YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>My colleague has just bought a new mobile phone which is blue tooth compatable.  

His question is do you have to buy a specific headset for the phone or will anyone work.

I heard something on the radio a few weeks ago where someone could communicate through someone elses phone if they were sat within range of the head / hand set.

Anyone know how these things work.

Fiona

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

Bluetooth works on the idea that there is one standard and that any devices which are "paired" can talk to each other.

In practice things aren't quite there yet and some manufacturers bluetooth devices don't work with others. The only way to make sure that his phone and headset will work to to get them both from the same manufacturer or get two that you know work together (ie you know someone who has the same and it works).

Although there have been a few problems with bluetooth security problems being announced recently, having someone listen in on you is pretty unlikely as both devices have to be paired with a PIN number before they will communicate (and then set up their own encyption keys after that) and the owner of the two devices should be the only one with that PIN number. I've been using a bluetooth built in car kit with my Nokia phone for about a year now with no problems.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Cheers.  

Some people just have too much money  

·
Registered
90 Posts
Imported post

A new bluetooth headset will work with any phone.

Bluetooth has 'profiles' to allow particular functionality. For headsets there are two profiles which can be used (headset and handsfree). The handsfree profile is a newer standard and offers extra features like rejecting a call and toggling between calls if using call waiting. Some old headsets may only support the headset profile.

Sone phones (such as the nokia 6600) only support the newer handsfree profile and therefore will not work with old headsets.
A common headset which has been around for a while is the Jabra BT200. Near the mic there is a revision number. Revision 19B and later support handsfree.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>mine works fine, but if you forget to switch it off  and you try to use your phone normaly it dont work. cose the head set is running.

·
"Right, done the pool stuff, what's next.........?
483 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>mine works fine, but if you forget to switch it off  and you try to use your phone normaly it dont work. cose the head set is running

You can hear zip.But they can hear you, in the distance having an absolute fit with your phone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts