1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Have a swatch at this little lot:

http://www.bikiniatoll.com/divetour.html

Mark my words, sometime in the next two or three years, I am going to dive this site. May even tag Truk (Chuk) Lagoon on the end also.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

If you've got a video that plays NTSC, I've got a tape that might very well interest you Bren...
If anyone out there can convert NTSC tapes to PAL, please give me a shout.  Fantastic footage, but it'll only play on 'septic aware' VCRs    

·
Registered
63 Posts
Imported post

Damned straight!
I can't put into words just how much I want to dive this place, but I shall try:  A LOT.  Hardly an emotive statement, but I hope you get the idea!!

Seriously though, it really is my diving dream to "do" the place for a good week or so and I hope I can get the cash together in the not-too-distant future.  Wasn't it something in the region of about £4000 for the week?

There is one thing that troubles me though, that being the whole deep air issue (55m?), but I guess it must be OK as they're operation seems v. professional.  Also I guess that the warm water and pretty good vis must make it more tolerable than the equivalent depth in the UK.

Definitely a "must do" though Bren ...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Imported post

Bren, do you or any of the others happen to have a good link that shows all about Truk lagoon and it's many diving delights per chance?

By the way, I AM going to Bikini in 2005 no matter what happens.!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Mar. 09 2003,21:41)]If you've got a video that plays NTSC, I've got a tape that might very well interest you Bren...
If anyone out there can convert NTSC tapes to PAL, please give me a shout.  Fantastic footage, but it'll only play on 'septic aware' VCRs    
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the offer mate - Fiona (that's mine, not Gav's) runs all things 'Home Entertainment' in our gaff, so let me run it passed her and see what the script is and let ya know.

Cheers again mate. I'd seriously like to have a swatch at that vid.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ralphy @ Mar. 13 2003,16:24)]Bren, do you or any of the others happen to have a good link that shows all about Truk lagoon and it's many diving delights per chance?

By the way, I AM going to Bikini in 2005 no matter what happens.!
Err...Ralphy mate,

I'll dig out some quality URLs for Truk (Chuk) Lagoon for ya, no sweat.

Now regarding this gig to Bikini Atoll, what details have you got squared away at the moment? Care to share? As that date would fit in simply wonderfully with my plans mate.

Who are you using? Scuba Safaris?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Imported post

Hey Bren,
sorry I didn't reply to this sooner, but I hadn't noticed there was another reply on the end of the message stream!!

As yet I have nothing specific planned with any operator and have only pure determination to go there as my driving force.  If you have good info and exact details on cost and good dates to go etc, then I will make a concerted effort to preparing myself to get there.  In short, there is nothing I want to do more in the world right now than get to dive Bikini Atoll, so I will be taking whatever steps I can (most notably saving the requisite million pounds) to do it in '05.  MUST do it soon - young free, single etc & no partner/child to explain the exorbitant costs to!!

Additionally , after trawling through the type of diving and the recommended levels of training & experience, I'll be building my diving experience, having at least a year's use of a twinset behind me and training to "Deco procedures" level.  That should be me well sorted!!

Tell you what though, I know naff-all about videography and I would really want to make damned sure that I had a quality, permanent record of the trip!

Whatever you find out mate, pleeeeeeease let me know as I'm starting to save now.

As for the Truk info - bring it on!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ralphy @ Mar. 11 2003,12:37)]There is one thing that troubles me though, that being the whole deep air issue (55m?).
Deep air and twin 13l steel tanks with a wetsuit. I guess you could take a dry suit but I'm sure we all know how unpleasant that can be in warm water (pool - sweat - yuk).

Their equipment recommendations are interesting

·
Registered
63 Posts
Imported post

I thought the same thing Mark - what exactly is your take on it all?  

It seems to defy a few modern diving conventions (notably the "no air below 40m"), but the fact they have operated so successfully leads me to believe that they are doing something right?  No pun intended by the way.

I'd be really interested to know what you thought about it, especially if you consider it to be a sort of "just because nothing bad has happened so far, doesn't mean that it won't" situation?  I've never dived that deep before (37m max was in Thailand a while back) and I've never done a deco dive either.  At least not a dive that required more than a 5-10 min safety stop so its all pretty new to me.

You are an exponent of the DIR method are you not?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Basically, their current procedures would be pretty much entirely contrary to what I have just been taught on my GUE Tech 1 course.

I would like to go sometime but I don't have a problem waiting until they are DIR friendly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts