YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following yesterday evenings dives, I now seem to be deaf in my left ear and it was OK to start with thismorning but now its really annoying me as I cant hear anyone anything says to me!

I sat at the dinner table tonight and had to just switch off because I was getting sick of saying "sorry?" "pardon?" "you're going to have to speak up love" I feel like Im 72 not 22!

Whether Ive just got water in it or if Im getting ill or what I dont know but has anyone got any tips on being able to hear again? and jumping up and down 20 million times with my head on a slant hasnt worked, nor had popping my ears because it just wont pop. I looked a right idiot sat in the pub holding my nose and blowing like I needed a poo!

Aimz xx :frown:

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Bit of a silly suggestion but I had that in one ear the other week (after a shower so guess it might be water trapped in it somehow???)

and I noticed that although I couldn't 'pop' the ear, when I stamped I could feel it bulging... I stamped harder and it did it more. So then I did it really hard and it 'popped and all was good in the world again :D

told you it was silly! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh i didnt really fancy running to the GP to waste their time just yet...ill get the olive oil on it...they told me to do that last time but it had little effect but worth a try again i spose...I even bough olive oil from the pharmacy...Last time i had this trouble they ended up cleaning my ears out with what seemed to resemble some sort of roadside digger cross power washer...didnt like that so trying to avoid it!

Ax

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
yeh i didnt really fancy running to the GP to waste their time just yet...ill get the olive oil on it...they told me to do that last time but it had little effect but worth a try again i spose...I even bough olive oil from the pharmacy...Last time i had this trouble they ended up cleaning my ears out with what seemed to resemble some sort of roadside digger cross power washer...didnt like that so trying to avoid it!

Ax
oo good old syringing !yes very nice ! had that a few times! very embarresing what comes out lol!!!

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
I was going to suggest a big stick and just poke around a bit but all the other suggestions seem much more sensible :embarassed:

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
You could have impacted a bit of wax in there; sounds like the GP syringed your ears. You can buy DIY ear syringes from the chemist. I used to go for a syringing at the Drs every 12 months or so, but since I bought the DIY thingo, I've not had to bother, and I'm saving $30 for a trip to the Drs each time I DIY.

The other possibility is that you've stretched your eardrum on the descent, I did that once and got a bleed across the eardrum, which formed a scab on there; took about a week to clear up but this was very painful and I think you'd know if you'd done that.

I'd give it a few days, maybe try the DIY ear syringe and if that's no good and it doesn't improve, go to your GP.

As for olive oil from the chemist - it's exactly the same as the stuff you buy for cooking, only difference is that you pay pharmacy rather than Tesco price for it.

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
I am no doctor but having had a number of ear issues then I would recommend a trip to the docs to let him have a look. The feeling of water in the outer ear is rarely that in my experience. Normally it's wax or a water wax / combination in the outer ear or a fluid build up in the middle ear, normally caused by poor equalising which can often lead to an infection. These are not nice so best get yourself to the doc today, Amy.

If it is wax they can help you clear it.

HTH
Mal

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I get that.
Ears get waxy and the water won't come out and, of course, at the bottom of a hole it doesn't evaporate.
Once scuba has set it off even the shower resets it.
I used to be able to keep it under control with the stuff you get from the chemist but have resorted to a 'self flush' with a big syringe and hot water and that clears it 12 months plus.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Mal, that's a shocking avatar. Once the shock values worn off, perhaps you could change it for something more acceptable, like a picture of a vasectomy operation or something.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
i had the same thing a couple of months ago i went to the chemist and got some Otex ear drops, you need to ask the pharmacist for them, then couple of drop loads of snap crackle and pop and all of a sudden hearing back ok. I now use swim ear after diving to help dry my ears as well.

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
Mal, that's a shocking avatar. Once the shock values worn off, perhaps you could change it for something more acceptable, like a picture of a vasectomy operation or something.
Thanks Richard .... not my doing I am afraid ..... but Mr Summers is off to Scapa soon .... Mwahhahaahahahah ;)

Mal

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Again: warm olive oil. repeat morning and night for 7 days. This is recommended by doctors and nurses.

do not be tempted to put anything in your ear to remove any wax.

Be aware that if you have them syringed you won't be able to dive for a couple of weeks after - thats what I was told once by the doc.

take Mals advice - if the pain persists, then see a doc - as inner ear infections are not nice.

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Be aware that if you have them syringed you won't be able to dive for a couple of weeks after - thats what I was told once by the doc.
When I had mine done in the Maldives, the German doctor told me I couldn't dive for 2 days, not a couple of weeks. Naturally I considered the day it was done as the day one :D

A lump the size of a peanut came out when they did it. Poking things in your ears will just make it worse as you'll compact the wax up even more.

Jason

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
When I had mine done in the Maldives, the German doctor told me I couldn't dive for 2 days, not a couple of weeks. Naturally I considered the day it was done as the day one :D

A lump the size of a peanut came out when they did it. Poking things in your ears will just make it worse as you'll compact the wax up even more.

Jason
ah.. the 2 weeks might have had something to do with the inflamed lining of my ear canal from me shoving ear buds down it (and further impacting the wax). :(

Kids - Don't do this at home - ear buds and ears are not a good combination.. ( but it feels sooooooo nice... )

·
‘Wind it slowly, wind it fast.....
221 Posts
I had the same kinda problem earlier this week - went for a dive snuday, couldn't equalise and had bl()()dy awful pain and had to quit the dive. It hurt quite badly for a good 20 mins after.

Put olive oil in that night, plus took some pain killers - next day although it wasn't too painful, the blocked up can't hear feeling is sooooo annoying!! i didn't try and do anything and eventually it stopped that evening!

I'd probably say olive oil, don't poke around or force squeezing your ears, as this can sometimes cause more harm than good (if you blow to hard). If you don't feel it is getting any better, then i'd book to see the doc and get them to check for ear wax as others have suggested.

Rachael

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.