Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Email comes in with a Microsoft banner and the subject of

"Latest Net Critical Update" or "Microsoft Critical Update"

Body text is......

"Microsoft Client

this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to help protect your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an malicious user to run code on your computer. This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches.  

System requirements  Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
This update applies to  MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later  
Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.
How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog box.
How to use You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site. For security-related information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web site, or Contact Us.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The names of the actual companies and products mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.  

Contact Us  |  Legal  |  TRUSTe  
©2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use  |  Privacy Statement |  Accessibility  "

There is an attachment...

PATCH54.exe.

The attachment was infected with the Worm.Automat.AHB virus.

See the Symantec or NAI websites for details.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Driftwood and everybody else

Microsoft don't send patches etc by email. They don't have the email address for every copy of Windows.

If you get an email purporting to be from Microsoft, that is not a response to one you sent to them - bin it.

And get Anti-Virus software, and keep it up to date.

Adrian

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>phew.....I nearly fell for this microsoft one. I had to think twice before deleting it but couldn't figure out why microsoft has my e-mail, on doubt I deleted it. I'm so glad I did.
I have my antivirus up to date but wouldn't opening that attachment be too late anyway?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Guimaraens @ Sep. 24 2003,09:43)]phew.....I nearly fell for this microsoft one. I had to think twice before deleting it but couldn't figure out why microsoft has my e-mail, on doubt I deleted it. I'm so glad I did.
I have my antivirus up to date but wouldn't opening that attachment be too late anyway?
Chris

I'm lucky in that my ISP also runs antivirus s/w and stops the emails that are infected.

I suppose it depends what up to date means. I don't know how they keep up with variants on a theme. As to opening the attchment, you would probably have to run/open the file as well. I don't think Outlook automatically does this any more, but if you have an old version then Outlook becomes Lookout!

Glad to hear you deleted the message.

Now I must respond to this nice Nigerian chappie offering me some money  

Adrian

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now I must respond to this nice Nigerian chappie offering me some money  
The double dealing swine. I was assured that deal was just me and him. Such a nice bloke as well - feel really sorry about the death of his father's au pair's dog's cousin!!

Paul

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I suppose it depends what up to date means. I don't know how they keep up with variants on a theme.
For viruses that are prevalent "in the wild", it is usually within a few hours of the variants first being reported...

Go to McAfee Virus Information Library, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Subscribe to AVERT Virus news" to get e-mail notification of all the current "big nasties" that are doing the rounds. (This generates between 1 and maybe 10 d-mails per week, depending on the nasties that are released.)

...and yes, guess who I work for...

Regards
abucksdiver

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

In addition to what has already been said, I would like to point out that if you are using a Windows OS then Windows OS updates/patches are available by clicking on the Start button and selecting Windows Upgrade. This should be the case on all MS systems from Win 98 onwards (to the best of my knowledge - i.e. it is for W98, XP and XP Pro).

Any e mail warning/advising of anything (unless it is from a service you subscribe to) which requests you to take action by running an attachment is most likely to be advertising, spam or something designed to harm your system.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Beal @ Sep. 24 2003,10:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now I must respond to this nice Nigerian chappie offering me some money  
The double dealing swine. I was assured that deal was just me and him. Such a nice bloke as well - feel really sorry about the death of his father's au pair's dog's cousin!!

Paul
Never mind that! This character is actually wanting my home 'phone number. Now I'm sure I wrote Bren's down somewhere.

I am Mr ADDO KOFI MENSAH a Ghanian working as an auditor with one of
the international bank here in Ghana,I came to know your contact through
internet.
As An Auditor,Two years ago one of our customer by name ROBERT JAMES a
Canadian died in his home in canada,i was very closed to him because i
was the one managing his account,James deposited in our bank
eleven million USD(11 MILLION USD) in a coded account,he was a Diamond
Dealer,I have all the details.
Now the Next of Kin of this type of account is not by name but by code
numbers,james was required to give the 15 digit code number to his next
of kin so that if he dies,his next of kin will present the code to our
bank for claims.
Two years now after his dead no one has come forward for claims and the
bank Management has concluded plans to share the fund within the
Management Cadre of the bank,the money has now been transfered into Suspense
Account,awaiting the sharing.
I will like to present to you all the details of the account and all
the answers to the question you will be asked by the bank to confirm that
you are the next of Kin to Late james,I am very sure that we can claim
this fund within ten days if you act as guided,i am ready to offer you
40% of the fund while i will take the rest as soon as we succeed.Your
Physical presence in Ghana may not be needed,every transaction will be
by Transfer,this make the business risk free.
WHAT YOU MUST DO:
1)I will give you the Telephone number of my bank so
that you can call the Operation Manager .
2)Tell him that you are LATE ROBERT JAMES Next of Kin for the amount of
USD11 Million,That you will like the bank to arrange and transfer the
said fund to your account in Overseas.
The bank will demand for the 15digit code numbers then you will inform
the bank that you have the numbers.
3)The bank management will also demand that you present the deposit
Certificate which the bank issued to MR JAMES,You will also tell them that
you have the certificate,After this then you get back to me for the
information.
By God grace we shall succeed and i hope you will not betray me when
the fund is paid to you.Send to me your private Telephone numbers to
enable me have a word with you.

Kind regards,

ADDO K MENSAH.

[Peter] Eeelo Meester Teerney. Me neem ees Addo. Weeth your mostest keendest peermeeson keen I pleeeesest heev your bonk deeteels. Theenking yee.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Ive never ever seen a mass mailer worm spread as well as this one.

My own email address i use for usenet posting has had over 6,000 of these messages in a week and im getting 700 some days (viruses and bounce messages).

It reads peoples mbx and dbx files so can nick addresses off private lists OR usenet.

Its rendered my usenet email account unusable for now until it stops.

Just a plea to anyone thats reading this.  Please please please run a virus checker as a matter of routine !

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (abucksdiver @ Sep. 26 2003,15:15)]Although much maligned, Hotmail is quite useful, as it uses McAfee to scan all emails... it has been many many months since my AV at home even detected a virus coming through my Hotmail account...

abucks
I only use hotmail for junk anyway.

Re your sig abuck, get your arse moving, not much left to this year.

Adrian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts