YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of I am not a smoker
RANT mode on :angry:
I agree with the ban on smoking but firms should be made by law to provide somewhere for workers to smoke ,Not outside the factory concerned leaving dogends all over the pavement along with their drink cups ! :angry: The firm concerned don't want to know " oh well thats not on our property so we have no control over it & how do you know it's our workers ? " Well when they have been observed walking out of the factory with high viz yellow jackets on with the company name emblazened front & back it is a little damned obvious :angry:
Rant mode off :frown:

Sorry but just had enough feel free to ignore .& this is not having a go at smokers ,its at firms who it seems dont care about their public imagine .

·
bleedingheartliberalpcgon emadtreehuggingdogooder
1,135 Posts
Surely it's not the firms fault that it's workers are lazy slobs who'd rather throw their rubbish on the floor than take it inside and dispose of it properly?

I agree with the ban on smoking but firms should be made by law to provide somewhere for workers to smoke ,Not outside the factory concerned leaving dogends all over the pavement along with their drink cups ! :angry: The firm concerned don't want to know " oh well thats not on our property so we have no control over it & how do you know it's our workers ? " Well when they have been observed walking out of the factory with high viz yellow jackets on with the company name emblazened front & back it is a little damned obvious :angry:

Sorry but just had enough feel free to ignore .& this is not having a go at smokers ,its at firms who it seems dont care about their public imagine .

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
This has to be one of the muckiest countries. People don't think twice about dropping litter, and cigarette butts are litter.

It isn't the firms responsibility to provide an area for smokers, but if they have a building where people are smoking outside, then they ought to be shamed into providing somewhere for smokers to put their rubbish.

There simply aren't enough litter bins anywhere. Have you ever tried getting rid of a chocolate wrapper at Paddington Station?

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
There simply aren't enough litter bins anywhere. Have you ever tried getting rid of a chocolate wrapper at Paddington Station?
Isn't this something to do with litter bins being a security risk? All the bins in Plymouth city centre are see-through now, although quite how that'd stop someone dropping in a bomb hidden in a carrier bag is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Actually I think firms should do as we have done and ban smokers from indulging their habit anywhere on the firms property. No more smokers sliding off for 10 mins every hour and having to walk through a cloud of foul fumes outsside every doorway :shade:

Hurrah

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Blame Gerry Adams for that one :teeth:

Snash
Well, yes, that used to be the case, but then they invented those clear plastic bags that go into a frame which is basically a lid on a stand. Shame more use isn't made of them (inside stations etc, of course... modifications would have to be made to prevent a fire hazard if it was outside ;))

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
You know the one that hacks me off - if and when we get a nice summer, all of the smokers will be outside the pubs in the beer gardens, instead of inside where they used to be, so the non smokers will have to go inside to get away from it.

But you are right, my firm provides ashtrays away from the main door(s) the smokers use anything but (excuse the pun) and congregate around the motorbikes (which is sensible - not) so when its going home time I have to tread through a heep of dog ends and suffer the smokers who are working a bit later than me smoking near my bike and polluting the local air (it still stinks even if they are 10 feet away as it drifts across), I wonder if they are staying late to catch up on the *** breaks?

Not well thought through at all.

Matt

·
Registered
496 Posts
Take a photo of them complete with company logo on their jackets and send it to the company.

As for the littering, I'm in Wales and every other bus and billboard here has an advert reminding you that it's a £75 on the spot fine for dropping cigarette ends. They also advertise these little heat resistant pouches that you can put cigarettes out into, to dispose of later.

And I still see people doing it.... It's sheer laziness and very annoying.

We go camping with the uni dive club for a week and all cigarette ends go in a bucket of sand outside the beer tent. When we leave the campsite at the end of the week we do a total fingertip search of the field removing all rubbish including cigarette ends and find remarkably few because people have made the tiny bit of effort required to dispose of them properly.

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It isn't the firms responsibility to provide an area for smokers, but if they have a building where people are smoking outside, then they ought to be shamed into providing somewhere for smokers to put their rubbish.
I agree with you in one sense but a lot of firms including the one I,m talking about used to have a designated smoking room/area in the building .

·
bleedingheartliberalpcgon emadtreehuggingdogooder
1,135 Posts
[facetious mode on] Fold it up & put it in a pocket? [facetious mode off]

I know what you mean though. Problem is people are too lazy and don't care enough about their environment to make that extra little effort. If you're on a train station and there's no bin - hold on too the rubbish until you get on the train - they have bins.

I can't remember which station I was at, but I'd bought and drunk a cup of coffee - looking round for a bin and not finding one I asked a guy working at the station. He told me to drop the cup on the floor as someone was employed to clear up all the rubbish. I decided to hold on to it until the train came.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts

Colin,

Take a picture + advise the firm's management that you will be reporting the litter to the council who will def take action - esp if you get in quick whilst the anti smoking fervour is upon everybody. If they understand how it may impact on your business then maybe they will be a bit more sympathetic.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

I absolutely agree with you. This happens at the warehouse I work in too. Due to the high volume of flammable substances we hold smoking is not permitted anywhere on site - apparently we have a 5 mile evacuation radius in the event of a fire! Employees wishing to smoke must leave the site and we, as a company, have provided an ashtray and a dustbin but still there are plastic cups and *** butts everywhere. When I mentioned it to someone they said they agreed but there was nothing they could do as it off site :mad: I was thinking about asking a police officer friend to come and slapping the offenders with fixed penalty notices. It would sort the problem but I suspect they have better things to do with their time!

Cheers/Nic

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
[facetious mode on] Fold it up & put it in a pocket? [facetious mode off]

I know what you mean though. Problem is people are too lazy and don't care enough about their environment to make that extra little effort. If you're on a train station and there's no bin - hold on too the rubbish until you get on the train - they have bins.

I can't remember which station I was at, but I'd bought and drunk a cup of coffee - looking round for a bin and not finding one I asked a guy working at the station. He told me to drop the cup on the floor as someone was employed to clear up all the rubbish. I decided to hold on to it until the train came.
Many stations, if not all, do not have bins. When asked, a station employee told me this was to stop people hiding explosives in them! This was on Warick station in the mid-90's.

Cheers/Nic

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
First of I am not a smoker.
Neither am I.
I watched it kill my Grandfather. Gangrene. Horribly.
I watched it kill my Father. Emphysema. Slowly.
But it's a free country (well it used to be)
so anybody should have the right to smoke themselves to death in the privacy of their own fume-cupboard.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.