YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. On a whim a few months ago I attended the DiverSE conference in Guildford, and this tip was worth the entrance fee for me and missus Janos alone:

One of the speakers ran an expedition to the St. Laurence River in Canada. Which is f'in freezing. Amongst various tips for keeping warm on a dive, he recommended gauntlets. And they work.

The theory is that the hands are the only part of the human body which are designed to work when cold. To help them do this, there's a sort of heat exchanger going on. The arteries that go to the hands pass very close to the veins that carry blood away from the hands. They pass very close to the skin in the wrist. This is convenient for sportsmen who want ot cool down quickly (by running cold water over this area) and depressed goths who want to end it all.

Now. By keeping this wrist area warm, you can dramatically improve the warmth of your hands. Hence by wearing gauntlets - basically six inches from the legs or arms of a cut-down old neoprene wetsuit - over your forearms you can keep your hands warm. I used the legs from one of Missus Janos's old suits and she is using the arms.

I have tested this for around a month now and I believe it works. Last weekend I forgot to put my guantlets on, and I noticed my hands were colder and only worked out why after the dive.

Mr. Woz has also tried them and reckons they are bloody brilliant too.

So - for warm hands - insulate your forearms with a neoprene sleeve that goes under all your undersuits.

Thanks once again to the chap from DiverSE (I can't remember his name) who suggested this. It really does work.

Janos

·
"Look mate, the problem's between the user and the
2,711 Posts
There used to be a company that made neoprene seal covers that went over your wrist seals (after you had donned the seals).. the same logic... blood flow close to skin, and only got a thin piece of latex over it.... I know some people that swear by this....

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
that might also explain why my fingerless gloves still keep my hands warm :)

·
"Look mate, the problem's between the user and the
2,711 Posts
nope but my O3 is bloody loverly!!!!!!!

and its abit like a combo wetsuit (fit, feel, flexibility) and a drysuit (erm it's dry).....

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
i was pondering the other day what it would be like to wear a whole wetsuit under a drysuit. anyone ever given that a bash?
I read somewhere that someone did exactly that. IIRC it was using a 2mm wetsuit, under a membrane suit, in Lake Malawi. I can't recall the curcumstances behind why though, I will have to do a little bit of digging.
The only reason I can think of it not being a great idea, is you do tend to get a bit hot and sweaty in a wetsuit when it isn't wet.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Got a Gul thinsulate that has a neoprene wrist and neck seal.

Think they are the only manufactuer I know of that has it.

·
"Are we human, or are we diver?"
1,329 Posts
Neoprene "wrist supports" can be purchased from The Pound Shop for, er, a pound.

The neoprene ankle supports they sell are good too. We take a pair of those & Mares Avantitre full foot fins when we go abroad 'cos they're lighter than strap fins & wetsuit boots.

Reactions: Bog Snorkeller

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
I'm going to try this. We dived the Glen Strath last night and I had to come up after 30 mins because my hands were so cold I couldn't feel anything. Computer said it was 9 degrees, too, which is the warmest it's been so far :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks once again to the chap from DiverSE (I can't remember his name) who suggested this. It really does work.

Janos
You are welcome. I didn't have time to go into it in my talk, but you can also put a neoprene sleeve over the outside of your drysuit as an alternative - it is not quite as effective, but some people may find it more comfortable. With a bit of ingenuity, you can attach your computer/dive timer to the outer gauntlet as well, so you are much less likely to forget to put them on!

Jim

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Warm hand are a special concern of mine as I have damaged fingers on my R/H with a reduced blood supply that makes them vulnerable to the cold.

I have tried dry gloves and chemical hand warmers etc. in the gloves, all with limited success.

My previous membrane drysuits had latex wrist seals, however the Otter Brittanic that I have used for the last three years is the first drysuit I have had with neoprene wrist seals (got it as someone mentioned this would help), and I have found my hands stay much warmer for longer, even in the conditions this winter at inland sites, especially with three finger mitts on.

The seals are about 5mm and the gloves go over them giving another 3-5mm, so for me the theory works very well.

Would like to hear more if possible about the theory, or other ideas to keep the pinky's warm. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, from the DiverSE speaker's comments the idea is obviously to wear the gauntlets UNDER the drysuit...(as he mentions it is also possible over it), I may be being dense but can somebody please expain how you'd actually wear them? i.e. under undersuit or on top? Don't they ride up when pushing arms into drysuit sleeves? How do you get the latex seals to seal, I guess you have to leave a bit of bare skin for that near your hands?
Sounds a great idea in principle (my hands always get colder than my head in cool water!) so I'd like to try it if I know exactly how to!!
Cheers, Lindsey

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Yup i'm gonna try this, but i dont think i will need to label mine left and right so i know which hand is which like Janos ;)

I know left is the side with the crowbar and right is the side with the lump hammer :D

·
One Team One Dream
3,388 Posts
i was pondering the other day what it would be like to wear a whole wetsuit under a drysuit. anyone ever given that a bash?
yeh years ago i had an old dry suit that the zip leaked so i wore my semi dry under it some times in the winter and felt very warm but wet at the same time in a dry suit if that makes sence

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, from the DiverSE speaker's comments the idea is obviously to wear the gauntlets UNDER the drysuit...(as he mentions it is also possible over it), I may be being dense but can somebody please expain how you'd actually wear them? i.e. under undersuit or on top? Don't they ride up when pushing arms into drysuit sleeves? How do you get the latex seals to seal, I guess you have to leave a bit of bare skin for that near your hands?
Sounds a great idea in principle (my hands always get colder than my head in cool water!) so I'd like to try it if I know exactly how to!!
Cheers, Lindsey
I have a Fancy Baselayer and I wear them over this, but under my main undersuit.

You're right - you need to have them far enough back to allow your seals to seal.

Janos

1 - 17 of 17 Posts