YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mum's toilet appears to be blocked somewhere between the U bend and the .......... thing under the manhole cover ........... cistern?

Anyway, can you get rods to cope with those sort of bends or is it best to use a big plunger ................. I want to avoid her having to pay the cost of a plumber coming out ................. if I can.

I've no idea what has caused the blockage although I suspect my Dad (has dementia) may have been trying to flush plastic wrappers away ......... we try to stop him (all biscuits are now put in the biscuit barrel 'sans' wrappers etc).

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts
My Mum's toilet appears to be blocked somewhere between the U bend and the .......... thing under the manhole cover ........... cistern?

Anyway, can you get rods to cope with those sort of bends or is it best to use a big plunger ................. I want to avoid her having to pay the cost of a plumber coming out ................. if I can.

I've no idea what has caused the blockage although I suspect my Dad (has dementia) may have been trying to flush plastic wrappers away ......... we try to stop him (all biscuits are now put in the biscuit barrel 'sans' wrappers etc).
Try Louise :D

ColinM

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
a plunger in the toilet should do it although it may be in the drain itself, so lift the manhole cover and if you have standing water rod either way with 3 rods and a rubber drain disk until it clears. If there is no standing water flush and check to see if the water is flowing, start with your closest cover and work away from it.

Our council don't charge for rodding if it's a shared drain.

I speak from experience of kids assuming most household items will flush ;)

Safe diving,
Steve

Reactions: Finless

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
From personal experience:-

Start with the plunger.

Then use the big coil of flexible rod like a spring (buy at B&Q's or other DIY) - but be warned you can scratch the enamel off the bowl(expensive mistake)

Also could try rodding / raking from the interceptor end (under the inspection cover that the toilet empties into) - but be warned if it clears suddenly you may forget what the primary objective was (oh and make sure your tetanus is up to date).

Alternatively get a plumber in - pay someone else to sort your sh1*

Cheers, Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts