YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

At great risk to street cred I'm going to ask this as its been bugging me for a while.
During the dive last week I put air in the suit with the auto valve fully open and it prevented some squeeze, though not all, I then controlled my bouyancy on the wing (single 12 & pony) and thought I'd leave the suit slightly squeezed as I wasnt cold and assumed it would take care of itself.
My profile was generally down along and up (sort of square), but part of the way I did a little bit of saw toothing (deliberately as I wanted to see something higher then lower).
Now as I went up the suit vented as expected and I had to dump some from the wing too, as expected. When I then dropped I had to squirt some back in the suit to prevent squeeze, is this normal. I assume it is as the rise up allowed the gas to expand and be vented. In a true square profile I would have continued up so would not have needed to replace the vented gas. I also had to replace some in the wing too to maintain neutral bouyancy, is this normal.

I know these questions make me sound like a bloody beginner, but these topics werent fully covered in either Padi course as both were done in a wet suit and the dry suit course didnt really cover it either. If I belonged to a club I'd ask there and spare my blushes in public, but I doubt if I'm totally alone in needing this clarified.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Matt,

Yeah, all seems normal to me.

FWIW I just use my suit for buoyancy. My reasoning behind it is that I then only have one thing to deal with in terms of adding or dumping air, this would become (possibly) critical in an emergency as dumping 2 sources on the way up I feel would be task loading.

Juz

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Nothing unusual in that at all Matt,

I do normally close my autodump a couple of clicks,  It still vents on ascent but it seems to give me a bit more control.  

Daz

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

Sounds OK to me too.
I normally leave the surface with my autodump fully open and close it a few clicks on the way down. Do the dive and as I leave the bottom open it fully again.
I only use the wing at the surface.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Quite nornal, Matt! My method is similar to Rupert's. I open the valve fully when I start to descend. When I reach maximum depth I close it fully then open it 3 or 4 clicks, i.e. about half way (I find it easier to find the right setting from fully closed than from fully open but the principle is the same as Rupert's). I leave it half open during my ascent until I reach safety stop depth, then open it fully. I only use my BC on the surface.
PS No need to blush. It took me a while to find the right technique. My drysuit course didn't really cover it either.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

My basic technique is just to leave the dump wide open at all times until I reach the surface.
And yes, every time you descend, you'll have to add a bit of air, as increasing pressure leads to decreased volume of gas. Roll on ADV for drysuits

1 - 7 of 7 Posts