YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new suit coming, and I've opted to have socks on it. I therefore need some boots to cover the top of these.

THe complication is that I've got large feet, and if they get cold I sneeze. Consequently my current footwear is:

1) Thick walking socks
2) pbb socks
3) Neoprene socks
4) Size 12 Otter wellies with Cuban dancing heels.

I'm now going to need a pair of boots that will fit over all of that (excepting the Cuban dancing heeled Otter wellies, obviously) . (Ie they'll need to be massive.)

So what are my options? I know people are using wetsuit boots and also Converse all-stars but I'm sure that wetsuit boots won't be large enough, and I doubt Converse all stars will be either.

Janos

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Actually, I think the best solution would be to phone the drysuit folks and get some Otter wellies put on :D

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Janos,

Both ROHO and Otter now do boots for dry socks.

So, an idea may be to phone Otter and tell them what you have just told us, but tell them the size of your current otter wellies with dancing heels and hopefully they will be able to give you an equivalent in their own 'rock boots' style.

BTW, I changed my Otter wellies with dancing heels a while ago for dry socks and rock boots - it was one of the best kit decisions I have made and wouldn't want to go back to wellies again.

Oh, and if you have neoprene dry socks as I have, then the neo will add thermal insulation as well :D

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
They're the people I'm getting my suit from (and it does look lovely). I'll have a look at their rock boots, but I'm interested to know what other people's experiences are.

Janos
I have some of the normal boots from PB. They are OK, but I wish they went further up the ankle. I found that my previous fin starps would try to pull off the boot. I now have longer straps and this problem does not seem to occur. Tying the laces tightly is not always easy. I may still look out for some normal wetboots with a zip.

Adrian

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
BTW, I changed my Otter wellies with dancing heels a while ago for dry socks and rock boots - it was one of the best kit decisions I have made and wouldn't want to go back to wellies again.
Just got back from a trip up to Otter, they don't do a light weight boot anymore, the company they used went bust, so I have just been given an option of neoprene socks and boots (Seacsub) £70 fitted inc. boots. This could be a short term option for me.

·
3,241 Posts
Just got back from a trip up to Otter, they don't do a light weight boot anymore, the company they used went bust,
Oh dear they won't be happy. They were issuing those as standard with their new travel dry suit.

·
3,241 Posts
I have some of the normal boots from PB. They are OK, but I wish they went further up the ankle. I found that my previous fin starps would try to pull off the boot.
I can see how this would happen with the 'shoe' style. Those commando ones they do wouldn't pull off :D

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Oh dear they won't be happy. They were issuing those as standard with their new travel dry suit.
No I am not talking about the Seacsub boots which are on the travel suit.

I found a boot on one of their suits which was very flexible with lightweight boots (attached to the suit - not separate) they had a few pairs still in stock but not in my size.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Allot of the DUI suits that i have seen in portland are using a weysuit boot over a neopren sock on the suit instaed of the turbo soled boots

and it works great i have just asked Polar bears to change my suit to a sock and i have brought some cresse wet suit boots for it when it arrives

Graham

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Graham

Can I ask why you are choosing wetsuit boots and not a dry (type) boot, same question for anyone else.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Graham

Can I ask why you are choosing wetsuit boots and not a dry (type) boot, same question for anyone else.
Best of both worlds. Dry feet, but an insulating wetsuit boot over the top.

I would do the same except there's no way on earth there are any wetsuit boots big enough.

Janos

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Best of both worlds. Dry feet, but an insulating wetsuit boot over the top.

I would do the same except there's no way on earth there are any wetsuit boots big enough.

Janos
speek to john at JR Services

he can get custom made sizes worth a call

as for thr wet suit boots the neopren sock keeps my feet dry and the wet suit boot is flexable and warm also they are cheap when they are knackered

so you have all the same as turbo soles but without the leaky sole :)

Graham

Reactions: Janos

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Graham

The Gates/Hunter boots are no longer made. The alternatives were, IIRC, a chuffing great heavy boot, a really think rubber coated neoprene boot (think moonboots, or the neosocks + over shoe. I went for the neo socks and over shoe (seac sub).

I decide the socks were too small. On a return visit they were discussing a sock made out of the standard membrane material. So I took a chance and went for that, all the changes were done FOC as they must have screwed the measuring. The new socks are OK. I do make sure I stand on a mat - it looks like it would be easy to hole them, yet I am assured they should be tougher than neoprene. It is the thin-ness that is odd.

Adrian

1 - 20 of 35 Posts