YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, but yet another Norn Iron diver BUT I am exiled in Leeds. So hello to all.

Not too much experience. In throws of doing PADI DM (and disenchanted to say the least), have about 65 varied dives under my belt and looking for more recreational experience.

Most of the diving at my local school is PADI course stuff with little or no recreational which is not why I took up diving. So if there's any locals who fancy getting wet, be it a quarry, sea or flooded shuck at the side of the road, I'm yer man.

·
No longer open water diver
1,319 Posts
'fraid i'm not local! but always up for a dive on the alastor should you ever be over...

have you thought about joining a bsac club (or a n other club not necessarily bsac!)? we have padi divers diving quite happily with us though we are a bsac branch. any decent club should welcome you with open arms!

all the best, al

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Al

Aye, I'm over quite a bit for the football and stuff and am dead keen to go to Rathlin. Going off Cork in mid June so looking forward to that.

Yes. I have considered BSAC but do not know the craic re my qualifications to now. I'm getting a bit fed up with the Put Another Dollar In mentality tbh.

It seems that PADI schools are not satisfied if you wish to dive for pleasure.

·
1,319 Posts
Lol i was diving around Rathlin at the weekend with Seasearch! It's a lovely place.

BSAC allow divers with different qualifications to cross-over at the BSAC equivalent level - the info is on their website. So with a good club there should be no problem! And you can continue training within the BSAC syllabus.

Another way to get more diving in would be to join up with Seasearch in your area, do their observer course and go on their survey dives. A good way to meet new buddies, dive new sites and learn a bit more about marine biology! :teeth:

Al

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Yes. I have considered BSAC but do not know the craic re my qualifications to now. I'm getting a bit fed up with the Put Another Dollar In mentality tbh.
theres a cross over process with PADI to BSAC, nothing the club wouldn't be up front about, from what you've said if your doing PADI DM training, you'd probably cross over as a BSAC Sports diver and be offered further training to do Dive Leader, at a much more relaxed pace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to you both. Will look into that. Interested about this Seasearch caper. Going to do some research.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hi Al

Aye, I'm over quite a bit for the football and stuff and am dead keen to go to Rathlin. Going off Cork in mid June so looking forward to that.

There is not normally a problem joining a BSAC club. As a Rescue Diver you would join the club as a Sport Diver equivalent and as a DM you would join as a Dive Leader. So as a Rescue Diver you would stay at that grade and train for Dive Leader (if you so desired).

If other BSAC clubs are like ours, then we really are looking for enthusastic divers irespective of grade.

If you are interested then I think Leeds BSAC meet at the international pool near wellington Street.

Gary

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Hi Al

Hi there,

not all PADI Schools are like that... I am proud to say that ours certainly are not... I had the best DM teaching money could buy, and I got far more really than what I paid for so we are not all the same... please do not get downhearted by one clubs methods of business...

Nice to see you on here though, welcome...

B x

·
1,319 Posts
If other BSAC clubs are like ours, then we really are looking for enthusastic divers irespective of grade.
definitely worth looking into! the club system is a good way to meet people and go diving for fun!

SEASEARCH home

has plenty of info on seasearch training and diving.

all the best in finding a diving home!

al

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for your comments. I will look at the BSAC side of things and have already contacted Seasearch - shame there are no reps in Yorkshire but hey.

In terms of PADI/DM - it's not that I am dissing the school - I was chosen for the DM which I guess is good, and the Rescue training I had really was second to none. Ridiculously thorough, not much fun but made me into a much better diver. The school itself is excellent - just not a great deal of pleasure stuff that isn't an organised trip to the Red Sea.

I personally do not think that someone with as little experience as me should even be eligable for DM. That is a dig at PADI I guess. It's the 'get 'em in, get 'em out' thing that grinds me. I love diving. Truely. But the idea of floating around the surface of Capernwray, wondering why my OW student has sunk like a stone again and freezing my nads off is not my idea of having a gloriously good time. Call me old fashioned...:spliff:

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Welcome to YD notbrazil.

There is a bunch from NI on here. Don't worry about defecting, as some from across there have come here to live and dive, so it balances things out a bit.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Welcome to YD notbrazil.

There is a bunch from NI on here. Don't worry about defecting, as some from across there have come here to live and dive, so it balances things out a bit.
Are you talking about me again Paul :teeth:
Yep I did the opposite, came from Leeds to N Ireland :frown:
Ken

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Welcome to YD notbrazil.

Only to infiltrate and subvert from within :D

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
Wot's a club then?

Done all my 'networking' (can I say that on here without fear of horrendous abuse?) in diving via YD. Someone on here to meet most quirks! :D

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Welcome aboard from a Derry escapee

·
Registered
283 Posts
Alright notbrasil, if its recreational diving you're looking for i'm in sunny yorkshire too. I work in pudsey, and can normally organise a dive or two somewhere localish on the weekends if you're up for it. PM me if you fancy a muddy puddle one weekend sometime. Cheers, James

1 - 17 of 17 Posts