YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Don't know if this is really the right bit of the forum, but who cares.

Basically I need a boat (preferably hard-boat, but decent sized RIB will do) out of Plymouth or near enough to dive the Scylla and James Egan Lane on the end of May bank holiday. Needs to do at least 10 divers really.

Any reccomendations that won't be booked up? Best places to stay on student budgets?

All help much appreciated. If there are any spaces left after the uni guys it'll get opened up on here.

Cheers.

Digs.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Try Peter at Eddystone Dive Charters. He has a nice hardboat and I remember seeing an article a few months back saying he's got a new diver lift. His wife does the B&B for 12 divers at there house. Last time I used his boat I think we paid approx £85 for two nights B&B & 4 dives. If the weathers good he'll get you out to Eddystone or Hands deep, 2 very nice pinnicles.
Home 01752295684 Mob 07930109216.

hope this helps

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

finally got fed up of the stanegarth eh???

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>been fed up with the stanegarth for about the last 50 dives now. This is the trip I agreed to organise but we never worked out where to go or what we wanted to do!

I think I've got the accommodation sorted now, so if anyone knows of a boat for 12 in the area it would be much appreciated.

Digs.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Digger

I would Google for 'Dive boat plymouth' and have a look. There are many boats, but for the w/e you want, it could be tricky. Local news reported that dive boats are now fully booked for some time, Could be hype, but...

YDers' used Furious last year, I've used Sea King and Storm, but at least 6 years ago. Rod on Storm is very good, but I have little experience of other skippers.

Adrian

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Why not try looedivers, bit closer i think to the wrecks, and also have 2 hardboats and couple of ribs- either of which you can privatly hire out.
hth bubs

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Imported post

You'll be lucky for the bank holiday mate, it's gone mental down there at the moment. Apparantly, some daft naval captain only went and sunk his big boat-thing in about 20 metres of water or something.

Anyway, try www.diveplymouth.co.uk. Might be worth giving Richie a call there and seeing if he can do anything for you.

A whole bunch of us from UKRS are going down there 8/9th May to do the Scylla, and there may still be some places available.

Gareth

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Aha! I have a solution! I will take our boats! Apparently they're in much better sea-worthiness than I'd given them credit for, so we're onto a winner! Yay!

I've spoken to Peter Hambley at Eddystone Dive Charters, and he was a very helpful, reasonable man, who tried to help out with the boats, but I think even he realised it would take a miracle to get a bank holiday dive boat out to the Scylla if we tried to charter. It'll be cheaper this way too.

If i have any places, I'll let you guys know. If anyone's got a towbar and is prepared to tow a rib from Nottingham to Plymouth, you could be onto a winner. PM me if you're up this way and you can do that sort of thing. We've usually got a lot of volunteers to do that sort of thing, but I think we might not have as many towbars as we used to! Obviously I'll do the right thing by you if you're towing our boat.

Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Digger

Given the ages of many of your divers, not many will have a licence to tow. Just be careful.

Adrian

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ April 05 2004,07:31)]Digger

Given the ages of many of your divers, not many will have a licence to tow. Just be careful.

Adrian
<font color='#8D38C9'>yep I don't have a full lience to tow
I do have a provional though - can I put L plates on the trailer ?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>there are some of us around in Notts who do have full licences to tow but somehow I really don't fancy putting a rib on the back of a 1.4 Fiat Bravo  

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Digger - I too would have recommended Peter Hambley to you - he is a lovely bloke.  We had a good time with him on the YD trip last year and his boat is nice and fast!  Eddystone in no time!

Looe Divers I would avoid if you could - they might get you a boat but no saying what shape it would be in.  They never even acknowledged the detailed letter of complaint I sent them.

Lou

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Or there is a slightly psychotic bloke in Salcombe who runs 'the Beast'- a bloody great big Avon with twin 200 Mercurys on the back. Gets anywhere you like in no time flat. But you have to prise him out of the Fortescue Arms and sober him up first. On a plus point if he has had some sauce he does give extremely good fills- 290 bar in a 232 ally the last time I went in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts