YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be moving shortly to Boston in Lincolnshire and it occurs to me that it will bit a bit of a drive to Babbacombe and other such delights of the south coast. In between some Googling I thought I'd throw the question out here, what's to dive up that way?

I'm going to have to find some new dive sites and dive buddies, I need to keep diving, after all the only other outdoor pursuit I really got into was climbing, and I reckon there's even less chance of me taking that up again in Lincolnshire :)

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Give up diving and take up Kite flying. The nearest dive site is Guildenburgh here:

Map of United Kingdom | Multimap.com

Its unspeakable..... even on a weekday when none else is there.....

Otherwise you have the muddy Linconshire coast. Hmmm....

Dave C

p.s. go onto Live Local Search and search for Wittlesay. Click on the satalite image button and zoom in. You can see the parking and everything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave, thanks for the glowing recommendation, I look forward to becoming a patron of that fine establishment. :cry:

That muddy coast, any hope?

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Boston is part of the Wash. Its shallow and muddy. You need to head round to Norfolk before there is anything like a chance of any viz. We used to go Tope fishing from Boston when I were a lad. It is rumoured that there is treasure in the Wash!!

I love the place, its desolate wildness and the amazing bird life. I loved digging lugworm there (near the youth offender centre - North Sea Camp).

Diving though I think is not a high point :(

Chris

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Congrats on moving to the worst bloody county in the UK for decent diving. And roads, bloody awfull roads as well.

Geoff Webb runs a club from Sutton Bridge, North Sea Wreckers. I have to say I have heard some increasingly negative reports about him recently though. They run a RIB out of Trimmingham, Norfolk, most weekends.

Asides from that, pretty dire to be honest. The wonderful customer service of Gildy, or the regular 2 hour trips to Stony Cove.

There is a new business at Lincoln, Divenutz, who are beginning to get some trips set up. Also Alf at Sceptre Scuba, again in Lincoln, does some stuff as well.

HTH

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris, I don't think Lincolnshire has any high points, it's all flat fens! Yes there are the Wolds, but it's not exactly proper hills is it. Still I do love the sausages, but I am very particular about the butchers, the one by the mother in-law is best!

Stewbie, thanks for the info... I think! So there is something at least. Would you care to elaborate on the negatives or the customer service? You may not, so don't worry or PM. Just like to make an informed decsion before I sell my kit and drink it down the pub!

I think the roads can be fun, provided you don't want to get anywhere fast, in which case you will have a lorry in front, who speeds up on the only bit of straight road were youhad a hope of passing.

·
10,679 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Guildy's customer service is slowly attaining legendary status, especially that bloke on the air fill station. You know, if it wasn't for all those bloody divers actually wanting air, then he would be ok.

To be honest, Guildy is way overdue for some serious redevelopment. Purely by location they have a reasonable catchment area, yet the facilities are certainly second to none. Yep, nothing else in the country has the same level of facilities for the divers who go there. Vis is normally fairly poor and there is also the famous "Gildenburg Ear."

What it does seem to have going for it is an ability to disclose any problems you may have with your suspension, I believe the car park is sponsored by Shocks-R-Us, plus the training platforms are useful, and you can get in there at a reasonable time on weekends. Probably due to the aforementioned reasons.

As for Geoff Webb - Sleaford_Diver on here has some knowledge. I believe that he was somewhat suprised about the level of teaching and safety on an advanced course. Wasn't there so don't know the truth of things. I have also heard that the owner of the pool that he has been using is somewhat concerned about the speed of payment, which is never a good sign in a business.

Still he does have a RIB and goes diving most weekends for £35 a pop I believe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks again.

On my way home last night, I rashly bought Diver mag in the airport shop for something to read on my hour flight. After a lost fuel docket, two boardings and subsequent attempts to get one of the engines to start, a change of plane, one diversion due to fog, a coach ride and an expensive taxi ride later, I had read Diver cover to cover and even the adverts I was that bored. So apart from sharing my woes, what did this mean? One more nail in the coffin, the adverts at the back by county, there isn't even a section for Lincolnshire! Bugger!

Ho hum...

·
diving member
1,996 Posts
I'm going to be moving shortly to Boston in Lincolnshire and it occurs to me that it will bit a bit of a drive to Babbacombe and other such delights of the south coast. In between some Googling I thought I'd throw the question out here, what's to dive up that way?

I'm going to have to find some new dive sites and dive buddies, I need to keep diving, after all the only other outdoor pursuit I really got into was climbing, and I reckon there's even less chance of me taking that up again in Lincolnshire :)
Contary to all the negative posts on here.
I believe the Boston BSAC club is quite active - the East Midland regional coach is a very active member of the club - I suggest you contact them.

I agree the sea there at this time of year isn't worth looking at but then neither is it at Yorkshire or anywhere up the east coast until the Farnes.

cheers Steven

·
10,679 Posts
... the Farnes.
Skimming through I misread this as "ferries" and thought yeah - nip across to Norway innit....

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts