YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
sorry...which way did you say was up again?
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first report, hope it reads ok.
been waiting all week to go diving especialy as this would be my wifes first dive after passing her ow back in early june.
we pulled up with all the other cars waiting for the gates to be opened didnt have to wait long and now i could tell that caz was a little nervous as the fact she never shuts up when nervous.:redface:
she also needed to hire some gear a cylinder and set of regs £20 which she said was worth it because the set up was so easy to breath.
so finally we get in our first dive around 11.28 am we head for the platform just off the shore entrance as the place is flooded and it seems the only entry / exit point
but to me all the better gives us an extra meter depth:teeth:
from here the fun starts she is under wieghted so wiv a ok sign and down thumb wiv a gentle tug shes flying down toward the bottom (joke)
think she had traped air some where this was the only time she had a problem desending .
so bouancy sorted we head off to the howitzer gun (some of the wheels still work) i go one way round it caz goes other think we would meet up ... no caz seeing i not followed her turns back which i just round the corner to see her fin vanish around the corner ahead so naturally i give chase and we start a under water cat and mouse game eventually i catch her up (boy can she shift wen she think big ugly bloke chasin her) so after this bit of fun we set off again to see what we can find but we were directly under electric cables and my compass was doing a good impression of capt jack sparrows compass after swimming round in circles we throw the towel in and suface to see where we are next to the wild reserve caz calls an end to the dive and head in shore for a coffee and laugh about being chased round the gun.

dive 2
we decided to have a look at the tank up on the far left but we gonna swim out on surface to save air been as i am such an air pig and can suck a 12ltr cylinder empty in 20 mins. about a quarter way out and those words you hate to hear echo over the water "honey tow me for a bit im tierd" huh what about me whose gonna tow me when i get knackered one point scored for caz getting muggins to drag her out there.
same drill ok sign thumbs down and she spits the reg out "and dont think im gonna drop down and have a tanks gun shoved up where the sun dont shine i am decending over here ok ! " so down we go me over the tank and caz just over to the left a little i hover over the tank she touches down on the platform at front of the tank but with her back to me and the tank (still not sure why?) so nearly did get the gun where she didnt want it .
any way im hovering above shes on platform ,does wait for me to join but sets off round the side of tank hoping to sneak up on me.
she completely round the tank but forgets to look up so i fin down to her behind her of course but upside down but at head hieght so when she turns round we are face to face i tap her on the shoulder and she spins round not sure exactly what she said but the waving fist and stream of bubbles said it all i burst into laughter and nearly spit my reg out . caz then see funny side and she starts to smile with her eyes sparkling.
from this point she leads the dive and i follow vis is gettin poor compass still thinks its on the set of pirates of carabian and she leads straight to a cabin and lorry trailer think is used as platform aswell so i go to have wander round it turn to gesture to caz lets look inside cabin an no caz to be seen is she gettin her own back at last so i look franticly to catch her out but she was on her way to the top shed forgot to let air out bcd i was trying to regain control of bouancy but a little to late plus we were in shollow water so i canned the dive and follwed her up
we were about 20mtrs off the shore exit shes brill...

i had so much fun just had to share :teeth:

jonesy

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Note to self *watch out for tank guns up the jacksey*

How was the site though Jonesy? Viz, water temp etc?

I've read on their website that it's meant to be 11m at some points, but every diver report seems to say to get below 6m you need a shovel :)

What's the site facilities like too? ie bacon butties :D

Thinking of nipping up one night this week to do some skills practice.

Arfie

·
Registered
679 Posts
Arfie,
6M to 6.8M Max, Last week water was a toasty 17oC. Viz variable but easily 4 M Plus.
Butties,tea and cakes etc etc available in canteen all reasonably priced you can go in there with your suit on if you like. On site shop,changing rooms,loads of parking. £5 to register(first visit only) £5 to Dive £5 per car/van etc. So first trip £15 thereafter a £10 or £7.50 if there are two in a car.
Air available think it was £2.50 a fill regardless of cylinder size but i could be wrong on that one.
Overhead power lines throw your compass out :angel:
Exit possible all around the lake with footpath running around perimeter. Several underwater "attractions" silty bottom with areas of weed. Loads of micro bugs in the water but cause no problems once saw a big sturgeon but other than that not a lot of fish.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Note to self *watch out for tank guns up the jacksey*

How was the site though Jonesy? Viz, water temp etc?

I've read on their website that it's meant to be 11m at some points, but every diver report seems to say to get below 6m you need a shovel :)

What's the site facilities like too? ie bacon butties :D

Thinking of nipping up one night this week to do some skills practice.

Arfie
I've had 6.9 metres and that was with a good few dives searching. If they have got 10+ then it would make a difference from a training point of view. IE more could be done there.

Gary

·
sorry...which way did you say was up again?
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
daz and gary both got it in a nut shell.
shallow with viz simular to pea soup but if your just going to practise skills you really cant beat the place.
decent grub and good cuppa along wiv it being cheap days diving
in my book gives it 5 stars:sun:

·
Mmmmmmmm
256 Posts
Viz: If you get there early, and are the first in, the visibility can be excellent, well in excess of 10m+, and due to the shallow nature, the light really improves what you can see. After a few divers have bumped there way around each attraction, the vis goes down considerably.

Depth: As above really, and I have had a good look around, but am willing to be corrected.

General: Really nice people, a good set up, perfect for me for the first half a dozen dives in a drysuit (warm water diver converting to the green side). If it is local to you, then i can recommed popping along to have a dive just to see for yourself really.

Daniel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great Report

Nice little write up, I remember my first open water dives after passing out (or should that be "qualifying") I did Capenwray and blue lagoon in my first weekend as a qualified diver.

A year down the line and I'm back there every week doing my Divemaster course!!

I couldn't agree more about the power lines my compass doesn't like them either!!!:angel:

Hope you enjoy your diving as much as I have

Mark

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice little write up, I remember my first open water dives after passing out (or should that be "qualifying") I did Capenwray and blue lagoon in my first weekend as a qualified diver.

A year down the line and I'm back there every week doing my Divemaster course!!

I couldn't agree more about the power lines my compass doesn't like them either!!!:angel:

Hope you enjoy your diving as much as I have

Mark
Mark

I remember that weekend well. It was lovely sun shine and I had a great time diving with you. Congratulations on doing your DM, do you think you will do your OWSI too?

Tim

·
Registered
93 Posts
DM in training

It definately is in the books, just finished all the exam work yesterday, only managed to get average 97% over the 8 exams and still got a lot of the practical to do.

Will have to go for another dive sometime as I do have a little bit more bouyancy control these days (well a bit anyway)

Mark

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
We saw some wildlife, they have a great breeding ground for daphnia :) and of course the dog.

Didn't see another living creature in there, well other than Endoman :teeth:

I can see it has great potential once established and the wildlife and fish take a hold.

Arfie

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've heard there is a 10m bit just between the island and the powerlines, but not found it yet!! We have seen a couple of the sturgeon in there, they're a good 2'+ and yes it is a fantastic breeding ground for daphnia, I would have thought the fish in there would have been like monsters, but they seem to keep away from divers.

The floods over the last week or so have took the level up by around 5ft from normal so it's a bit deeper at the moment.

Mark

·
Mmmmmmmm
256 Posts
I would like to know where the 10m section is too please? (PM if required..?)

As for wildlife: There are two sturgeon, quite large. I have seen one on two seperate occasions, so could be the same one twice. First time is was a fleeting look, the second, it allowed us to get very close, and never showed any sign of swimming off. Also seen a good sized shoal of roach (i'd have to guess at 20-30 fish) of about 4"-6", right in front of the entry area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.