"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bloody UPS!

I buy something from the states.
I break it a little later.
I send it back.
They post it back to me.
For once, UPS manage to take fewer than five days to deliver it from East Midlands airport to my door and I get the item back.
Then UPS contact me about tax.
I scan in proof of posting (sending out)
I phone Customs & Revenue who confirm NO VAT or Tax is payable.
I post this to UPS.
I hear nothing.
A month later I get a letter from UPS demanding I send them various bits of paper.
I phone them.
After 30 minutes there is no answer so I hang up.
I phone again later
After 15 minutes someone answers.
They demand reference numbers.
I hunt through emails. I give them reference numbers.
They demand emails and statements in writing.
They interrupt me.
I hate being interrupted.
They ask me for more bits and bobs.
They put me on hold.
I hang up.

Now. I have the item in my possession; I haven’t paid any money to UPS or HMRC, nor do I think I have to. Should I either a) Just ignore UPS; b) Co-operate.

The last three or four times I've received stuff from the States UPS have f'ed it up. Has anyone ever had any good dealings with them, or ever successfully got some cash out of them?

Janos

·
Registered
966 Posts
My experience with UPS:
1. They lost my drysuit, found it in Norfolk or something about 2 weeks after it was due to be delivered.
2. Had many discussions with UPS - they can only deliver to the address listed or you have to leave a note on the door asking to leave it at a neighbours. A container of Sorb was delivered to someone 5 doors down (without permission) and no note put through my door... good fun playing hunt the sorb.

Personally would avoid using them at all costs!

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It always amazes me how it takes just a couple of days to get from the US or Canada to East Midlands Airport, then it takes five days to get to my house.

It happened with both the KISS and the Shearwater (twice).

Janos

·
Registered
966 Posts
See, to avoid all this, I just fly to US/Canada and pick it up myself :eek:)
My Shearwater HUD is going to be delivered to my instructor in the Dom Rep who'll take it back to Seattle with her. Then I'll pick it up from my instructor in Mexico - saves on shipping costs ;o) It'll be a well travelled HUD

·
Registered
91 Posts
It'll be a well travelled HUD
Last parcel I had came into East Midlands airport, got checked into European Union and VAT calculated, then according to their tracking record went off to Germany for a 2 day jaunt before coming back to East Midlands to be delivered to me.

Environmental impact anyone?

·
I like my login so much I put my name on it...
1,451 Posts
I got a parcel from the US, UPS then kindly contacted me several weeks later saying they'd forgot to charge me the ~£40 tax. So I ignored the letter, once I sign the piece of paper (assuming they hadn't broken my item) I consider the contract completed. I received several letters asking for money since, I ignore, they seem to have stopped now :)

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Janos,

I just use Air Canada, and let Parcel force sort it out. With parts I had to pay tax on, I just received am letter through the post, and paid on the phone with the ref numbers in the letter.

The last stuff I ordered came with no tax to pay as it was under 60 dollars.

Dave C

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just use Air Canada
How easy is it to use Air Canada? I'm not planning to order anything in the near future but what do you tell Jetsam? Or do you just send Air Canada round to pick it up?

I don't mind paying the tax. It hurts but someone has to. What I do object to is a) being told I don't have to by HMRC, then b) hanging on the phone to tell them stuff I've already told them.

Janos

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry not Air Canada, but their standard recorded delivery. Canada Post.

They use the national carrier in the destination country (or who ever they have an agreement with).
Is this for sending stuff from Canada to here?

Janos

·
Presenter - info on scuba diving dot com
536 Posts
I lost a load of documents I had been working on when the battery on my UPS for the computer died and I did not know.

Oh sorry - wrong UPS! ;)

Still what do you expect from a company that goes around in funny brown vans?

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Bloody UPS!

Now. I have the item in my possession; I haven’t paid any money to UPS or HMRC, nor do I think I have to. Should I either a) Just ignore UPS; b) Co-operate.

Janos
Aside all the posts of they are crap i lost this and the cat left home with the delivery man Bollo*ks

regardless of how many times they have screwed up in answer to your question

a. Don't just ignore them and think they will go away they wont they will just issue court papers which you will have to sort out and will cost between £100 and £300

b. give them a ring and put it all in writing and get it sent to the recorded don't forget to take copy's for your file if you can get letters or a fax from the customs that will help, this may be a pain in the arse but it is the best option for you

Graham

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers,

To be honest they don't know their arses from their elbows. I haven't paid them any money and now they are talking about sending me a refund.

All very confusing. We'll see what they say in the next few days.

Janos

·
Registered
431 Posts
They got a blood sample stuck in US customs for me once for over a month, which was for a very specific test only available in the US - having been given all the required stamped paperwork. Luckily this didn't affect the results of the test, but i was not especially impressed with having to ring the lab in the states to check. They did as i recall apologise, but the test was unrepeatable due to subsequent treatment the dog had had, so it was a good job it wasn't affected by the delay!

I would do the putting it in writing thing as its good if you have written records of stuff like this, then you can show you've made every reasonable effort.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I'm currently in Florida and have had two items delivered to my holiday villa by UPS both clearly labelled 'To be signed for'.

On each occasion this has been scribbled out and the item dumped on the doorstep:angry:

Oh, and in the local news there's a story about the UPS employees who systematically ripped off deliveries to a jewelers.

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
I use UPS *a lot* and never had a single issue with them.

They are used for the X-scooter deliveries and by Apple.com so one way or another I get stuff delivered by UPS every few weeks. Flawless service every time and they have never lost anything.

City Link on the other hand.... :angry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts