YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had the experience of using a Billabong 3mm or 3/2 fullsuit to dive?

Shall I buy it or not? read some people say surfing wetsuit are not meant to be for underwater, as the neoprene are different and apparently will be squashed. But if that's just a 3mm or 3/2? will that make much difference?

I'm off to Red Sea next week and will do some 25-40m dives, water temperature apparently is 22c today.
Planning to add a 5mm diving shorty outside as a monopiece to the Billabong.

Want to know what are your thoughts on this set of combination.

Or any other suggestions also welcome.

Cheers

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
I use a 2mm bodyglove shorty for warm waters, it is not a 'diving' suit but it does the job perfectly.... don't believe the hype.....

·
Can one flounce in a drysuit??
199 Posts
I wore my Gul 5/4/3 plus borrowed 5mm shorty in the Black Sea at 21c which worked a treat. Have worn the same in the UK too, but when on holiday abroad I prefer it to be a little less 'bracing'! ;)

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
If you are warm enough, why not? I've never called a dive because I was too hot!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've got a Billabong wetsuit, which I've had for many years, and is an very nicely made piece of kit. I use it for surfing, along with a rash vest, and it's great for that. One of the main reasons it's so good is that it fits me perfectly, so when I take it off, my rash vest is pretty much bone dry. Also it's a 5-4-3. I use it all year round, and I've never been too warm in UK waters!

I took it to the Red Sea in February a few years ago, and it was okay, although I was starting to get a little chilly towards the end of the week. Nothing major, but I wouldn't have wanted anything less.

If, like me, you don't have much natural insulation and therefore feel the cold, I'd definitely recommend you go for a 5mm suit - especially considering you live in the UK, so if ever you wanted to try some other watersport, you'll need a decent warm suit. That said, some of the more ample-bosomed blokes in our club were perfectly happy wearing 3mm shorties on that Red Sea trip.

Whatever you buy - make sure it fits you tightly all over, especially the arms, legs and neck area. If your suit is allowing a lot of cold water to flush through, it's not going to be keeping you warm.

·
hates the wind
889 Posts
If you are warm enough, why not? I've never called a dive because I was too hot!
I have very nearly pulled the neck seal on a drysuit open to cool down. Too many layers and too much hard work made me a bit too warm for my liking

To the OP, i have used a Rip Curl 3/2 several times and it is fine as long as the water is warm enough. Fits me better than many diving suits. As always, good fit is everything!

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
I did..trying a full face mask in a very warm pool, I was sweating and getting really annoyed by the fact that when I tried to wipe my brow all I did was wipe plastic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I always use surfing wetsuits for diving abroad. IMO they are far better quality and way more comfortable than diving suits plus they look a million times better!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts