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
There used to be guidance that generally symptoms would show within 48 hours. I am also aware that with the subject of DCI there are no rules, so, unless this is hypothetical question, it might be wise to make a call if there's any doubt.
HTH
Mal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't think it was anything, but came back from Hols last Monday (21st) and by Saturday my wrist is absolutely killing me. Haven't knocked it or fell on it, and the pain is just getting more intense. Have been to the Hospital, but was told that as there has been no obvious trauma i.e a fall, they won't x-ray it.

Thanks anyway

Corinne

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
I would definately talk to the hyperbaric doc if I were in your shoes.

Unlikely a bend perhaps, but on the other hand I have read of people getting symptoms a week or more after their last dive (IIRC) and as it's only a phone call, you've nothing to lose by calling...

Good luck getting it resolved.

Dave.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
It seems like a long time, but a call will only take a few minutes so I'd get on the phone for advice.

RN Doctor: 0783 115 1523

·
Resident bibliophile
129 Posts
Time of onset for decompression sickness.

How long after a dive would you expect to discover symptoms of a bend.
The classic paper is:
Predicting the time of occurrence of decompression sickness.
Weathersby et. al. J Appl Physiol. 1992 Apr;72(4):1541-8.
PubMed ID: 1592748
Note: JAP articles are available online. US and UK

Comparative analysis of decompression sickness: type and time of onset.
Torrey et. al. J. Hyperbaric Med 1987; 2(2):55-62
RRR ID: 4327

The DAN Accident reports also comment on "Time of Occurrence" and can be found here as well.

Would it be normal to not notice anything for a week, and then get hit with pain.
Not normal but evaluation is the only way to know. A week out is a long time so don't expect a definitive answer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys for all the advice

Have spoken to the Doc, and she doubts very much that it is a bend. Have been told to rest and not use my wrist at all, so looks like dinner will have to be cooked by Hubby for ooooh the next week or so :teeth:

She advised me to go back to A&E and demand an X-ray

Thanks again

Corinne

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Ill probably get shot down in flames for putting this up but..

A pain only bend is going to happen pretty soon after the dive. Within 12-24 hours I would suggest.

A cerebral or spinal bend can be a lot more subtle and numbness and tingling may occur days alter. Dizzyness and lack of coordination mood swings, again I wouldn't be surprised at days latter.

My last 6 day trimix diving trip to Plymouth. I suffered extreme shoulder pain the night after getting home. It could have easily been a bend but it was unlikely as all i did is load then unload the boat for the blown out dive trip :D never underestimate the pain that can result from unloading/ loading dive kit :D

As always, if in doubt go to the pot and ask a doctor. Its free it will make you feel better and it might just be the thing that saves you from a serious problem.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
She advised me to go back to A&E and demand an X-ray
Exactly. Get down there and tell them that you insist on a swift one of the wrist. :D

I know, I know, is that my coat?

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Have been told to rest and not use my wrist at all, so looks like dinner will have to be cooked by Hubby for ooooh the next week or so :teeth:
That is terrible advice....................................................surely you can cook with one hand ;)

I hope it clears up soon and you're back to diving, also well done for making the call.

Safe diving,
Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts