YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Bluetooth stereo adapters

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  EBT 
#1 ·
Basically, Im in the market for a bluetooth receiver that I can plug into the home stereo and chuck music at it over bluetooth from the laptop/phone/toaster/whatever.

I've found a logitech one that seems ok, but wondered if anyone had experience of these (or alternatives).

Since this is YD, I dont want to change my home stereo.... i dont want something with a big H on it and no, it doesnt need to be CCR ready ;)

#2 ·
I've been looking for something similar but not had a lot of luck yet.

I toyed with the AppleTV but it has no analogue audio out, then the Airport Express but that seems overkill, and would be fine for the iPhone/iPad but not any other Bluetooth devices we might choose in the future...

#3 ·
I'm interested in one of these too. I'd been looking at sound over wi-fi and hadn't thought about Bluetooth - what's the range?

Also I'm looking for a wireless speaker. It's for the kitchen, so doesn't need to be ultra-high quality. And recommendations?

Janos

#4 ·
The issue for me so far is that none of them seem to pair to multiple devices. The logitech seems the best of the lot in as much as its pairing procedure is a piece of piss (press button, observe flashy light, 'discover' the device).

@Janos, range in the real world depends on the two devices, I've read plenty of reports suggesting that the logitech works with htc phones and macs reliably at 10-20m (a few claimed 30, but Im skeptical).

For wireless speakers, I cant help, theres plenty on amazon though.

#6 ·
Why not use a. Raspberry pi running some sort of media type distro and using DLNA?

I've rigged this up on our stereo using a version of RaspBMC and a DLNA plug-in. It was a tad sketchy and I've since got bored and used the pi for other stuff, but it's worth a go. If you have a spare kbd, mouse and SD card lying around, the Pi itself is cheap as chips!

#10 ·
Neil/Mal,

a few questions?

- What sort of range do you get
- does it pair with multiple devices, or do you have to re-pair to switch between sources.

#13 ·
Thanks gents, useful stuff. Neils unit sounds like what i was after, but they're not common in the uk.

As to the 'install a dlna server'.... ho ho... YD :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.