YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

i have just bought a twinset and iso manifold and am about to take it out for the first time. a recent dive magazine suggests that the best way to use an iso manifold twin set is;

1. to use 1/3 of one cylinder then switch and use 1/3 of the other for the 1st half of the dive and then repeat for the second half of the dive and the final 1/3 is kept for reserve.if at any part of the dive a reg fails then the cylinders can be joined together and total contents used for the remaining part of the dive.

SO THE DIVE IS COMMENCED WITH TWO COMPLETELY SEPERATE CYLINDERS IN EFFECT

BUT

ive have also been told to use the cylinders with iso manifold open at the start of the dive (perhaps 1/2 turn open) and should a reg problem occur I.E FREEFLOW the cylinders can be isolated quickly. I have been told by a reputable instructor that this is the best method as it avoids taking regs out at depth and swapping between the two cylinders

My questions is WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD?  

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

hey there,

use the second method definatly it means that you can shut the manifold and shut down the ofending pillar valve re-open the manifold and have access to both cylinders.

DD:)

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

The problem with jumping straight in and using method 2 above is if you cannot isolate quick enough.

I would sugest using method 1 to start with, no harm in getting used to gas management and swapping regs and at the same time practising openning and shutting the isolation valve.
When you can operate the isolator quickly and confidently chance to method 2.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Method 2, the ONLY way to go, that's why you got manifolded twins. Please practice drills under supervision of mates who know what to do and can assist untill you can do a full shutdown.

If you can't shutdown then you shouldn't be diving them, in my opinion

Also my advice would be some formal training, IANTD, TDI, GUE etc etc. The courses teach good skills and are good fun at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts