YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Should Boat Refund Binned Trip Due To Bad Weather?

  • Yes

    Votes: 80 97.6%
  • No

    Votes: 2 2.4%
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
North Of The Border
Joined
·
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your Boat Trip is cancelled due to bad weather, and rearranging is proving near impossible, should the boat refund? Or is it accepted that this may be the case.
 

·
Is somewhere else!
Joined
·
4,728 Posts
I voted yes, but it depends who's decision it is not to set out.
If the skipper says it's a no go then I'm expecting a refund, but if it's the divers who wimp out when the skipper is willing? No refund there.

I try to use skippers who are very clear cut about that stuff. Best of all are the ones who won't charge if they miss the wreck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,810 Posts
If the skipper has decided it is too bad, then the divers shouldn't pay. If the divers chose to be wimps, then they pay.

I never did like diving with the skipper who used to make it halfway round the bill, watch 12 divers puke over the side, then make them decide, which meant he still got paid.

Play fair :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,363 Posts
I don't agree that if the divers call it then they still have to pay.

The decision to call a weekend is made between the trip organiser and the skipper. They look at the weather, and make a call. It is not wimping out, and at the same time skippers have to be reasonable.

If a skipper made the call that the diving was on, and forced 12 divers to go out in awful conditions, it would be the last time I ever booked on their boat. I appreciate they make bad decisions sometimes, but most skippers know within 2 minutes of leaving the harbour, if not well before, whether it is safe to dive.

Ultimately, I have my cash until the boat gets back into the harbour, so the skipper is best to be nice and play the game, because if they push a dive that should have been called in the interests of profit they may just find themselves without any money as a result. If nobody dives as a result of conditions, then nobody pays. Whether we are in the harbour or on site.

Digs.
 

·
murofevideht
Joined
·
1,784 Posts
I would say if they cancelled you shouldn't have to pay. I know that I have frequently had days booked on the East coast with Marinequest which have been cencelled due to the weather, never had to pay and usually had a phone call the day before to explain the cancellation.

I would suggest that any skipper that cancelled and refused to refund your deposit would soon find himself with few customers, the uk diving world is very small!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,258 Posts
As per the replies above - In general, if the skipper cans it then no one pays and deposits refunded, if the divers can it then they should pay.
 

·
That's Dude with an E
Joined
·
12,959 Posts
On one of the early YD farnes gigs that l organised 2 out of 3 skippers said no the third said its up to us, buthe was happy to go. We had a discussion and most decided that it was too rough, l aid if we canned it we would pay if the skipper canned it we wouldn't, so we said yes to the skipper who then suprise suprise said it was too rough.

So no go no pay, it is that simple. It would only take a skipper to charge once then he would loose those clients and anyone else they speak to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,794 Posts
Legally whatever T&Cs you agreed with the skipper when you booked apply but I would not be booking on a boat which expected payment if they decide to can it.
 

·
PMs are being edited
Joined
·
9,612 Posts
What he said
I also understand if it is divers cancelling, then they should pay - unless the skipper manages to get another group.

I have had trips cancelled, and they keep the money, offering another booking.
I have been out and had to turn back because of fog - skipper wanted paying for both dives despite not doing any
I have been on the boat when divers have tried to cancel because they saw a weather report on BBC that it 'might' be windy:(

It should be a joint decision, although skippers decision is final - if they say No, then it is No - unless it comes down to safety (going out in piss poor conditions).


I have also been guilty of 'punishing' divers:D A buddy pair rocked up late for a dive in Lanzarote, and still seemed a bit pissed/hungover. They assured me they were fit to dive so I took them out in the little RIB (5m) - only about half a mile to the wrecks.

When they surfaced, one was puking already, and it had started to blow a bit. As I motored back (slowly) I would power up the waves, then cut the throttle right at the top so we slammed down:) They both ended up in the foetal position on the floor, whimpering. Never be late for my boat feckers:D
 

·
North Of The Border
Joined
·
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As I motored back (slowly) I would power up the waves, then cut the throttle right at the top so we slammed down:) They both ended up in the foetal position on the floor, whimpering. Never be late for my boat feckers:D
Class!
 

·
PMs are being edited
Joined
·
9,612 Posts
It's in debate at the moment.
What are in the T&Cs? Assuming they have a website.

I did see some T&Cs the other day on here (I think for diving Malin) that even if the weather cans it, you still pay:(
In that instance I would have them motor round in circles, as if I've paid for a boat and fuel I want the use out of it.
 

·
A VS Cash Cow
Joined
·
17,832 Posts
I did see some T&Cs the other day on here (I think for diving Malin) that even if the weather cans it, you still pay:(
In that instance I would have them motor round in circles, as if I've paid for a boat and fuel I want the use out of it.
thats because its a liveaboard and you spend the week over there.
 

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
Joined
·
13,407 Posts
I've been out on the Clyde a few times with a skipper whose idea of a dive is dropping you on a sandbank outside Largs marina if he doesn't fancy the weather and still charge you the same because if you chose not to go then it's your decision to cancel, not his. A lot of people would see that as him trying his best, unfortunately I'm not one of them and will no longer use him. We'd booked him once to do a 60m wreck, eight divers turn up with twinsets and stage bottles and he tries to get away with dropping us on a 20m rock. "What do you mean? I'm giving you the option to dive so it's you that's cancelling...". That was the final straw.

There's always somewhere to dive in the Clyde, it might be crap but it's something. Elaine usually gave you the option of binning it or doing a crap dive for less than the charter price. Shame she's gone.
 
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Top