YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

There are some excellent diving shots in Ron's new mag and I've signed up for it. Have a butcher's at these:

http://www.beyondmagazine.co.uk

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Bren,

Today I received my eagerly awaited copy of the 1st issue of Ron's mag. I'm sure a number of YD have also now received their magazines, so what are your thoughts?

I'm impressed with this first issue, some very interesting articles, excellent underwater shots and a very pleasing layout and presentation. i.e none of that crap in other magazines.

gareth

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Aye Gareth,

Mine dropped throught the letter box this morning too. And yes, I'm very impressed with it - a very well illustrated (colour and B&W) magazine for the serious diver (wreck or scenic). The stories are by some of the most respected diving-journo's in the business (Ned Middleton's article on Cousteau's Conshelf is excellent); there's subs, RB stuff and ice-diving; talk about variety!

And the benefit is that it's a quarterly and not monthly mag, so the quality can hopefully remain high.

Well done Ron Mahoney and good luck for the future of BTB!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Good articles. some very good photos. The free copy was a real bargain.

If they can keep up this quality I'll definately subscribe.

Hope they do well.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Mine arrived yesterday.
I went straight to the article about the U297 sub in the Orkneys, simply because of the two guys who found it Ian Trumpess & Kevin Heath.
The first time we went to Scapa in 1998 we used Ian Trumpess and The Radiant Queen, we found him to be a great skipper with a crap boat.
When we went back in 1999 we used a different boat but did the hard hat surface supplied dive with Kevin Heath.
It was when we returned in 2000 that we found out that Ian Trumpess had the dry suit zip failure so the date of 2001 in the mag article is wrong, very minor error.
Rest of the magazine looks excellent.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Yep,

Kept me awake on a night shift no problems, very good stuff, hopefully they can keep the quality up.

Very dependant on Leigh Bishop i think, but then make use of the best available.

I think i will be subscribing to this one.

Paul

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (diving dude @ Feb. 08 2004,00:09)]It was when we returned in 2000 that we found out that Ian Trumpess had the dry suit zip failure so the date of 2001 in the mag article is wrong, very minor error.
Hey Howard,

I was impressed that you read the article and didn't just look at the pictures and I'm even more impressed that you picked up a mistake involving numbers!!  
 I'll pass it on to Ron.

Watch out for the next issue at LIDS.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

I cannot beleve a builder insists on the lower number undefined undefined

Paul

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>anybody know where i can find subscription details?

K

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Norseman @ Feb. 08 2004,10:48)]anybody know where i can find subscription details?
£12.00 UK,  £30.00 Europe for a years subscription (4 issues)

Cheque Payable to:  British Caledonian Publishing

British Caledonian Publishing
24 Deansgate,
Blackpool
Lancashire
FY1 1BN

or call: 01253 287111 and you can use your card.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (diving dude @ Feb. 08 2004,00:09)]The first time we went to Scapa in 1998 we used Ian Trumpess and The Radiant Queen, we found him to be a great skipper with a crap boat.
<font color='#000080'>The guys at scapa scuba have got the radiant queen now - hopefully doing a complete re-fit

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Feb. 08 2004,11:37)]The guys at scapa scuba have got the radiant queen now - hopefully doing a complete re-fit
Yep and Ian has MV Invincible now.  Cracking bar on board but the accom a little cramped.  Ian's skippering however is still the same and more than makes up for a pokey bunk.

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

I thought it was a good read especially the Leigh Bishop articles and the Sub article.  The Bikini Atoll stuff was also interesting.  The only thing that spoiled it for me was the Tyne wrecks article by Simon Volpe which looks very similar if not the same to the article he wrote that appeared in Dive last february.  Not a bad start though.

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

I applyed for a free copy of the mag and its not arrived yet

1 - 15 of 15 Posts