YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Did anyone get the Blaster virus? The below news report (courtesy of Computer Shopper) indicates that the perpetrator has been caught.

More details emerge on Blaster worm suspect
[Computer Buyer] 13:16

Further details have emerged about the suspected author of a Blaster worm variant, who was arrested at the end of last week.
The eighteen year old involved is one Jeffrey Lee Parson from Minneapolis, Minnesota. Apparently working under an online identity of 'Teekid', the teenager is charged with intentionally causing damage to a computer. If convicted, the maximum sentence would be 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

According to Reuters, his next court hearing will be in Seattle, 17 September, following a complaint being originally filed in Washington state.

As well as working to identify the people behind the Blaster worm, the FBI is targeting the Sobig virus. 'Protecting the nation's cyber infrastructure is a top priority for the FBI,' said FBI Director Robert Mueller, 'and we are working with the Department of Homeland Security and with state and local law enforcement on our Cyber Task Forces to track down the perpetrators of Sobig and the recent Blaster worm. We employ the latest technology and code analysis to direct us to potential sources, and I am confident that we will find the culprits.'

Following the arrest, Microsoft has issued a statement thanking the FBI and US Secret Service for their investigations of the case. 'The arrest announced today demonstrates how important it is for governments and the private sector to work closely together to protect the global IT infrastructure,' says Microsoft's official declaration.

'We also recognize that protecting computers requires more than just cooperation with law enforcement, but truly a partnership between us and our customers,' the statement went on. 'We are committed now more than ever to building more secure software that is resilient to attack while preserving the rich computing experience that our customers expect.'

The virus exploited an RPC (remote procedure call) vulnerability in Windows, for which a patch has been issued.

To be precise, reports suggest that the man in question is the author of Blaster-B, a more powerful variant of the original Blaster worm.

Alun Williams

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

It wiped out my Company's computer network/system for near on two weeks. We employ many thousands of people I dread to think what it cost us.

Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I have my own idea of how these people should be treated for writing and spreading these things.  It involves a corkscrew, electric sander, 2 x bricks, 1 pint of boiling water, a small chainsaw, a red hot poker and 4ft of rope.

But some people would still consider it a tad lenient.

Daz

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Sep. 02 2003,13:52)]I have my own idea of how these people should be treated for writing and spreading these things.  It involves a corkscrew, electric sander, 2 x bricks, 1 pint of boiling water, a small chainsaw, a red hot poker and 4ft of rope.

But some people would still consider it a tad lenient.

Daz
I was following you all the way to the 4 foot of rope?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heads Up @ Sep. 02 2003,15:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Sep. 02 2003,14:40)]I was following you all the way to the 4 foot of rope?
Its just that Daz is a small bloke you see ...

But large feet,  make of that what you will  

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Sep. 02 2003,17:34)]But large feet,  make of that what you will  
you need big shoes?

Tom

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Heads Up @ Sep. 02 2003,14:00)]But lets face it, if Bill Gates did a proper job and tested his software in-house instead of beta testing it with the general public there'd be fewer problems anyway. Now where did I put those Linux disks?
What, and Linux never needs patching?

Linux is no less being beta tested in the field, perhaps even more so. The major advantage with it is that the source code is available, and thus devs are able to write the fixes themselves, and add them to the core. This means that there are potentailly many more coders at work on it that Microsoft could ever afford. Of course the management of final code needs more discipline to check quality etc.

Adrian

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Well I guess it beats the PADI vs BSAC..

Microsoft vs Linux/Unix....

For the record my stake is firmly in the Unix ground

Daz

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Sep. 02 2003,13:52)]I have my own idea of how these people should be treated for writing and spreading these things.  It involves a corkscrew, electric sander, 2 x bricks, 1 pint of boiling water, a small chainsaw, a red hot poker and 4ft of rope.
Daz, sounds like an old pre-PACE interview technique!

(Police joke.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts