YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Kite is right"
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks,
anyone been out to Marsa Alam diving ??

Planning a trip out there in July and now Techstream are at marsa I am thinking of taking the inspo.

any recommendations o the best dives out there ??

ash

·
Top Bloke
2,674 Posts
A lot depends on where you are staying. If it is Marsa Ghalip that is actually a hours drive North of Marsa Alam and Shams is an hour south and they all have various 'local' sites.
The other main variable is what sort of depths and what sort of scenary you want.
Elphinstone is good.
Sha'ab Marsa Alam is also good and much closer.
Abu Dabor is great for a shore dive and rarely used.
I would normally suggest Abu Dabab but it is apparently temporally closed to divers.

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
Sha'ab samadai, or Dolphin Reef, is superb. It has the best large coral formations i've seen in the Red Sea and the life there is superb. And, if you wish, you can also snorkel with the resident pod of spinner dolphins. I much preferred it to Elphinstone, which is also an utterly superb site.

S.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Dolphin House is good but really Marsa Shoni Kebeir for which there is no marine surcharge to pay is an excellent reef formation... shame about Abu Dabab but it was coming, the scenery when we were there was shocking if not extremely worrying...

Elphinstone is worth the trip out there which from Port Ghalib is 2 hrs (approx) - it does usually carry a surcharge but well worth it if the weather is good... if it is really windy, do not bother, the currents are too strong and you will sail a long way for one dive if even...

Marsa Alam trips are great... would love to go back there.. fabulous place..

B x

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
Dolphin House is good but really Marsa Shoni Kebeir for which there is no marine surcharge to pay is an excellent reef formation... shame about Abu Dabab but it was coming, the scenery when we were there was shocking if not extremely worrying...
Are you saying that the reef at Abu Daba has been damaged there? I was only there in 2004 and it was in stunning condition. I really hope this isn't the case.

S.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The reference to shocking scenes in Abu Dabab is describing the hundreds (literally) of snorkellers and divers all surrounding 1 poor dugong trying to eat and getting in it's way when it's trying to come up for air - foolish really - a bit like getting in the way of a juggernaut going down hill with no brakes but nevertheless the dugongs need to be protected from stupid tourists and irresponsible tour operators so for the time being it is closed.

I am living in Hurghda and am in close touch with HEPCA (Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conservation Association) so if any one wants any more info please feel free to PM or e-mail.([email protected])

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The reference to shocking scenes in Abu Dabab is describing the hundreds (literally) of snorkellers and divers all surrounding 1 poor dugong trying to eat and getting in it's way when it's trying to come up for air - foolish really - a bit like getting in the way of a juggernaut going down hill with no brakes but nevertheless the dugongs need to be protected from stupid tourists and irresponsible tour operators so for the time being it is closed.
That is exactly why.... when we were there there was about 40 snorklers dropped off on the poor dugong.. how the 3 divers (all of us with cameras and holding our distance, using zoom to take pictures) managed to take any pics of the dugong was a miracle...

I wish these careless tour operators would stop this... saw similar scenes at Elphinstone.. no wonder there was no sharks...

B x

PICTURE OF DENNIS THE DUGONG... : (note all the scars)

·
bleedingheartliberalpcgon emadtreehuggingdogooder
1,135 Posts
That is a fantastic photo B.

I've not been to Marsa Alam for 3 yrs. When we went there were just 8 of us in the water. The other six went off to dive round the reef whilst my partner and i headed off to the sea grass beds and after 5 mins spotted two turtles feeding on the seagrass. No one else turned up and we just lay down on the bottom stayed stock still and watched the turtles for 20 mins. They'd feed, pop up for air and then drop back down right by us, every now and then they'd come closer, take a look at us and then carry on feeding. No dugongs, but still one of the best dives I've ever done!

I did go on the snorkel trip to Dolphin House but I have to say it was possibly one of the worst excursions I've done. We were told not to swim after the dolphins, not to try to touch them, just stay still - they'll come to us.
Most of our boat did that, but the hundreds of snorkellers dropped in from the half dozen or so boats around clearly hadn't. What ensued was half an hour of mad thrashing, shouting, grabbing, from the other snorkellers. It was so frustrating to see people blatantly disregard what to do.

We just snorkelled off to a quieter section of the reef, and I think the dolphins had the same idea. They seemed to have no desire to be near the noisy splashy thrashy bunch and so we were treated to quite a few fairly close fly-bys from them whilst the general horde saw very little.

It just annoys me so much to see people showing such blatant disregard and if closing down divesites for a while to reduce the pressures put on them then I'm totally in favour.

Elphinstone was a great dive, and we were treated to a visit from grey reef and hammerhead sharks and a rather playful Humphead Wrasse who seemed to like swimming above divers and playing in the bubbles as they exhaled. Our second trip out was quite rough, there was a fairly heavy swell which made for a rather queasy trip! We were told to make a negative buoyancy entry and drop straight down severy meters to avoid the currents, but it turned out there weren't any!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The dugong by the way is almost certainly a Denise not a Dennis - and the scars are probably mostly mating scars!!
Emperor in Coral Beach Diving calls him Dennis and said he was very much a male and the scars was propeller scars from boats ignoring the exclusion zone which is in place around the lagoon (or whatever it can be described as) ... he (or she) is truly a priviledge to have seen, an amazing experience, but the overload of careless divers and snorklers makes you sad to the core... we should all take care of the ocean, appreciate our priviledge in seeing these amazing creatures and allow for some level of self regulation... 15 boats in one place is just too much....

Lucky you anyway.. working for Emperor in red sea.. very envious... dived with them 3 times last year and regard them as a top notch outfit...

B x

·
Registered
36 Posts
The problem with assessing the gender of a dugong is that you have to get underneath it!! Anyone who has seen a dugong will know that that is a bit risky - they are cute but they are HEAVY!! Proof positive will have to wait!! And yes B , I am very happy doing what I am doing!! Thanks for the positive comments!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts