YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

What is the best set up for regs on a twin set?

i.e extra long hose for primary reg, both regs coming from right hand side etc etc

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

You'll have many replies with many answers with many variations on this question but here's the Hogarthian setup... In many peoples opinion, including mine this is the correct one... lol.. now I've started something, anyway here goes....

Right post (your right shoulder)
* Primary Regulator on long hose
* Direct feed to wing.

Left post (your left shoulder)
* Backup Regulator
* HP hose to SPG
* Direct feed to drysuit (unless using an argon bottle)

HTH
Dave.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Dave I assume your assembly is pretty 'normal' so my question might be stupid but here goes anyway.
Rt post to wing? Assuming you lose the right hand side you would lose both main reg and main buoyancy at the same time. Also doesnt the rt hand side wing hose cross over the lf hand suit feed. I thought I would have rt hand feeding primary reg and under arm to suit inflator with lft hand feeding secondary and wing. By mixing one side with primary and secondary functions i.e. Main reg and suit, second reg and wing you always have a one primary and one secondary operating rather than all primary or all secondary depending on which side fails.
Matt

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Oct. 19 2003,13:28)]
I thought I would have rt hand feeding primary reg and under arm to suit inflator with lft hand feeding secondary and wing. By mixing one side with primary and secondary functions i.e. Main reg and suit, second reg and wing you always have a one primary and one secondary operating rather than all primary or all secondary depending on which side fails.
 That works for me.  Everyone to their own.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Matt,

That's how I do it...and for the same reasons you mention.

Graham

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rt post to wing? Assuming you lose the right hand side you would lose both main reg and main buoyancy at the same time.
But why do you want to put air into a wing? You're already neutral...

More importantly: You can only inflate a drysuit by direct feed. You can inflate a wing orally. Since the right post, being the one you breathe, is the most likely to ice up and need to be turned off, you want to keep your wing on it so you can inflate both your bouyancy sources, whereas if you had the suit on the right, you couldn't inflate it at all. (Unless you had a DIM drysuit
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also doesnt the rt hand side wing hose cross over the lf hand suit feed.
Suit feed goes under the left arm. On my rig, anyway

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I thought I would have rt hand feeding primary reg and under arm to suit inflator with lft hand feeding secondary and wing. By mixing one side with primary and secondary functions i.e. Main reg and suit, second reg and wing you always have a one primary and one secondary operating rather than all primary or all secondary depending on which side fails.
The other point to bear in mind is that you know your right post is on, because you're breathing off it. That's why we donate the primary.. right?
So, if your left post ISN'T switched on for some reason, and you have to donate your primary, you can breathe off the wing inflate unit whilst you sort out why not - hit the inflate and purge button together and you have air to breathe. You can't do that if the wing is fired off the left post.
This is especially important if you have an Argon inflate unit as you don't use the left post at all until the excrement hits the air circulation unit..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts