YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on last legs
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so, it takes ages to do the upgrade from XP - Vista (home premium) and at first i'm rather impressed with what i see. Unfortunately, this doesn't last to long!!
I was a bit worried about doing the upgrade as I had been warned that if I had any 'not quite so genuine' microsoft software, it would be disabled:eek:Good news is that they all still work :D
Bad news - media player doesn't work and neither does live messenger :frown:
Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just me being a computer fcukwit? (I normally am) Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The operating system is a legit version before anyone asks:angel:

·
Registered
69 Posts
FWIW I think that Microsoft has come up with a few "good un's" - 95, 98 2nd Ed, XP, 2003 Server - all spring to mind, but this one looks more like a Millennium! This DRM stuff is out of order to me. Who want's an OS that won't recognise stuff that you've legally downloaded, or you're simply backing up from legally bought CD/DVD so you don't screw up the original? And then it'll shut down your machine completely because it doesn't like your hardware!!!

No wonder Bill quit and headed for the hills!!!!

·
208 Posts

Bad news - media player doesn't work and neither does live messenger
Has anyone else had this problem
I had the misfortune of the Hard Disk on my machine crashing at work, rather than fighting to rebuild it as it was a Win2K box I thought, its time, I'll go buy another. Well what a drama.
The new machine had a Home version of Vista on it, no good with a windows domain
Apparently there has been a full recall of XP in Australia, its like rocking horse shit so I had to buy an upgrade to Vista Business. now the machine only came with 512MB RAM and Office Works (The Aus version of PC World, I know but they have stock when you need it ie now) dont have extra ram...
The upgrade rather than taking 30 mins required me to have about 10 goes at it and took about 5 hours (I'm pretty clued up when it comes to these things)

Anyway the video card doesnt support something Vista likes and complains about it, despite having a 'Vista compatible' Sticker on it. Media Player doesnt work, keeps crashing, I gave up and installed Winamp, that works, Live messenger didnt work 1st time so I reinstalled it and now it works. It is a work machine and I really dont have the time to fiddle.

Having said all that after a couple of weeks of using it I do like it, but it is slow on my machine, when I get around to tracking down some more ram i'm sure it will be better. In the work environment I still think I would prefer Win2K or XP for its remote desktop capabilities.

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
I too am glad I went to mac.... Just think you'll have it all to do again in 2009 when they completely replace vista.....

Never mind!!

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
282 Posts
Still on windows twa thoosand

And it works great, still get updates no problems when vista is working I'l upgrade to XP..... lol

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I agree about early releases of MS products, and trying to 'upgrade' i.e. bang a new os over an old one has never been successful for me

If you have a desktop and can buy a new hard drive and put it in, I'd do that and install the upgrade as a clean install.

to do this you install the 'upgrade' but don't register it, then install it again and reference the previous install as the one you are upgrading from, you can then register this copy and there is no XP hangover

·
Time and alcohol heal all wounds
182 Posts
I recently upgraded my XP home laptop to Vista Home premium. I didn't do an upgrade to XP, I installed Vista as a fresh install alongside XP. I now have a dual booting pc so I can get Vista or the old XP.

Vista works great by the way. No problems and I actaully think it's a big improvment visually over XP.

If you are going to upgrade, do a fresh install alongside of the original OS, then you can choose whichever one you want.

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts