Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

A touch of the 'Ho Chi Mhin Two-step'

Britons in 'paradise' hit by food bug
By Sean O'Neill
(Filed: 28/05/2003)

On the flight to their holiday in paradise, there was laughter, champagne and cake. The return journey, however, was a time for queasy tummies and keeping the sickbags close to hand.

More than 40 people who paid thousands of pounds for a holiday in the luxury Maldives resort of Meerufenfushi are threatening legal action against tour operators after suffering severe sickness.

Several were taken by boat to hospital on neighbouring islands and five have been confirmed as salmonella cases. That number is expected to rise as further test results are confirmed. Lorraine Rowson and her husband, Guy, spent £3,200 on the holiday - which promised "beautiful soft sand beaches…excellent snorkelling and a 'love boat' cruise" - after 12 months at work in their new pub.

Accompanying them on their holiday were old friends Andrew and Gail Lythgoe. But Mrs Rowson and Mr Lythgoe were struck down by stomach pains within days of arriving and had to be ferried to hospital.

"On the way out, we had hired a stretch limousine to take us to the airport, we upgraded our flights and we had champagne and cake on the plane to celebrate Mrs Lythgoe's birthday," said Mrs Rowson, 42.

"We booked an all-inclusive holiday and had villas on the beach. We arrived on Monday, spent Tuesday on the beach but on Wednesday I couldn't get out of bed I was so ill.

"I was in bed again on Thursday and my husband called the doctor four times. At 5am on Friday, he found me slumped in a chair. By the time I got to the other island, I was unconscious and had to be carried off the boat. An hour later Andrew was brought to the same hospital. It was an absolute nightmare."

The three tour operators which sell holidays to the resort said they were carrying out an inquiry. The hotel management has brought in health officials to investigate.

http://www.meeru.com/

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I have been to Meeru and it is not listed as a luxury resort.  So I don't know which operator they booked with, we went with Airtours, there were 10 of us and we had a great time.  We had the beach villas at no extra cost and the food is what you would expect from a resort of this type, buffet style.  We paid less than if I can remember £900 which didn't include diving we paid for that locally.  

Don't be put off by this report, I would go again, but unlike last time I probably wouldn't try and snorkel right around the island without a full wetsuit - I got very burned legs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts