YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Who remembers those halycon days of your first dives?  You remember, getting in the water but not being able to get down, once down plummeting to the bottom with ears feeling like some-one sitting on them......fumbling for the BCD inflate button whilst trying to clear the mask all the while well aware that your sucking air like (to quote Mr Tierney) a cornered....well you get the idea.

Well that was me today!  Hoorah!  Today was my first trial of a twinset and wings and what a learning episode it was.  I really never thought it would feel so different to a single and pony.  It took a long time before I could relax a little after getting my bouyancy just so. Before that I was all over the place - I really felt like a total beginner - a real humbling experience (punishment for feeling like I was the dogs b's  strolling amongst all the O/W learners on the way down to the water, Hah!).

Even so, despite the poor experience I've taken the plunge and ordered a whole new rig.   I can't wait for its delivery and then spend god-knows how many hours in Capernwray re-doing all the old drills and the new ones - ah joy!
 And then?  Well then I'll really be able to take advantge of my Nitrox quals and spend shit-loads of time u/w without having to come up away from the place I love.

So many more interesting dives ahead and I'll be looking for tips and advice every now and again - so be warned

Finally one big thank you to the ever helpful Mr Hayhurst for agreeing to go out with me today and letting me use his rig - cheers Andy.

Tim

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Tim

Nice post, glad you have the balls to admit your problems with a new rig. I use a single 15 and Pony but i plan on using independant 12's at Scapa, so i think you have convinced me to a longer build up than i had planned.

Regards

Paul

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Hi Paul,
that is a good idea I have moved from indi' 10's on a wing bc to manifold 12,s on a wing & backplate and have done 10 dives to date with it and am only just getting used to it.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

lol  rember doind the lune with my new twin 12s because someone convinced me it would be good practace

good practace at fookin up my knees trying to get out.....even had a 10litre set up in the van....duuuu

but unfamiliarity of your kit leads to stress/problems, you should get as much practace in with new setups befour you go on serious dives (not that all dives are serious, but you get my point)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts