YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
GUE Tech and Cave Instructor
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

In a change from normal responses I'd like to ask a question that might result in positive responses (Ok, I'm not expecting this to actually work for long)

What is the best dive shop that you use, and why?

Get stuck in :)

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Venture sports, Paignton.

Geoff who owns it and used to run it really knows his stuff, would service a reg while you stood chatting and charge well under the odds for this.

Geoff still owns it but passed the baton and his knowledge to Anthony who also does in store service. The prices are good, the welcome warm and the customer service is exemplary...

Others could learn a lot from this operation.

Venturesports | Spearfishing | Scuba Diving

Scubadivingstore.co.uk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Slough Scuba Store.......great service, competitive prices and a wealth of information. Now on a serious note........piss take central and the kettle is never cold.....what more could you possibly ask for?.........maybe a bit of discount for the plug (not).

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
Bristol Channel Divers in Cardiff. Not exactly local but worth the trip, especially for cylinder testing etc.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Slough Scuba Store.......great service, competitive prices and a wealth of information. Now on a serious note........piss take central and the kettle is never cold.....what more could you possibly ask for?.........maybe a bit of discount for the plug (not).
Another vote for Gary at Slough Scuba, so good that we asked him to bring some stuff out for us on his latest trip (this week). Bless him he added a few bits and pieces that he thought we might find useful. There aren't many people more helpful and knowledgeable around.

·
owner of rectotec
1,678 Posts
The Dive Shop Stourbridge.

Friendly, helpfull & knowledgeable. They've helped me out far too many times in the past 18 months & have enabled me to get where I want to be. They also tend to treat people as friends rather than customers.

The Dive Shop Stourbridge

TG

·
Conscientious Objector
1,269 Posts
OK, here goes:

Andark, on the A27 just by the Hamble, because they're only down the road and are jolly nice guys and girls. They do really good and fast drysuit repairs and although a lot of the time I ring up / pop in and ask "Have you got a <whatever bit of kit>?" and they haven't got it / can't get close for a price match, they are honest about it and do me some good discount as a regular customer.

Deep Ideas, because they have really gucci toys and they always send stuff faster than ought to be possible. And they put sweeties in with your order!

Dive Life, again because of good prices and good customer service for online shopping.

Force 4 chandlery, B&Q and Halfords, because duct tape, cable ties, string and bits of bungee are dive kit too... Aren't they?

Seriously though, Andark are not the cheapest for a lot of things, but I can walk there from my house (granted not with the twins for a fill) and I have cultivated a good relationship with them. Unless your LDS are a complete bag of knobs, it's worth supporting them. The alternative in my case is a 30 min trip each way for a DIY nitrox fill at the club. Which reminds me...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Dive Life. They have everything or can get it. It's rather better when Brett is present.
Really?????

2 mins up the road from me and wont use.

Addmittedly not met Bret personally but the staff are next door to f$&king useless. Bought kit and had airfills there and felt unwanted by staff that ignore you.
(My personal experiences). It may not be the norm.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Amphibian in South Norwood. Jim (and his staff) are great, his servicing is excellent, and they do great gas fills.

I rarely go to dive shops, online I have used Dive Life, Go Dive, Simply Scuba, 4th Element (just Apeks) and Divers Whorehouse. The last 2 were poor enough I would avoid in future.

·
- .... . / -.. .. ...- . / ..-. --- .-. ..- --
557 Posts
Another one for Bristol Channel Diving in Cardiff. Neil and co are really top notch with everything you need.

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Amphibian are excellent, I travel across london to go there.

My local, Croxley Divers, are expensive and Tim can be a bit odd to deal with sometimes, but they have got me out of the crap a few times and they do all the testing/servicing in house. On the whole I like them, and I buy stuff there when I can.

·
On a break....
962 Posts
Atlantic Scuba (Mabe, nr Falmouth) - Mark's got a shop going now, he's a friendly sort and is trying hard, he produces free guides to the local area, has got some of his spidge on display, gives good fills, sells some second hand kit to get you going, or shiny new Posedon stuff if thats what you want, and after that he'll run you a course, take you diving and then organise a beach clean.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Really?????

2 mins up the road from me and wont use.

Addmittedly not met Bret personally but the staff are next door to f$&king useless. Bought kit and had airfills there and felt unwanted by staff that ignore you.
(My personal experiences). It may not be the norm.
I'm guessing you're a Saturday afternoon customer. Yes service can be slow then.

But we're talking about the best we use rather than the ideal.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts