YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>I suffered a bend this Sunday on the Zenobia & spent 5 hours in the pot but was told nothing after the treatment about diving restrictions. I did a 33m dive with 35 mins of stops in the morning & i had a pain in my shoulder afterwards but this i put down to problems I've had with the arm for the last couple of weeks & the strain of climbing up dodgy ladders with my twins. This was a mistake. In the afternoon i did a further dive on the "Z" & put my VR3 safety up to 20% thinking that damaged tissue (muscle strain) can cause a bend. I did a 42m dive for 81 mins with 45mins of stops & knew before I'd finished the dive that i'd had a hit. Someone had borrowed the boats O2 without refilling it so it lasted only 3 mins. On the way to the hospital i was in great pain. The hospital put me on O2 but i believe the flow rate was too low. I eventually had to call a nurse as they left me thinking it was a minor thing. My left arm was numb & paralysed, i had pins & needles in my right fingers & both legs, my stomach was numb, my chest was tightening & my cheeks & lips were numb which effected my speech. I was in agony & struggling to breath when they eventually decided to put me in the pot for 5 hours all due i believe to dehydration. Today i feel like shit & pissed off. The underlying opinion seem to be that it was my fault. "I should've realised that it was a bend before the 2nd dive" or "my twins are too heavy" are two comments I've heard. Not to mention the discussions on doing a deeper dive second. I don't know what type of bend it was but it hurt like hell. So much for the slight tingling of pins & needles.
  I'll probably put this on the forums as a bit of a warning to people who do what i did & have done on numerous occasions. "I must've strained a muscle getting out" only to find that i hadn't    
Good diving

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I know that we all sail a bit close to the wind sometimes with our dive plans etc.  When you look at stuff like this you think - gods i would never do anything like that, but i bet we all have! (maybe not so deep, but the wee "it wont matter" bits).

Hope you feel better soon hun

porg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I eventually had to call a nurse as they left me thinking it was a minor thing.
Unfortunately, ignorance of DCS among non-hyperbaric medical & nursing staff appears to be widespread - same with ambulance crews. At this Hyperbaric Medicine Unit (Aberdeen) we try to keep awareness up by sending out info, etc.

If anyone has had similar problems, with A&E depts particularly, send us a quick e-mail and we will try to remedy the situation... so at least the next time they see a diver they'll know what to do.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Tough break Rob hope your fulley recovered soon. Dont be too hard on your self it can be very dificult to deturmin the diferance between a twinset and stages induced strain injury and a minor bend. It is also impracticle to go running off to the chamber after every twinge. If I did I would have to get a seasion ticket.

As for doing the second dive deeper than the first? There is no evidance to back up this theory but the deco models were never tested that way round. I have reverse profile dived many times without incident so its not a guarenteed hit.

Heavy tanks WTF
??

Whilst we British dont like to complain I sincerely hope you persue the skiper of the boat for not having an adiquate 02 readily available. The Z is not a bimble dive (not that it would be much excuse if it was) and 02 can meen the diferance between being OK and being in a wheelchair.

Name and shame so at least we can be forwarned and ask if ever we go on that boat.

I hope it was near the end of the trip

EDIT
Sorry I am a donky I just remembered you live there

Take care of yourself

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Rob,

Good luck on a speedy return to normal.

Thanks for posting - must have taken balls.

Juz

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

So sorry to read about this Rob. Get well soon matee,

Noel

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Rob

Sorry to hear about that.  I really hope you recover completely and quickly.  

I echo Mark's thoughts on the O2 - give the guy a hard time on that!  If he made it clear he didn't have a kit, then fair enough, but to have one but only have it partially filled is the worse scenario.

Best of wishes

Lou

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Hope you are feeling better, thanks for sharing the experience with us.....we've probably all felt a twinge after a dive and said to ourselves 'Nah...its just a muscle strain'

Best wishes

Conor

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Rob,

Tks for the info + hope you can get back to diving soon.

I have made several posts in the past, both here and on D/net, abt whether I (we divers) could distinguish between a mild DCI and a pain due to strain injury or getting a knock.

On a recent 40 mtr dive (abt 30 mins ascent to surface inc deco) I got a sharp pain in my calf muscle whilst hanging abt at 3 mtrs. As I was just floating abt I was worried that it was a bend even though I was sure it was cramp.

One thing from your post we can all benefit from is that we should check with the skipper before we go out that he has O2 available, where it is and that he has checked its contents recently.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Rob, bad luck mate.

I am happy to believe that a lot of hits are nothing more than bad luck, the science is still so indefinite that even if we do everything as by the book we still can get hit so dont beat yourself up over it.

I noticed from your profile that you are in Cyprus and I think their attitude differs very much from my experience in the UK in that It was very much a no-blame philosophy when I took my son in.

There have been discussions about reverse profiles, you might like to search YD for the subject but I seem to recall that minor reverse was acceptable or at least thought to be.

As for thinking it was a strain, I agree with Mark, everytime I dive something aches and there is no way I could go down to Whipps Cross Hyperbaric every time.

It was indeed awful that the Skipper wasnt aware his 02 was used/empty and I would be surprised if that wasnt in itself a criminal act, have you investigated that, arent you self employed over there so no work no pay? I am not one for compensation culture but in this case?

You might like to call one of the UK Hypers for info on when you can next dive but usually if you have had treatment and dci is confirmed there is a re-examination after a few weeks and a no-dive policy too. Are you due for anymore time in the pot? And then you are back to build up dives for a while too.

Anyway bottom line is I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

Matt

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Rob

Good luck in a swift recovery.

Was that a civie dive and hospital?

Regards

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hey Rob,

Cheers for a good report, hope you recover quickly from your ordeal.

It's nice to see people tell all about their experiences as in the world i see & hear about it in 3 ways.

1) . Diver's tell you about them having a bend as they want you to learn from thier experience.
2) . Some divers that have had a bend find it macho, and ya not a real diver 'til ya had one.
3) . Divers that keep quiet about it, cos they are ashamed to admit it.

safe diving

Andy.

ps, As a charter boat skipper and advertising that i carry O2, if it ever failed i would expect to be dragged though the courts....... Thats why i check my kit before every dive, so i know it's tip top.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Feb. 04 2004,19:42)]
2) . Some divers that have had a bend find it macho, and ya not a real diver 'til ya had one.
OI commie, i'm one of them.  I'm not macho about it though (i'm as camp as you can get) i just think you're only playing at it until you have a bend.  

I can't wait until my next one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rob

Good luck in a swift recovery.

Was that a civie dive and hospital?

Regards

Paul
It was a civvy dive & a civvy hostpital. & a dive i'd done before with about the same dive time & stops.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Rob,

Thanx, dehydration is my big thing at the moment as well, but its not too hot out there now is it, afterall you could ski this week at Troodos if you want, although having just had a bend the altitude would not be a good idea

Were you taking it easy on the fluids 'cos of the hang time's?

Like Andy said thanks for sharing the experience/lesson.

All the best,

Paul

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>rob,
hope it doesn't keep you out to long and you make a full recovery,thanks for the details.
cheers
barrie

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Feb. 04 2004,10:08)]As for doing the second dive deeper than the first? There is no evidance to back up this theory but the deco models were never tested that way round. I hope it was near the end of the trip

Mark Chase
Sorry, but yes they were/are. Never promulgated as an option though - for fairly obvious reasons. Plenty of papers published globally on the work (plus one lass's disagreeing  - in specific circumstances).

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Oh Dougie ,

And you admit to Milbay pit as well as riding a BABY blade  
  lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Glad to hear you're on the mend Rob.

The Zen is a cracker, dont let it put you off.
Get back on the horse and all that.

Regards. Stu.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts