YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

BTW check out the Bond film tonight on ITV 1, especially the diving bit, not quite the right way to handle an emergency situation methinks!

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Hehe - what are your favourite movie diving gaffs then? I seem to remember in a film called "The Sphere" (a crappy underwater alien sci-fi with Sharron Stone) they were hundered of metres underwater in a saturation tank and were having to do an emergency escape so to work out the dive plan lo and behold, out came a set of PADI rec tables!!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I saw a Simpsons once in which Homer got trapped inside a safe on the bottom of the sea. Bart went down to rescue him without any source of buoyancy control, lifted Homer from the safe, buddy breathed all the way to the surface without any thought of doing stops. Silly buggers.

Peter  

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Heads Up on 7:17 am on Jan. 15, 2003
I seem to remember in a film called "The Sphere" (a crappy underwater alien sci-fi with Sharron Stone
<span =''>What d'you expect since it was written by Michael Crichton of Jurassic Park and Congo fame?

In the same film, Dustin Hoffman somehow manages to make a spare air (single not twin) last about half an hour (or so it felt) at 1,000m or so......

Ho hum

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

And for a real laugh check out "Deep Blue Sea" absolutely no attempt to be scientifically realistic throughout, it's one of my favourite comedy films of recent years :lol:

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

The diving in Thunderball is great, isn't it? I personally love the bit where bond gets his mask ripped off, grabs a baddies mask (you can tell its a baddies 'cos it's black) and puts it on. Next shot its an oval blue one again - Fantastic. And what about Baywatch when Pamela Anderson goes rescuing some diver and she's only equipped with a spare air which lasts 15 minutes at a depth great enough to get bent! I just wish everything was as realistic as Stingray.

(Edited by Noel Johnson at 2:46 pm on Jan. 17, 2003)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

also I  think in Thunderball, Bond has a prototype spare air the size of a pen which seems to last for about ten minutes (the bit where he's swimming through the shark tunnel)
So pop quiz question: what pressure would you need to make around  200l of air (20l/min for 10mins) compress into (about a) 20ml tank? answers on a postcard please...

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

10,000 bar. I'm probably wrong as I'm sure ome smart arse will come along and prove. If I'm right do I win a prize?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

PeterK come on down you're tonights winner!,  yes you do get a prize, I've e-mailed you an Gibson Les Paul air guitar... ;)
Chee-az
Steve

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I thought I was right in the normal sense of the word. I just thought one of the DIR people would tell me that I pressed the buttons on the calculator in the wrong order, even though the end result was the same.
PS, Does anyone want to swap a Gibson Les Paul Air Guitar for some suppositories, coz I'd be as well to shove either of them up my ar*e for all the good they'll do me.

Peter  

1 - 11 of 11 Posts