YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Ok, boys and girls, what can you tell me about bottom timers?
?? I am need one for my trimix course. I was told that they are all basically the same - comments please......

Thanks

Lawrence

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

They are - they are simply a means of telling the time underwater (or how long you have been there). Anything from a basic dive watch should do although you can buy specific electronic bottom timers. My computer (Stinger) can be switched into guage mode so I could use that (if I was rich enough to afford a second one)

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

I have an opinon about this, my conclusion was to get a Sunnto Vytech which can be switched into gauge mode, that way you don't have to buy two lots of kit, I will buy one timer (Uwatec) then I have back up.

Just a thought.

Andrew

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

Hi

I also use a Suunto Vytec in guage mode. One thing it does that others don't is show seconds as well as minutes. You can also download your dive profile to PC and stuff.

I have an Uwatec Bottom timer for backup although recently this has gone to my right wrist because the ascent rates are slower than the Vytec. When I used my vytec for monitoring my ascent that would be fine but the uwatec would show an ascent warning.

If I was doing it all again I would just buy the uwatec. The extra £250 ish for the vytec doesn't give you much added value.

Kindest Regards

WL

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Dudes,

Am I missing something here??

I always dive with just my Uwatec/Aladin Smart Pro (and before that my the Nitrox Pro, from which I've just upgraded) as it has all the info you'd need to do the dive (descent, botom time and ascent) and then make all the appropriate ascent rates, safety/deco stops and workout and display and time all the above. And the temp, and you can infrared your dive profile to your PC to boot.

OK, there's no built-in redundancy if the things goes thru'pennies on me and I'm only wearing the one, but I've started using a second Nitrox Pro on my other wrist to address that. Come to think of it, when diving in the UK, I don't even wear a watch.

Have I missed some thing??

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello,
Lawrence why not buy a Vytec  
 I normally use one computer and also have a Citizen Hyper Aqualand but I always dive with a buddy so if any thing happens you can deco with his. 3 years ago I dived the Stubborn sub which is at 58m, we were 4 divers and did exactly same profile, we were 2 using Aladin Pro, one using a Beuchat and other Suunto Solution. The 2 Aladins gave 25min deco, Beauchat 12min and the Suunto error  
 so some times redundancy is good. An other question do DIR use dual timers, I think not as in case of emergancy use of your buddy , what you think  

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Bren

When diving technical (mixed gas, deco dives etc) many divers stop relying on computers and start using d-timers and dive tables only.

For computer users a Uwatec (or similar) d-timer is cheap redundancy.

I'm not convinced myself just yet, but as I take my Trimix I'm sure I'll be shown the virtues of d-timer/tables over computer

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I use my Vytec (£249) at LDS I noticed??? as a primary computer in Nitrox mode for week trimix dives. I pre plan the profile on the Decoplanner for the Trimix dive and check the deeper stops off on a table I then finish the dive on the Vytec after the 6m gas switch. Sounds convoluted but it isnt. Beauty of this system is that you can alter the profile under water due say to the lobby taking an extra 5 at 45 to get and then you can follow the computer home.

I dive with a Air computer back up (Mares Surveyour) which I use as a redundent bottom timer and depth gauge. Unfortunatly I bend it every dive but the batery pops out with a 10p bit and your up and running again

This works well with week trimix like 20/20 because the deco profile is almost the same as air. If you follow the JJ school of thaught all this extended deco for Helium is tosh any way. Mind you he is having a I'm not bent moment so perhaps he is not a good example.

Vytec makes a very good depth and bottom timer in gauge mode due to showing seconds and mins but it also has a re setable stop watch which can be set to 0 at each deco stop depth. So if you are doing rich Helium dives and have to use tables it's just the job.

Mind you if you have loads of cash just get a VR3 and stop pissing about

Mark Chase

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the replies. I was somewhat disappointed  
today when I went to check the OMS (made by Uwatek) bottom timers. They only have imperial measurements up this way, and they cannot be converted over to metric.

This brings me closer to the Vitek - I'll take Mark's and Pierre's advice and buy one. Hey Pierre - I'll buy it from Malta this spring. It's cheaper there than here.  

I'll keep using this piece of art >>Oceanic Data 2 for redundancy. Plus I usually take the watch down too.

Thanks

Lawrence

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

Bren: Using an air/nitrox computer as Dtimer on a mix dive is all well and good until you lock it up as you clock up too much deco and it goes and locks up  

Dave: A Dtimer costs v. little cf to a mix enabled VR3 something like £80 v £800 IIRC. Thats one good reason in my book  

Mr Chase...

Your convoluted methods are not always (ie never) the best way foreward. IIRC your plan involves extra deco to clear your vytec. Be interesting to see if you continue this method as you do deeper mix dives.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] If you follow the JJ school of thaught all this extended deco for Helium is tosh any way.
Not quite, the argument goes that for deep air/nitrox you need to do more/deeper deco than Buhlmann suggests. If you add He to your mix you need less deco than you'd think but still a chunk. Saying that I still get out of the water quicker than you by following the tennants of our American friends  

PS Aren't you glad I joined YD

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I am genuinly pleased you joined YD as I always welcome comment form knoladgable divers:

Please re read thread

Vytec used in 'MY' way is only for week (Shalow) trimix dives

23/20 21/20 19/20 that sort of thing down to 55m

Deeper, longer, higher He mix dives are strictly table dives unles you can aford VR3

I think I said that?

Yes I have to wait to clear the Vytec but I dont mind the extra 5 mins. I often clear the computer and do another 5mins.

I havent got the bug for shaving tables yet I still consider 30min @ 50m to be a wow dive and I give it a healthy safety margin.  

Space on the Mol on the 15th if your interested?

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I always welcome comment form knoladgable divers:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think I said that?
Oops missed that. Sorry

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Space on the Mol on the 15th if your interested?
I wish I could go but I'm not up to speed so I'll have to decline. Shame cos I've never dived the Mol and I heard so much about her. Any way its still waaaaay to cold for me to jump in the sea

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I have an almost new Weezle extreem you can purchase  

It's not needed now as I invested in a 5mm neopreen 03 and tested in 4 deg in stony and 9deg today at Horsea for final pre Mol weight check. It is very warm and comfortable I hope it's as good at depth.

Any way its 10 degrees on the Moll you woos  

After Stony thats a warm bath M8

Dont know about summer trips yet but I will try to put a YD Moll trip together  for August if I get enough interest.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have an almost new Weezle extreem you can purchase
Allready got one.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Any way its 10 degrees on the Moll you woos
Hi! My name is Mark and I'm a woos  

As to the Moll in summer yep interested.

Scotty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts