YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stability - in an ever spinning world
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Group: Technical Divers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i was on the phone to my buddy the other day,and he was saying he's had a pain in his shoulder for some time....sinse we had a dive at gildenburg in petterborough,he has spoken to a dive doc and he is at this minute sitting in the pot in london.
i did say on the day that the profile we had done was really crap all we had done was follow the lake bed in zero vis but when i recaled it on my pc it was clear how bad it really was!!!
i've come out fine but i was using my rebreather so was breathing nitrox at 40%

what i would like to know is how many other people dive a profile like this in gildy when in bad vis????is there many that get a bend????was this just unlucky? or is the topography at gildy lending it's self to the bends?

are max depth was 18m max time 23mins

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Have you seen some of the print outs of De8us dives. We are talking masive depths and BIG saw tooth profiles with half a douzon speedy ascents thrown in for good measure and he apeares to get away with it.

Its not so much the dive that gets you its the chosen method of ending it that counts.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

How do you mean a bad profile - did you sawtooth a lot because you lost your orientation of depth/buoyancy?

23 mins at 18m is still 28mins short of no stop time on BSAC '88 so I imagine well within other tables too.

Paul

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>There are a zillion reasons for someone to get a bend.  I have had some appaling dive profiles, such as 30m wreck, do the penetration bits, swim along its length, back up along the highest bit, signal to buddy that i had 3 mins of no deco - so she swims BACK DOWN to penetrate the wreck again.. Gods i wish i had longer arms to strangle her with.
I have been checked out twice for possible bends, once was a skin rash after my buddy went whoosh, the second was after the same god dammned buddy as above decided to say she was OOA at 6m and couldnt do the 1min safety stop.  She had 70 bar in a 12, and a full pony
 .  Both times was decided that it was a false alarm thank god.

But anyway.  He may have been tired, he may have a PFO, stress due to the low vis may have helped, he may have been dehydrated, he may have been unlucky.

Hope he is ok

·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

your both right saw toothed profile  bouyancy was fine we were justended up following the profile of the lake because we could'nt see anything eles!! we were well in on all the tables,and we did a safty stop.most of the dive was spent at less than 12m but the saw tooth did it
im shoure a lot of people do this at gildenberg as its used as a shallow traing pit but are there any numbers???

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

As far a I remember, Guildy is fairly flat bottomed at the very bottom - i.e. heading out towards the bus following the rope - certainly nothing rising more than a metre or so.

I would say there is nothing in there that would warrant being blamed for a bend. When I am training (AAS ascent or CBL) we do 15 to 6 about 3-4 times a dive without any hassle.

Probably have a look at the suggestions Porg has made. Sounds very unlucky to me.

Paul

·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

may be your all right,my buddy is one of them unlucky peeps:p
well i wish him all the best i think he comes out tonight(i think maybe he should have taken a book to read!!!)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Best wishes from me too - Thankfully I have not been in the pot (touch wood) apart from a dry dive, but the stories I have heard are that it is pretty boring. One piece of advise I have heard (the person who gave it to me is on here so will probably recognise it) is to have a pee when you need one, don't wait it out thinking you will be O.K

Paul

·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

not to shoure off the top of my head just gental up's and downs ,i've done dives a lot  deeper for a lot longer and had some pretty bad profiles this one wasnt text book but in the gernral it wasnt the worst.
the dive was quit smoth from what i remember a few up bits and a few down
for me i really mentiond it on the day because i was on my RB and this profile waists gas not really because it was outragusly bad:)

·
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

just to let you all know my buddy's out of the pot,
and he's all right.... no diving for a wile and no more that 10m for a couple of mounths
thanks for the descution and the concern

1 - 11 of 11 Posts