YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Now we all know that dive gear is expensive stuff, but sometimes the technical content justifies the mortgage-sized cost.  However I bet we can all list a load of stuff that simply falls into "rip-off" category.

My first nomination comes from yesterday when I found a wrist slate (made by monkeys from pieces of 4" pipe and some lengths of bungee) with a big brand-name sticker on it for over £25!!!  I nearly died from shock.

What are your nominations for unjustified prices?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Anything with Halcyon stamped on it!

:lol2:

Seriously, I often find it's the small things that (proportionally) are the worse culprits - things like surgical tubing, bungee, o-rings, octo holders all of which are worth only pence but can be sold for anything upto £10!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Dive gear expensive in the UK? You're spoilt! Prices are MUCH higher here in Sweden. The same Underwater Kinetics torch or Mares computer costs about double, which is why most of my kit was bought in the UK. The only place I've found that can compete with the UK as regards prices for diving equipment is Florida (California and the other US states are much more expensive).

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

:soapbox:I WILL SHOUT THIS ONE, GOD-#### REG SERVICING IS THE BIGGEST RIP-OFF KNOWN TO MAN, EXCEPT MAYBE BK WHOPPERS. I DO NOT SEE HOW THE BASTARDS CAN JUSTIFY THE PRICES. I HAVE JUST BEEN CHARGED £72 FOR 1 FIRST STAGE AND 1 SECOND STAGE AND IT TOOK 8 FRIGGIN' WEEKS TO GET BACK TO ME. BASTARDS, HMMMPHH

ONE SERIOUSLY PISSED OFF PETER K

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I SENT THEM INTO FAT SAMS DIVESHOP, CLARKSTON ROAD, GLASGOW. HE IN TURN SENT THEM TO THE ISLE OF BLOODY MAN, DON'T ASK WHY. THE GUY IN FAT SAMS IS THE WORLDS BIGGEST WAN8ER. SORRY TO MOAN BUT IT IS ONLY TODAY I HAVE PAID THIS. WHEN I ORIGINALLY TOOK THEM INTO THE SHOP I WAS TOLD £50 AND ONE WEEK. LYING CUMT.
Remember people FAT SAMS DIVESHOP, CLARKSTON RD, GLASGOW.

Peter

Peter  

·
Registered
104 Posts
Imported post

Peter, so you don't like Fat Sam's then.:biggrin:  I know the shop well, as I live not that far away from it. It would be handy for air if he had a compressor. But if you leave your tanks with him, he will get them filled for you.  I find the guy OK to deal with.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Imported post

four years ago went to the Maldives for a fortninght for £850...dived everyday...fantastic...now yer can't get there without selling a kidney...BAR STEWARDS...in 20 years time it won't be there anyway...so come on let us go whike we can

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lou,
Sore point this, rip-offs will continue while they can, you charge as much as the people will pay, until such time as there really is an alternative. The way the industry deals with the public is ineffecient and the customer must pay for it.  Farmers have buying co-op's, small independant traders have them, wholesalers have them, it makes economic sense for them, so the sooner we agree amongst ourselves for a dive club buying co-op the better. Though I have made this statement on forums a number of times.  When you guestimate that just new members alone in an organisation like SSAC's are spending not less £250,000 annualy on equipment then add BSAC and SAA and a combined buying co-op would easily displace all the major distributors as the central purchaser. Organising a members buying co-op is fundamental self-help for social non profit making groups. As a secondary benefit access to cheaper gear through a co-op would encourage membership.
I have heard the talk about where would we get a fill or the advice or personal service, Don't they know plenty of clubs have compressors, they bought them with grant money too.  I won't say anything about bad advice and rotten service.  Bat& balaclava closed this time last year shortly after a simular discussion. I hear some lost deposite money on orders and air cards.
I don't suppose there are enough Weegies to discuss Fat Sam, but with Peter's advice I won't take my regs there.  
Work it out, if a wholesaler marks up 15%-33.3% and the retailer marks up 20%-40% and you add the increases in VAT we must be paying on average 60% or more than the manufacturer sells it for.  It may reduce stores to one national or a few regional centres.  As a nation we often put cost before convenience for suitable cost reductions and often travel further or order goods delivered.

(Edited by budgy at 12:12 am on Jan. 10, 2003)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Imported post

Peter, im not 100% certain but i think maybe you're suggesting that fat sam isnt your kind of guy? Thats a real shame. I have undertaken all my training with this gentleman and have found him to be totally professional in his attitude and approach to our sport. I would happily entrust my family to his care if they chose to train to become scuba divers.I think this means in short i disagree with your opinion of this guy. You will note i havent had to resort to the use of profanity to express my opinion!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Imported post

Quote: from peter k on 4:42 pm on Jan. 9, 2003
I SENT THEM INTO FAT SAMS DIVESHOP, CLARKSTON ROAD, GLASGOW. HE IN TURN SENT THEM TO THE ISLE OF BLOODY MAN, DON'T ASK WHY.

You were told that we were going to send it to the Isle Of Man before we accepted your reg for service, you were also told why, because we have never had to return a reg for 'tuning', coz I know that annoys people.

THE GUY IN FAT SAMS IS THE WORLDS BIGGEST WAN8ER.

Your opinion, which you are entitled to.

SORRY TO MOAN BUT IT IS ONLY TODAY I HAVE PAID THIS.

Who did you pay because we are yet to receive payment, or the reg we lent you FOC when yours was being serviced?

WHEN I ORIGINALLY TOOK THEM INTO THE SHOP I WAS TOLD £50 AND ONE WEEK.

You were told that services normally cost around £50, it’s called a estimate, as I am sure most people realise it is hard to give a price before the reg has been opened up and we discover what needs fixing, if anything, as it turned out you only needed a standard service, and a new mouthpiece. You were not told one week, we did say that we would turn it around as quick as we could. Oh you forgot to mention that I did not add postage.  It also seems to have slipped your mind that it was us that drew your attention to the fact that the reg you are using was a mismatch and is not rated for cold-water use, but that’s ok.

LYING CUMT.

Your opinion

If you buy a reg that has an expensive service kit it is hardly my fault, the service kit cost £29.94 RRP from Aqualung, mouthpiece £5.99 again RRP. The service labour charge was £36.43, tomorrow my car is going for a service, it takes no more than 30 minutes, oil change, etc, they charge me £90 for labour, that’s a rip off

Remember people FAT SAMS DIVESHOP, CLARKSTON RD, GLASGOW.

Please do folks, I have been teaching divers for years and try to offer a good service

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Can I please suggest that you both remain members of this forum, yet take your ruck else where and between yourselves?

We look forward to reading your future diving postings.

Regards all and dive safe.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Well said Bren.  YD is not the place to air personal grievances.  lets keep things pleasant.  

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Sam Perkins on 11:25 pm on Jan. 9, 2003
If you buy a reg that has an expensive service kit it is hardly my fault, the service kit cost £29.94 RRP from Aqualung
<span =''>Now you know why I love my Oceanic so much....

Alliance Service Agreement - I never have to pay for service kits! Last full service of 1 1st stage & 2 2nd's & console cost £30 at FYM and they even took the time to (de-)tune the reg to my requirements before I took it away.....

THAT'S service.

Futher rip-offs - cost of petrol to get to the dive site.... Glad I use Autogas ;)

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I'm there with Drifty (or should that be Thrifty) as far as Oceanics are concerned, one of the reasons I bought them is because of the 'free' service kits, well worth having, they also breath nice work in cold water when they're not supposed to and generally are OK.
I think that the ruck between Peter and Sam has been a good thing, we now have both sides of the story, there's always 2 isnt there, but agree no-more as it should be a private matter now.
How aboy £400 to service a motor bike every 6000 miles, thats the rock bottom price, if it needs anything like tyre, pads or a chain that'll be extra Sir. OUUUUUCCCCHHHH!
I reckon the AOW course is pretty fair, a nice guided bunch of dives for less than the price of a bunch of guided dives.
How about £21 for a couple of fin straps - Mares, seemed a bit pricey to me, not blaming the shop though.
Or I suppose we could all moan about STONEY entance fee. But the Beers cheap by Southern standards anyway.
Matt

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Theres already been a mention of the Advanced Open Water Course the price of which "may" be an injustice.

O.K.Then what would we consider a fair price for it and why?
The instructors got to make a buck!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts