YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3 boats down from the candy
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

a friend of mine from devon visited over christmas and the conversation got round to boats as he has one stored at his house , now i know some members of YD are regular users of boats so i am looking to them for a bit of advice .
No 1 what is the basic courses required for taking a boat out to sea, to be safe not the legal requirement if there is any.
No 2 what books would be useful to read
No 3 do you require  a certificate like a car MOT for your boat
cheers paul

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

Paul

what sort of boat - yacht, RIB, or Gin Palace - will make a difference to what courses he is best looking at.

Is he going to use it for diving or pleasure - hmm, not that diving is not pleasure but I think you know what I mean  

Simon

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>no legal requirements to take a boat to sea just good insurance if you use a commercial launch ie 2 million third party
best to do bsac diver cox and boathandling or rya powerboats
as for books dont know i cant read
 cheers

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Paul

I would recommend some understanding of navigation and charts.  You could do a course and there is also a good little white hard backed book on Navigation Can't remember the name, you do the course work in it, you could also do day skipper course.

Fiona

·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

boat is small day boat with outboard engine and small cuddy and would be used for pleasure trips for family and friends , no commercial or long distance.
cheers paul

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I would reccomend doing RYA level 2 powerboating - it is much the same as BSAC boathandling.  
The Coastguard/RNLI will do a free seaworthyness check on your boat and will give you loads of advice on what to take.  As i used to work at a watersports centre with 5 or so small boats i can tell you what each one of them took to satisfy AALA (adventurous activity liscencing authortity).

Throw bag - not to be used as mooring rope
Repair kit - cable ties, bodge tape, spare bits for sailing boats and for boat you are in.  Hammer, screwdriver, knife etc
Tow rope - can also be used for mooring
Inshore flare pack
VHF radio - liscence needed.
First aid kit - including wooly hat and space blanket.
Anchor including chain.
Sea anchor
Personal flotation devices - life jackets are better on the sea than a buoyancy aid.
Spare fuel.

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

No legal requirements to have qualifications for the use you describe but I recconmend the RYAII as a minimum and sone day skipper theory. You can then decide if you need more training / knowlegde. I suggest you check the small print of your insurance documents before opting for a BSAC boat handling course - some documents actually state that a minimum RYAII qualified person must be in charge at all times (or equivalent)  The BSAC courses used to be Equivalent but this was withdrawn some years ago. In their, Defence BSAC are currently Rewriting their courses to meet the requirements.

When all said, its the same as diving - make sure whoever you get your training from has experience as well as the instructor ticket

Regards

·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

thanks to all , some really useful info for me to look into
cheers paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Paul,

I'm in full agreement with SKIPPER.Apart from i would say treat the BSAC Course as head to head situ, turn to Starboard. put the hammers down and give a wide berth.......
WHY...... A mate of mine has his own RIB, that he takes divers out on , so off he went towing his RIB to the course for a weekend with BSAC...... Basically all he leant was NOT to exceed 50 on a road whilst towing. NOT the course he wanted or expected.

I tell people all the time to do a proper RYA course, or get someone that has a boat and quailified to give you a bit of training before doing a course...

SKIPPER runs RYA II courses, have a look at his website.

There are lots of night schools & sailing schools running day skipper courses this time of year, pop into your local libary and grab a leaflet on courses in your local area.Hey, you might even want to do a DSC course

Andy

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Jan. 01 2004,10:01)].Apart from i would say treat the BSAC Course as head to head situ, turn to Starboard. put the hammers down and give a wide berth.......
WHY...... A mate of mine has his own RIB, that he takes divers out on , so off he went towing his RIB to the course for a weekend with BSAC...... Basically all he leant was NOT to exceed 50 on a road whilst towing. NOT the course he wanted or expected.
Andy,

Bit harsh mate

There are "some" very good BSAC boathandling courses out there. the problem is one of consistancy. IMVHO one of the key factors in avoiding a BSAC course is the entry requirements for becoming a BH instructor. Basically, You can get the ticket providing you are a BSAC diving instructor with minimal boat handling experience and you attend (from memory) 3 BH SDC. The RYA insist on 5 years boathandling experience as a minimum except where you have proven  extensive experience in a short time period. For example where someone works full time with boats for 2 seasons, a letter from the company they work for to this effect will get them entry to the RYA instructor course.

The second factor is the "control" over the training. No RYA instructor can teach independant of a RYA training center. Each center has a annual inspection conducted by the RYA. that's boats, equipment, insurance, training materials, paper work and  they sit in on actual coures being run. In addition a RYA II instructor can only teach in the nominated area of the Training center he is registered with. Only Advanced instructors can teach in other areas. Prety good quality control IMHO.

regards

David

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Dave

I see your point in many ways but

if you want to learn to drive a car    = You go to a driving school
if you want to learn to dive             = you go to a dive school
if you want to learn to drive boats   =  you go to a boat school

I had looked at RIB's with him , before he decided which one to buy. We then spent a whole weekend with me teching him differnt methods of boat handling, I.E lanching and recovery from a slipway, high speed U & S turns , emergency stops , picking up mooring up & down wind & basic outboat checks . EVEN how to get up a beach fast in a bit of surf without damaging engine/gear box or prop.Also basic theroy, pilotage , nav and weather.

Now, my mate wanted to learn on his BSAC BH course.

1) Proper way to pick up divers. . having taught him how to pick divers up the correct way or a MOB in that matter.   On the BSAC course he was made to pick up a fender ( acting as body ) by coming up alongside beam onto swell with the diver abeam on leeward side , and let the wind blow boat down onto diver,,,,,,,,,,,,, Strange way , but this would be hard if you was the only one on the boat and had a U/C diver to handle with .

2). Wasn't shown in any way how to cover divers in the water .. As a bsac BH course i would have thought this would have been high on the list .

This list was endless, and i think that in the end he ripped up the ticket , and went to the local sailing school and did all the RYA courses up to day skipper.

What made me think that it was a waste of time was , him taking his boat all the way to go and do the course, spend 3/4 day learning the ROAD laws in towing , which can be learnt from the highway code. Also , a instructor telling him the RIGHT way to launch his RIB , after he had spent £ 2500 + in having a new trailer built and totally redesigned for launching in place where limited water is at the end of a slipway IE Dover on LW springs

IMO, i'm not knocking the BSAC BH course for the whole of the UK,,,, just SE, where this course had taken place. I just wish i had gone along with him ,,, now

Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts